• Stringboy
  • Stringboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
24 Mar 2022 13:16 #62230 by Stringboy
Tool length sensor was created by Stringboy
A simple couple of questions.
Are the tool length sensors any good. I currently and have been for years using the old paper thickness plus a 1/10mm.
Recently I have been thinking of a change.
Secondly, are they effective with wood base boards? There always seems to be a slotted base in the advertising.
Cheers PeteM (V2 D 850)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2022 15:35 #62231 by F7222
Replied by F7222 on topic Tool length sensor
Hi there,

The tool length sensor is already good, I think most members use the sensor
you can ask the question who doesn't use one

Fritz

• MagIO2
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Zu viele Ideen und zu wenig Zeit
More
24 Mar 2022 22:27 - 24 Mar 2022 22:34 #62232 by MagIO2
Replied by MagIO2 on topic Tool length sensor
For setting the initial Z-zero, it does not make such a big difference, I would say. For setting all axes to zero a sensor plate is even more useful, as you can zero all axes (not only Z) and you even can measure the exact orientation of the material and do orientation correction for the whole gcode.

The biggest benefit you have with a tool length sensor is in the tool change process. Especially when your end-result 'destroys' the top surface of the raw-piece in the rough cut.

1. You zero the Z axis with first tool (with sensor or old style) and do the first cut
2. On tool change, you measure first tool, change the tool, then measure second tool and continue with second cut. Z zero is automatically corrected.

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas
Last edit: 24 Mar 2022 22:34 by MagIO2.

• Stringboy
  • Stringboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
25 Mar 2022 12:13 #62234 by Stringboy
Replied by Stringboy on topic Tool length sensor
Wow.
The touch plate sensor looks very good.
Is the macro that accompanies the actual plate accessible.
I have just bought a basic tool length sensor. But would be interested in getting enough info to make a touch plate too.
Cheers PeteM