file Question Issue with the Y axis: is the belt worn out?

• Denus
  • Denus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Jack of all hobbies, master of none!
More
23 Nov 2015 17:03 #27384 by Denus
I was starting a big project today, but all the work is shifted on the Y axis.
And it's not a matter of microns as you can see:

I checked everything, the two Y axis are running freely without too much backlash.
As soon as the Y axis is moving, I hear a strange sound coming from the belt (I think).

I took a picture of the belt: not sure if it's worn out.
If so, that could be the issue because the belt is slipping sometimes, that would explain the current issue I have.

Eurotools-24 G-500 & custom-made aluminium table
Kress 800
TB6560 4V3, UC100, UCCNC

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2015 09:26 #27396 by Rory
check that the pulleys are not rocking a little relative to the ballscrews?

• Denus
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
24 Nov 2015 10:24 #27399 by Denus
That seems to be ok: no backlash, but the pulleys are running freely (I can turn the two axis easily by hand).

I've noticed some serious worn on the belt at some points though.

So I think that all my Y axis issues (strange sounds, damaged pulley as it touched a screw at the backplate, and now the belt) are related.
I have to replace all the worn and damaged parts, and I hope that will be enough to make it run again.

Kress 800
TB6560 4V3, UC100, UCCNC

More
24 Nov 2015 18:04 #27416 by tikka
Maybe the belt didn`t have proper tension or the preload assembly got loose over time (if SC 2 has it). On my machine when Y axis jammed or hit something there was this weird "grrr" sound. Took the small tooth belt cover off and saw how servo wheel kept on spinnig when the axis was mechanically stopped, creating the weird noise.

Stepcraft 600SF (version 1) parallel port
Proxxon IBS/E
Mach3
devCad Cam Pro; devWing Cam; devFus Cam; Profili Pro 2

• Denus
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
24 Nov 2015 19:33 #27422 by Denus
That's possible indeed... the famous "grrr" sound while the unit is not moving...
I don't know where the issues have started, but I need a lot of spare-parts right now to correct the issue.

Weird thing is that the machine was working just fine till a few days ago.

I'll have to wait for an invoice from StepCraft because right now, I'm stuck in the middle of a project... :dry:

Kress 800
TB6560 4V3, UC100, UCCNC

More
30 Jan 2016 09:37 - 30 Jan 2016 09:40 #29893 by Černiauskas
Replied by Černiauskas on topic Issue with the Y axis: is the belt worn out?
Same problem here too. My SC2 840 works very well and boom, y axis loosing positions. And second belt have damaged. How much this belt cost? And maybe would be better if y axis was on 2 motors. Sorry for bad english.

Photo is from first belt. But now is the same.

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: 30 Jan 2016 09:40 by Černiauskas.

More
31 Jan 2016 20:38 #30006 by Rory
Picture looks like belt has been overloaded and has failed between teeth. If the belt is too tight this will happen.

More
01 Feb 2016 20:04 #30017 by Černiauskas
Replied by Černiauskas on topic Issue with the Y axis: is the belt worn out?
Maybe is chance to install 2 motors on y axis? Then the belt is not needed.

More
17 Mar 2016 23:43 - 17 Mar 2016 23:45 #32260 by Mike123
Replied by Mike123 on topic Issue with the Y axis: is the belt worn out?
The same thing happened to me today. I sent StepCraft Support a message, along with a video of what is happening with my belt. During the initial install, I watched their video on setting the proper belt tension so I feel like my belt wasn't set too loose or too tight. What is happening with mine, is that the belt slides back and forth on the 3 bearing tension piece. Often, it slides too close toward the machine and the edge of the Y axis drive pulley. During one of my jobs today, the machine lost all Y axis movement during a diagonal cut, leaving only X moving, which completely messed up my job. The side of the belt closest to the machine is shredded and is no longer reliable. I have only had the machine for about a week so this is a little concerning. I asked them about replacement belts since now I feel as if I should have at least one for backup purposes. It didn't take long for this to happen to me, so hopefully after watching the video I sent them, they can give me some pointers or guidance as to what I did wrong or what I can do to prevent this in the future. Like you all said, everything was working just fine one minute, and then then next, this happens. I hope to be able to get a replacement belt as quickly as possible as this is a showstopper and cannot move forward with my work.
Last edit: 17 Mar 2016 23:45 by Mike123.

More
18 Mar 2016 17:11 #32275 by jonalm
I would inspect the drive pulleys to see if there is any free play and inspect the drive pullys themselves if there is any sort of wobble in them when you turn them i think that would cause the belt attached to move and wear on the edges and teeth.

More
20 Mar 2016 16:27 #32339 by Kivinen
Replied by Kivinen on topic Issue with the Y axis: is the belt worn out?
I also had problem where the belt was moving sideways on the tension support, and this was caused because the pulleys were not aligned. I.e. the Y axis ones were one mm closer to the machine then the Y motor one. This meant that when the belt went from the closest Y axis pulley to the Y motor pulley it was angled slightly and this caused the belt move even further out for the tension support pieces. If I tried to run machine at all without the belt cover the belt immediately fell off from then tension support, thus proved that in normal operation it was hitting the belt cover.

I could not fix this by moving the pulleys, as immediately when I tightened the locking screws the pulley moved back to original position. I did fix this by adding washers between the Y-motor and the frame, i.e., moving the Y-motor about 1 mm away from the frame, which moved the Y-motor pulley 1 mm inwards, and then it aligned with the other pulleys. After that I could run it without belt cover, and the belt stayed in place.

You might want to check that your pulleys are aligned, meaning each of them are out from the frame for equal amount.

Stepcraft 2 840 Kickstarter make anything package
HF500, 3D print, Drag Knife, etc
UCCNC + UC100, V-Carve

More
24 Mar 2016 21:04 #32453 by julius
I don't know if this is the problem but... could be the pulley not correctly mounted on the motor axis?
Loosing steps on the Y-axis that was happening to me too (long time ago) and that was the reason.

SC300 + Spindle HF500 + Portalerhöhung + LinuxCNC + gsimple

More
22 May 2016 00:59 #34323 by emil
When I built my machine a year ago I noticed that when you tighten those things the wurm drive screws through to mower y axis there is play and if you don't get them perfect the y axis can't move freely and will stall your stepper motor. I run Linux cnc and if the computer is not good enough problems like this occurs from missing steps. To be safe I always run part by part in big projects so I can abort if it glitches in y or x axis. Takes more time but it saves expensive carbon fibre plates from being completely wasted. If the machine misses steps from tension or computer problems.

More
22 Nov 2016 18:02 #39631 by steve-o
Replied by steve-o on topic Issue with the Y axis: is the belt worn out?
Just chiming in to share my Y axis issues, which are now resolved. A little off this thread topic but may help someone looking to solve a Y axis jumping issue and maybe save a headache.

After first assembling my 420/V2, the Y axis motor was groaning at 80%+ jog speed. After back tracking the assembly instructions, I missed out a washer on one of the rollers!

After replacing the washer, I adjusted the angles of the Y axis screws to make sure they were central to the bearings either end, adjusted the tension in the rollers and the tension in the belt.

I did a few test cuts which were fine, but today moved onto a larger job. The Y axis was jamming up in the back to center of the machine.

Although it jogged through fine at 100%, the jamming was occurring when stopping and starting.

Turns out the inside (of the three) pulley tension bearings was damaged and wasn't turning, this was causing enough friction to cause the jamming. I put the damaged bearing in between the good two and ran a test - it s now fine, although I need to replace the damaged bearing as the belt is not central. I may have used the wrong washer causing it to knacker the bearing.

I am new to this, but anyone with a similar problem, just be persistent, go through one thing at a time, don't change too many variables at once. Run the machine on a slow jog speed and observe the mechanisms moving, check every part that moves. If it gets too frustrating, walk away get some sleep and look at it again with a fresh pair of eyes.

More
16 Jan 2017 18:11 #42625 by igraudins
Replied by igraudins on topic Issue with the Y axis: is the belt worn out?
I had the same problem with belt moving left and right on the three small ball bearings. With belt cover i wasn't able to determine the problem and my belt became unusable thus all steel cords in the belt broke one by one always flipping on pulleys sides and my 840/2 started loose steps on Y. Had to order replacement belt, but the problem was the same with new belt. I don't know how, but the problem with belt sliding disappeared after i changed the middle ball bearing with another one on the side. All three tension bearings turned smoothly, so i don't actually know what caused the problem. Assembly was done exactly as prescribed with washers in it's place. As I understood, belt tension should be aligned very carefully, so what i did - I started with very low tensioned belt with speed 50 and Y axis moving I put the pressure on Y axis by holding all the moving mechanism with my hand till the machine started no pull herself on the floor while not loosing any steps. Of course this is not the best solution, but my machine was without the T-slot panel which weight is another 22kg's. First what I did, to align ballscrews was to loosen four corner screws in the front and four in the back of the machine, then moved (screwed) with my hands both ballsscrews till the end, tightened first four screws. After that moved along the Y axis till the other end and tightened another four screws. Now everything works like a charm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThomasDbg, david123

• david123
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Hola - Soy Julian
More
04 Jun 2017 03:27 #47847 by david123
Replied by david123 on topic Issue with the Y axis: is the belt worn out?
Hi dear IGRAUDINS. !!

I was reading the adjustment you made with the Y-axis and the ball screws ... and interested me as you did the adjustment of this Y-axis, You say that I moved the screws with the hand from one end to the other ... But I ask how you did it because it is impossible to move with the hands because it is very hard this movement being all the machine assembled.

Please you can give me more details, since I have problems in the Y axis, since I can not reach to any end of the Y axis, neither the minimum nor the maximum, because the movement is locked, it does not move more and it sounds very wrong. This is why my work area has been reduced by 5 cm at each end. Thanks for your help.

"...First what I did, to align ballscrews was to loosen four corner screws in the front and four in the back of the machine, then moved (screwed) with my hands both ballsscrews till the end, tightened first four screws. After that moved along the Y axis till the other end and tightened another four screws. Now everything works like a charm."

More
04 Jun 2017 08:42 #47848 by AlanUK
Hi, to be able to turn the screws by hand the Unit must be turned off, because when power is going to a stepper motor it is active even when not turning.

SC600/2, Kress 1050, UCCNC with UC100, Cut2D Pro, TurboCAD and Fusion 360
The following user(s) said Thank You: david123

More
05 Jun 2017 14:24 #47909 by Rory

david123 wrote: Hi dear IGRAUDINS. !!

Please you can give me more details, since I have problems in the Y axis, since I can not reach to any end of the Y axis, neither the minimum nor the maximum, because the movement is locked, it does not move more and it sounds very wrong. This is why my work area has been reduced by 5 cm at each end. Thanks for your help.

"...First what I did, to align ballscrews was to loosen four corner screws in the front and four in the back of the machine, then moved (screwed) with my hands both ballsscrews till the end, tightened first four screws. After that moved along the Y axis till the other end and tightened another four screws. Now everything works like a charm."

#

mechanical tuning v important

The following user(s) said Thank You: peterg1000, david123, MMorao

More
09 Jun 2017 14:34 #48009 by mazurmaxi
Replied by mazurmaxi on topic Issue with the Y axis: is the belt worn out?
Hi this is Max from Argentina.. My 420/2 started drawing ellipses instead of circles yesterday. I thought it could be some dirt in the rods, but finnaly I realized that the belt was worn out! The machine was running well for about a month of soft use, so I'm very disappointed right now.. And frustrated because is not that easy for me to order a spare and receive it quickly.
I guess something in the construction must change so that normal users like me don't have to deal with too much precision during the assembly.

The following user(s) said Thank You: david123, Bodo

More
09 Jun 2017 17:02 #48013 by peterg1000
Replied by peterg1000 on topic Issue with the Y axis: is the belt worn out?
Rory,

Those videos are excellent, and will hopefully lay to rest problems with Y axis lockups for good and all.

One minor point though - I had to relieve the Y axis remote end bearing housings on my SC420/2 before I could achieve the sort of free movement you demonstrated. Something for builders to bear in mind and not be frightened to do should the occasion arise.

Peter

SC 420/2, Industrial VFD spindle from StoneyCNC
UC100 + UCCNC
Cut2D, Autosketch10, Draftsight, Eagle 9.5.1

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.