file Question Issue with the Y axis: is the belt worn out?

More
05 Jul 2017 11:44 #48565 by MMorao
I've seen Nobel Prizes awarded for less than those two videos :woohoo:

I was indeed moved to get off my ass and follow them and in fact the it's all so simple, so common-sense that even I was able to arrive at a safe harbour! I was staggered by seeing Y moving at 5000 mm/min, I don't think I'll try that stunt, not even after testing the latest Loch Lomond batch!

Even so I managed to f*** up my timing belt due to excessively enthusiastic manual testing, but it had a dodgy splice already. So as a warning, everybody check those belts, that was my second already! I suppose they are purchased in bulk -
ready spliced or spliced in-house, I dunno - and then with the haste inspection if any is cursory. So do check your belts please!

Clockwork Orange is a S600 with 4th axis, Kress 1050. Software is UCCNC, DeskProto, Rhino, DraftSight. Also a Silhouette Cameo for vinyl, plastic card, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2017 23:39 #48582 by Doug
MMorao, you are one of the most entertainingly tongue-in-cheek forum people I have ever come across.

Keep up the good werks mein freund.

Doug

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC
Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery), dsgb.net

More
01 Sep 2021 12:42 #61394 by Peterdeg
Replied by Peterdeg on topic Issue with the Y axis: is the belt worn out?
I had the same with my D600 v2 two times. the problem is that the set screws in the pulleys are coming loose because of vibrations. This will result in the fact that the pulleys are moving sperate and the whole Y is worn. It should also be mounted with loctite to prevent this.
This timing belt is a very weak part of this machine. You should never transfer moments with round axis on round holes only secured by set screws. It would be better if they designed the pulleys with a flat surface and the hole on the pulley equally. I am changing the pulleys with wider ones and changing the belt with a wider one (steel reinforced) and secure all bolts with loctite 243. If this will not help I will purchase the performance upgrade kit with 2 stepper motors.

Peter.