• heustec
  • heustec's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
13 Sep 2014 15:40 #8117 by heustec
cutting foamboard was created by heustec
Hi all,

I've been cutting lots of foamboard at the moment, Ive been using the 1mm downcut cutting tool available from Stoney-CNC with great success, an excellent finish. Make sure you have another piece of foamboard under the one you're cutting though so the tool cuts straight through into that not plywood at 20mm/sec!

feed: 20mm/sec
tool: 1mm downcut
spin: 20k rpm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2014 12:59 #8139 by Rory
Replied by Rory on topic cutting foamboard
20mm/sec is 1200mm/min. We try to work in Metres/min and mm/min for the speeds. Thanks for sharing.

Good work! Can we see some results?

The down_cut and up_cut references are related to the spiral of the cutter. An Upcut will pull materials "upwards" out of the material - this can cause some damage / poorer finish to the top surface.

Down cut cutters pull the material into the material as it cuts. To the top layer finish is much better. However - up cut cutters are better for material removal as the chips get evacuated better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. B

• heustec
  • heustec's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
16 Sep 2014 18:39 - 16 Sep 2014 18:41 #8198 by heustec
Replied by heustec on topic cutting foamboard
Good points Rory, i should have clarified this in my piece!

Once I finish moving house (again) ill try to do some more professional photos, but as a reference, please see the attached picture of a FT22 plane myself and my girlfriend just built! cut completely by my s600 and any rough edges you may see is poor hot glue control *cough not me*

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 16 Sep 2014 18:41 by heustec.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory, Mr. B

More
16 Sep 2014 22:45 #8206 by Rory
Replied by Rory on topic cutting foamboard
;) Super job! lovely example.

More
17 Sep 2014 10:01 #8218 by Mr. B
Replied by Mr. B on topic cutting foamboard
Looks ace.

Stepcraft 420 (version 1) - HXKJ-GS52-400W Air cooled DC spindle - 445nm Blue Laser diode G2

More
07 Nov 2015 14:43 #26657 by shaneS
Replied by shaneS on topic cutting foamboard
Looks good. Did you ever have a problem with the cutter getting clogged up with the dust and ruining the foam? I have. The cutter must have heated the foam enough for it to melt onto the cutter and build up, expand and ruin the project. Anyone have any ideas to keep this from happening?