• AVacaru
  • AVacaru's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
22 Jul 2015 00:01 #23644 by AVacaru
Noise and neighbors was created by AVacaru
Hy there forum,

Since half a year I am waiting for buying a stepcraft router but I did not do it yet because in the future I have to move from where I am currently living. I am wondering how loud are these machines ? I mean can I use them in an apartment building ? Wouldn't I then be the annoying neighbor that is all the time drilling ? Please share your experiences regarding this . I need to adapt my new home to this :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2015 00:42 - 22 Jul 2015 00:43 #23646 by Voltatus
Replied by Voltatus on topic Noise and neighbors
Hi AVacaru,

there are different noise sources:
- the step motors
- the milling motor
- the exhaust (if you use one)

The most noisy source is often the milling motor, but there is a big difference between a very loud Kress and a quite HF-Spindle. The Proxxon is somewhere between.

For me, the noise from stepmotors and the HF500 was still to noisy for working in my flat, so I built a housing for my steppy ( see ). Now, the only noise is my vacuum cleaner, running on low-level.

Cheers,
Thomas

SC 2/420 - Parallel, HF-500, LinuxCNC, Estlcam
Last edit: 22 Jul 2015 00:43 by Voltatus.

More
23 Jul 2015 14:58 #23686 by athersmith
Replied by athersmith on topic Noise and neighbors
Hi AVacaru

It also depends on what you are cutting - for instance engraving on acrylic or cutting balsa wood is much quieter than cutting hardwood.

I would say that you will need some kind of noise suppression such as an enclosure if you are going to be using the Steppy in an apartment. I use mine in a detached separate building, I find that I need ear protection on most jobs.

Stepcraft 2 600
HFS 350
UCCNC

• speedo
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • 420v1 / Sorotec Vakuumtisch / EstlCAM+CNC
More
24 Jul 2015 07:40 #23700 by speedo
Replied by speedo on topic Noise and neighbors
Noise is a definite factor. I collected links to threads with DIY-enclosures:
http://cnc-wiki.de/Modifikationen/Einhausung
Sorry, text is written in german.

Daniel
zenziwerken.de « dxf-downloads von kreativen Projekten
cnc-wiki.de « lesen ... lernen ... fräsen

More
29 Jul 2015 18:34 #23917 by tikka
Replied by tikka on topic Noise and neighbors
One more thing to consider when living in an apartment building is the vibration that is carried through solid structures in contact with the machine. Think about an electric drill. If your neighbour is just revving up the drill in his apartment then it can hardly be heard. As soon as the drilling starts, the noise is considerable, especially if it is a hammer drill. :)

The rubber feet probably help, I have no idea how much though. I took some other precautions as seen here . Haven`t used the machine much and I am cautious about the time of day I use it. No problems so far.

Stepcraft 600SF (version 1) parallel port
Proxxon IBS/E
Mach3
devCad Cam Pro; devWing Cam; devFus Cam; Profili Pro 2