• Kishmul
  • Kishmul's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
27 Oct 2014 11:11 #9733 by Kishmul
Hello was created by Kishmul
Hi

I live in the Scottish Highlands and build static wood models of ships, carts and anything else I am commissioned to produce. I am about to buy a 420, so I thought I'd join in here and see what is going on and what can be achieved.

Regards

Ken

Turbocad, VCarve, UCCNC, 420, HF350.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2014 12:18 #9737 by Mr. B
Replied by Mr. B on topic Hello
Hello Kishmul,

I bought a 420 from StoneyCNC August this year, I dealt with a bloke called Rory top bloke, knows his stuff very helpful. After sales service is excellent.

I consider myself a novice and found the kit straight forward and managed to bung it together pretty much without any trouble. This would be ideal for static wood models of ships.

I have posted some of my festive creations in the forum.

I can highly recommend stoneyCNC as a reputable company to purchase your 420 from.

Best regards
Blan

Stepcraft 420 (version 1) - HXKJ-GS52-400W Air cooled DC spindle - 445nm Blue Laser diode G2

• Kishmul
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
27 Oct 2014 12:28 #9739 by Kishmul
Replied by Kishmul on topic Hello
Hi Blan

Yep, I am already in touch with Rory and will be buying from him.
I have also looked through your Christmas creations.
By a strange coincidence, I will be attending the local Christmas Fair next month selling trinket boxes and the like. At the event I will deliver a commission piece to a client, that plus any profit on the day will go towards the 420!

Ken

More
27 Oct 2014 12:32 #9740 by Mr. B
Great stuff,
take some pictures and share your stuff.

Stepcraft 420 (version 1) - HXKJ-GS52-400W Air cooled DC spindle - 445nm Blue Laser diode G2

• Kishmul
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
27 Oct 2014 12:44 #9741 by Kishmul
Replied by Kishmul on topic Hello
Once I get started I will, but for the moment they are not valid as I have yet to produce anything by CNC!
For the moment, Google "Kishmul Art and Craft" and you should see the sort of stuff I do. You will instantly realise why I am going to invest in a machine!

Ken

More
27 Oct 2014 12:53 - 27 Oct 2014 12:54 #9742 by Mr. B
Great blog,
There are quite a few intricate pieces in the Romani Vardon and yes I can understand why you would require a CNC machine.

I have a blog too handcraftedgenius.blogspot.co.uk the link can also be found too the left just under my profile image.

Last edit: 27 Oct 2014 12:54 by Mr. B.

More
27 Oct 2014 20:19 #9760 by Worldhusky
Replied by Worldhusky on topic Hello

Kishmul wrote: Once I get started I will, but for the moment they are not valid as I have yet to produce anything by CNC!
For the moment, Google "Kishmul Art and Craft" and you should see the sort of stuff I do. You will instantly realise why I am going to invest in a machine!

Ken

Hi Ken - cool stuff! I'm curious to see what you are able to produce with the SC ..... ;)

It's not only about tools it's also about skills! ;)

More
30 Oct 2014 12:35 #9860 by Splitforit
Replied by Splitforit on topic Hello
Hi everyone,

I'm a complete novice to CNC and 3D printing. I bought an S600 with a 3D printer head about a month ago but went direct to Stepcraft as I didn't know about Stoney CNC here in the UK. As a result I've had a few complications to deal with which have delayed my being able to use my machine until this last week (Germany language manuals, euro plugs and problematic USB software). I became pretty frustrated during these issues but thankfully found out about Stoney CNC and contacted Rory who was more than happy to help. Rory set me up with English manuals and the UCCNC software and UC100 controller which are fantastic. I honestly can't thank Rory enough for his help getting me back on track and only wish I'd placed my original order through Stoney CNC as it would have saved lots of time and hassle. Stepcraft have been good enough to refund me for the cost of the WinNC USB software and controller and I'm really happy with the product but it would have been so much simpler to order via Stoney CNC in the 1st place.

So far I've milled a sign for a friends new business and I've printed a plastic whistle (which was surprisingly easy to do). My main reason for buying the machine was to cut the parts for my own RC aircraft designs but I can see it being used for lots of other things besides.

Interested in seeing what the rest of you do with yours!

All the best,

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Firefly

More
31 Oct 2014 23:57 #9928 by neil_paul
Replied by neil_paul on topic Hello
Hi All

I'm also new to the world of Stepcraft CNC machines having purchased a SC420 a few weeks again. I came across these machines in a model aircraft magazine review and was interested by what I saw. I had been looking at buying a 3d printer for a couple of years but hadn't been that impressed by what was available and then here was a machine that was both a CNC router and had the capability to be a 3d printer!

Unfortunately I made the same mistake as Rob and went to Stepcraft in Germany with my order and received a machine with WinPC-NC and Filou software. I found both of these pieces of software difficult to setup and use but after much trial and error I did manage to do some machining with the SC420. I don't read German so I've no idea what the German language instructions are like but the English translations are awful.

Again like Rob I can't say I was impressed by the software side of the machine and didn't at first realise that I could use other software with a Stepcraft machine. But after joining the Stepcraft Forum I kept coming across "UCCNC", "UC100" and "Stoney CNC" and further investigation I found out exactly what they could do. I've since purchased the UCCNC software and a UC100 Motion Controller and found them a great deal easier to use than the German equivalents. As with Rob I wished I'd ordered the whole system from Stoney CNC, as it is I'm going to need their help with configuring the software.

Regards

Neil

More
28 Nov 2014 06:44 #11227 by tugwilson
Replied by tugwilson on topic Hello

neil_paul wrote: Hi All

I'm also new to the world of Stepcraft CNC machines having purchased a SC420 a few weeks again. I came across these machines in a model aircraft magazine review and was interested by what I saw. I had been looking at buying a 3d printer for a couple of years but hadn't been that impressed by what was available and then here was a machine that was both a CNC router and had the capability to be a 3d printer!

Unfortunately I made the same mistake as Rob and went to Stepcraft in Germany with my order and received a machine with WinPC-NC and Filou software. I found both of these pieces of software difficult to setup and use but after much trial and error I did manage to do some machining with the SC420. I don't read German so I've no idea what the German language instructions are like but the English translations are awful.

Again like Rob I can't say I was impressed by the software side of the machine and didn't at first realise that I could use other software with a Stepcraft machine. But after joining the Stepcraft Forum I kept coming across "UCCNC", "UC100" and "Stoney CNC" and further investigation I found out exactly what they could do. I've since purchased the UCCNC software and a UC100 Motion Controller and found them a great deal easier to use than the German equivalents. As with Rob I wished I'd ordered the whole system from Stoney CNC, as it is I'm going to need their help with configuring the software.

Regards

Neil

Hi Neil, Germans are good at making quality machines but when it comes to after sales help they fall down miserably, I went straight to Rory for my machine (420) and the assistance I got from him was outstanding, I make RC boats and aircraft and with my 3D printer there’s not much I cannot produce now.
The one thing I would like to mention is that although Rory is happy to help us where he can, he does not get paid for his time, the Germans sell you the machine then when you cannot get it working poor Rory has to pick up the pieces, It would be good if from now on we all make sure any thing we want as extras are purchased through Stony CNC. This would at lease help him however small that might be.
Regards Tug

More
28 Nov 2014 06:47 #11228 by tugwilson
Replied by tugwilson on topic Hello

blanthegenius wrote: Great blog,
There are quite a few intricate pieces in the Romani Vardon and yes I can understand why you would require a CNC machine.

I have a blog too handcraftedgenius.blogspot.co.uk the link can also be found too the left just under my profile image.

Love your work Ian, hope we see more of this during the year. hope the Chrismas rush does not over load the system....lol
regards Tug