question-circle Question How hard can this be?

• RallyDavidson92
  • RallyDavidson92's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
16 Apr 2018 01:03 #53482 by RallyDavidson92
How hard can this be? was created by RallyDavidson92
I'm thinking about getting a D series 600 to make some parts. One of the first parts I might try is an arm for an RC car. Not knowing a lot about the CNC process, I'm hoping that I can dive into this and start producing decent parts after a bit of trial and error. But I really need help on determining if my thinking is ok.

I created a simple design and rendered it. With a Stepcraft D Series 600, how much trouble will I have trying to make a part like the arm shown in the attached image? Will the rounded corners look grooved? I realize I may have to flip the part to get the rounded edges right, any tips on getting things to line up? Are we talking days to make a part like the one shown? What about finishing? Hoping someone can help me. and thanks!

Thank you for your help!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bodo
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • spanabhebend
More
16 Apr 2018 07:26 #53484 by Bodo
Replied by Bodo on topic How hard can this be?
90% of this part will be feasible.
Assuming the bores are the main functional feature of your part, let's look at drilling the holes for the axes first.

You'd need to flip the part four times, but even then the depth of the drilled holes compared to their diameter would require a long drill. For best dimensional accuracy (especially in terms of parallelism), the holes should be drilled from one side, and depending on your requirements, then reamed to their functional diameter.

Could you fix the part to the machine table with the thin side up?
Would you get a drill in the correct diameter long enough?
Will the drill in the spindle fit above the work piece in its entire length including some gap? Think Z height and travel.

CAD: Inkscape (2D), Creo Parametric (3D); CAM: Estlcam (2D); Creo NC (3D);
CNC: WinPC-NC USB, Haase Cut2500 Pro
The following user(s) said Thank You: RallyDavidson92

• RallyDavidson92
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
18 Apr 2018 21:43 #53501 by RallyDavidson92
Replied by RallyDavidson92 on topic How hard can this be?
Thank you Bodo. I'm thinking of creating 10 at a time so I will need to cut the front and back profiles first, then, using a contoured jig set them in a vice and drill/bore the pin points. Not sure where to get good drill bits of that length required. Hoping that the bit will not be so long that it interferes with the total travel Z.

What speeds and feed rate would be ballpark for milling the part? It's approx 100mm across. 9mm thick bracing.

Thank you for your help!

• Bodo
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • spanabhebend
More
19 Apr 2018 23:36 - 19 Apr 2018 23:42 #53513 by Bodo
Let me clarify - what are the dimension a and b, and what's the radial tolerance between both the orange axes?

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: 19 Apr 2018 23:42 by Bodo.

• RallyDavidson92
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
20 Apr 2018 02:13 #53515 by RallyDavidson92
Replied by RallyDavidson92 on topic How hard can this be?
Dimension a is 70mm, b is 5mm dia. and the tolerance I'd like to achieve is < 0.3mm

Thank you for your help!

• Bodo
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • spanabhebend
More
20 Apr 2018 07:03 #53517 by Bodo
A 5mm drill with more than 70mm drilling depth should be obtainable. Coming back to the thread title, I borrowed a picture from Stoney http://stoneycnc.co.uk/stepcraft-cnc-videos/ , which shows an SC with spindle and tool fitted.

(Stoney, I hope you don't mind that I've borrowed your picture.)

To drill a 70mm deep hole into your part on the SC, you'd need to make sure that the distance 0 to 1 is high enough to let you drive your drill through the part into the sacrificial plate, so that the drill tip dives in completely in order to have the full 5mm diameter throughout the hole; and an air gap between drill and part, in order to avoid scratches.

If 0 to 1 is high enough is also influenced by 1 to 2 (min 70mm + tip), 2 to 3 (depends on the spindle you've chosen).

Alternatively, you could mill the part's contour and the wave shape, and just drill two pilot holes with a short bit; and then take the part to a drill press, and finish the deep holes.

This message has an attachment image.