file Question Milled circuit board with SMD components.

• peterg1000
  • peterg1000's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
13 Feb 2018 17:48 #52697 by peterg1000
Milled circuit board with SMD components. was created by peterg1000
I've had another try at improving circuit boards to use surface mount components. As an experiment I tried using some Chinese 0.2mm 30 degree carbide cutters - the results are excellent, clean edges to the cuts when milled 0.12mm deep. Best of all they are as cheap as chips, around £6 for a pack of 6.

Previous efforts at mounting SMD's have always looked scruffy, even though electrically sound. The problem was always getting an appropriately small amount of solder on the joint even though using solder paste.

My breakthrough was to thin down the solder paste with an alcohol based flux to such an extent that a small drop could be picked up on the end of a cocktail stick and transferred to a component pad. It is surprising how little is needed to form a good looking joint!! Once both pads are treated with paste, the component can be placed and positioned - again using a cocktail stick, and finally held in place and soldered. I use a 0.8mm 370 degree C pencil bit to solder with no additional flux or solder necessary.

When mounting IC's, I firstly solder one corner pin to get the positioning exact, followed by an opposite corner pin to ensure all the remaining pins line up with their respective pads. Lastly a drop of thinned solder paste is placed on all the remaining pins and the soldering completed. Finally the board is washed in IPA to remove any remaining solder paste and flux (probably unnecessary, but I'm super cautious).

Picture below shows a completed board - some of the components have excessive solder before I found the right amount od thinned solder paste to apply.

SC 420/2, Industrial VFD spindle from StoneyCNC
UC100 + UCCNC
Cut2D, Autosketch10, Draftsight, Eagle 9.5.1

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: CNCMiller, Red-Cali

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2018 09:19 #52711 by CNCMiller
Replied by CNCMiller on topic Milled circuit board with SMD components.
Great job,

Looks very good.
What brand of flux you used?

SC 1/420 + Gantry extension, Kress 1050 FME-P, NeJe 20W Laser, WinPC-NC USB v4.00, Vectric Aspire 9, SolidWorks 2021

• peterg1000
  • peterg1000's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
14 Feb 2018 18:27 #52720 by peterg1000
Replied by peterg1000 on topic Milled circuit board with SMD components.
Hi.
I used "Easy Print" solder paste and a liquid flux that simply says "HQ Alcohol Based No Clean Liquid Flux".

Both were bought on Ebay some time ago - the solder paste was almost out of its "use by" period. I don't think this matters if it is thinned with liquid flux or maybe even with just IPA - I'll try this next time I make an SMD circuit board.

Peter

SC 420/2, Industrial VFD spindle from StoneyCNC
UC100 + UCCNC
Cut2D, Autosketch10, Draftsight, Eagle 9.5.1

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.

More
15 Feb 2018 11:38 - 15 Feb 2018 11:38 #52734 by CNCMiller
Replied by CNCMiller on topic Milled circuit board with SMD components.
Thanks,

will check it out, hope I find the right flux/paste for circuit boards and smd components.

SC 1/420 + Gantry extension, Kress 1050 FME-P, NeJe 20W Laser, WinPC-NC USB v4.00, Vectric Aspire 9, SolidWorks 2021
Last edit: 15 Feb 2018 11:38 by CNCMiller.

More
14 May 2018 13:38 - 14 May 2018 13:39 #53755 by unclebuck
Replied by unclebuck on topic Milled circuit board with SMD components.
i managed to get the 840 here to happily go down to 0.5mm pitch for a fpc link board and a custom pci-e card and circuit used flatcam to process the board and copper removal. Soldered the smd parts using a JBC Nase Nano

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 14 May 2018 13:39 by unclebuck.