file Frage Stepcraft is an "unbaked product" and i hate it

Mehr
28 Nov 2016 16:36 - 28 Nov 2016 17:22 #39879 von orenhag
Bought the Stepcraft 420.

Went to the factory in Germany to pick it up.

Nobody explains what exactly one needs to control this machine.

Its supplied with a useless usb module which connects to a useless non Gcode software.

After assembling the machine most of the axis where got stuck.

The only advice from Stepcraft was to disassemble and reassemble this machine.

I had it for 5 months now and didnt manage to cnc one single thing.

This product is useless. If u are considering buying a Stepcraft - STAY AWAY!

Lost more than 2K$ for this defective product.

I lost hope.
Letzte Änderung: 28 Nov 2016 17:22 von orenhag.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Alexxfx

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
28 Nov 2016 17:51 - 28 Nov 2016 17:53 #39887 von Andys1957
Here are lots of results made with this "useless product" by lots of users who love their Stepcraft...

Fräse: SC 2/600 mit PerfKit, T-Nut, Vakuum, Kress 1050 FME-1
CAD, CAM, Steuerung: FreeCAD, Estlcam, Estlcam/Arduino ("Forums-Shield")
Laser, Software: Sculpfun S30 Pro, Eleksmaker A3 mit Atomstack R30 (IR), Lightburn
3D-Druck: FB Reborn 2, Art. Genius und Gen. Pro, CTC Bizer, Elegoo Mars
Letzte Änderung: 28 Nov 2016 17:53 von Andys1957.

Mehr
28 Nov 2016 18:00 #39889 von orenhag
I guess u have to German to operate it. Or to read IMPORTANT information about it.

Also. Try emailing Stepcraft for help in English. Disaster.

And this said after seeing all those photos of about 15 people who made this useless product operate.

Mehr
28 Nov 2016 18:04 #39890 von bvs
Seems you are really not happy.
Do you want to sell the machine??

Watch what's Possible with sc
Nice Christmas gifts

Dieser Beitrag enthält einen Bildanhang.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um ihn zu sehen.

Mehr
28 Nov 2016 18:07 #39892 von orenhag
PM if you want to buy it!

I saw your work on the German thread. Very nice.

Unfortunately, most ordinary people cannot assemble and operate it.

I struggled with this machine too long now, i wish i got a BTZ CNC instead.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Alexxfx

Mehr
28 Nov 2016 18:13 #39894 von bvs
Please make a price and show pictures of the stepii

• MagIO2
  • MagIO2s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Zu viele Ideen und zu wenig Zeit
Mehr
28 Nov 2016 19:01 #39900 von MagIO2
Did you buy the construction kit or the ready to run machine?

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas

Mehr
28 Nov 2016 20:11 #39904 von DerRoy
Obviously he bought the DIY kit.
Well, there are hundreds of examples that this machine is not crap. Yes, you can find those people right here.

If you give just a few more informations, I am quite sure you will find a lot of guys who would try to help you.

The hint from Stepcraft to disassemble and re built the machine is not wrong. Use the example videos you find at YouTube as a help and do it slow and carefully.

MfG
Roy

SC 600/2; SolidWorks; UCCnC und UC100; EstlCam und Arduino Steuerung; KRESS 800kfme;

Mehr
28 Nov 2016 21:12 #39908 von alpenkreuzer
Maybe you are NOT the right one to assemble and operate this machine. Maybe you will have the success you supposed to have with the Stepcraft with a BTZ.

Therefore my proposal: send me a PN offering your machine for a fair and reasonable price, disassemble the machine and I will buy it.

wbr Michael

Gruss Michael

begonnen mit 420/2, Alu-Fräse "KARLA" (noch im Bau)
EstlCam mit Arduino NANO, WinPC-NC USB
Kress, QCAD, Fusion 360, Inventor, Winghelper

• MagIO2
  • MagIO2s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
28 Nov 2016 21:12 #39909 von MagIO2
Ah .. found the other thread.

About the initial statement in the headline:
There are always 2 sides. From perspective of your Steppi, you are an "unbaked mechanic". Propably it would be happy to escape from you.

I can understand your frustration, but blaming stepcraft simply means shifting the blame and does not help. If you are totally untalented you should have bought the ready to run version, which I expect to be cheaper than the BTZ.

But in the end BTZ needs the same maintenance and can fail after months/years of operation. What do you do then?

Maybe you live close to another SC user who can help? Maybe you have a hackerspace close to you? There is no option, you have to learn the basics. Well at least if you come over the blaming phase.

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas

Mehr
28 Nov 2016 21:17 #39911 von bvs
it would be nice to get him his machine working.
Maybe there is some glue in the stepper motor bearings .

he sells only together with hf500 :(

Mehr
28 Nov 2016 21:21 #39913 von bvs
hello Michael
30% off with hf500 was his price (PN)

Mehr
28 Nov 2016 23:08 - 28 Nov 2016 23:12 #39916 von orenhag
BVS - Thank you for being a good sales person.

alpenkreuzer - Can the "wrong person" get a refund from Stepcraft or he lost 2k$?

Magio2 - I wish I could read German and have some access to all the useful information in the German part of the forum. Bcz for English there is hardly any help.

I bought this machine to help me with my electronics projects. I Diy a lot. never did a CNC machine but did a lot of projects. I believe that selling this machine as a "turn key" product is not in par with reality. I am also disappointing from the fact i need to take it apart and reassemble it without even knowing whats wrong with it.
Letzte Änderung: 28 Nov 2016 23:12 von orenhag.

Mehr
29 Nov 2016 05:22 - 29 Nov 2016 05:26 #39917 von Worldhusky

orenhag schrieb: Magio2 - I wish I could read German and have some access to all the useful information in the German part of the forum. Bcz for English there is hardly any help.

Hi orenhag - welcome to the forum!

whats about to make a solid deal: :woohoo:

Let the freaks here help you to get your machine up and running and your payback would be to take care of the forum user in the english speaking section ...

Belief me - you will learn a lot on your journey to a functional cnc machine and other user are more than happy to got one or two hints from a fellow countryman with hand on experience!

BTW: What is the meaning of: Two birds with one stone ... :whistle:

It's not only about tools it's also about skills! ;)
Letzte Änderung: 29 Nov 2016 05:26 von Worldhusky.

Mehr
29 Nov 2016 08:56 #39919 von DerRoy
Two birds with one stone -> Zwei Fliegen mit einer Klappe erschlagen.

@Orenhag: We would really love to help, but we really need a few more informations.
Maybe you can make a video? I strongly believe your problems are a result of misalignment during the setup of the unit. A mechanical reassembly could help.

BR
Roy

MfG
Roy

SC 600/2; SolidWorks; UCCnC und UC100; EstlCam und Arduino Steuerung; KRESS 800kfme;

Mehr
30 Nov 2016 19:27 #39973 von orenhag
Roy - Thank you. Youre a light an the end of a tunnel with stepcraft complete lack of english support.

I just dont get this alignment issue. I get it mechanically but i dont get the design notion behind it. why design the machine like that?

More than half of the people here need to un tight screws to make it run. Some people here wrote they filed layers of paint to gain extra mm. Also, the alignment of the axis as seen in the videos looks like "mambo jambo" (although i did it all meticulously).

I realize its all about fiddling with this machine. Until everything will fall into place and at best I'll get a high maintenance short lifetime machine. Just a bummer imo. Something i thought would be avoided by buying a German brand and not Chinese.

I'll prob continue to disassemble and reassemble it. I'll do my best to keep screws good and hope ill eventually CNC something. Prob around 2027.

Mehr
01 Dez 2016 13:24 - 01 Dez 2016 13:29 #39996 von Doug
Hi there.

I understand your frustration here and I feel some of it myself. Stepcraft should provide detailed instructions on the sensitivities of these machines and how best to alleviate them (a systematic alignment troubleshooting guide if you like). Too many customers, particularly of the larger footprint machines have (reasonable) expectations that meticulous adherence to the build instructions will yield a fully functioning and properly tuned machine when this is not the case. In this respect it is a bit 'unbaked', as you put it.

I would like to suggest a couple of key tips for axis alignment:

1. Some free play in the bearing seat(s), especially at the non driven end is actually helpful. The track roller and extrusion provide the alignment, the lead screw & ball nut assembly provide the linear drive. The two functions are not fully mutually inclusive ;-) A number of users have facilitated this by removing some powder coat from the bearing seat as you acknowledge.

2. Once there is sufficient free play in the lead screw(s), align it/them by loosening the end plate or gantry, drive the track rollers/gantry to one end, align each (in the case of Y axis) then tighten up the end plate screws. This process acts to self-align the assembly.

Going forward, I will also be reducing the full travel speed from 3,000 to 2,000 mm/min. My hardwood cut speed is 1,500 mm/min. At this speed, very fine dust is produced rather tham chips indicating that there would scope to increase speed on a more robust platform.

A surprising issue I noticed recently was resistance in the X stepper motor (when it was de-energised of holding torque, obviously). Exercising it by hand freed it off so I can only presume that some glue was fouling the rotation.

I hope this helps.

Doug

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC
Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery), dsgb.net
Letzte Änderung: 01 Dez 2016 13:29 von Doug.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: orenhag, david123, Alexxfx

Mehr
01 Dez 2016 19:30 #40005 von Doug
Today, in addition to enlarging the size of the bearing rebates in the front plate, I have also had to substantially enlarge the size of the screw mounting holes in the front plate to avoid it misaligning the extrusions when the mounting screws are tightened. Now the front plate is tightened, both lead screws turn easily by hand. You might want to look at this aspect too.

Doug

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC
Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery), dsgb.net
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: orenhag, david123

Mehr
09 Dez 2016 21:37 #40403 von MMorao
I agree it's a damnably unbaked product and I hate it too! I bought one 600 from StoneyCNC in kit form and it was a Triumph des Willens to get it assembled and running! However, thanks mostly to the good humour and patience on Rory Stoney's part, I'm pleased to say my Clockwork Orange runs accurately and with no snags.

Look, I'm not being dismissive, I know well it IS a major frustration. There are a number of competent people in this forum and I'm definitely not one of them, so I have full authority of the worst kind :P

Please take a few deep breaths, pick up that irritating assembly manual and retrace every single step. Be ready to dismantling anything you are not sure of and reassemble. That helps, and please don't ask how I found out, it's too embarrassing. When in doubt, please put your queries here if possible with a photo or two, I'm sure you'll find somebody willing and able to answer and in good old English to boot (I'm not a native speaker) :) I'm sure those German staff will be unable to efficiently take care of you as they'll likely be busy inventing new glitches not documented here yet :woohoo:

I initially bought the barebones model, and I'm adding the 4th axis and will add more upgrades as the need comes, that's how confidant I've become.

Clockwork Orange is a S600 with 4th axis, Kress 1050. Software is UCCNC, DeskProto, Rhino, DraftSight. Also a Silhouette Cameo for vinyl, plastic card, etc.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: david123, Doug

• MagIO2
  • MagIO2s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
09 Dez 2016 22:00 #40404 von MagIO2
Well ... looks like you learned a lot. Next you can buy a car construction kit from your favourite german car brand. :silly:

Gruß, Andreas
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: mcc, david123, MMorao