question-circle Frage Cusom Enclosure CAD -- Rough 3D models?

Mehr
26 Jan 2017 01:46 #43209 von gruvin
Cusom Enclosure CAD -- Rough 3D models? wurde erstellt von gruvin
Hello

I'm designing a custom enclosure for my SC-600 and I'm wondering if Stepcraft have released any basic CAD models of their machines? Obviously they won't want to release full designs. But how about some single-piece, solid block without internal details?

This would be very useful for getting enclosure design sizes right.

Just a thought. Thanks!

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

• MagIO2
  • MagIO2s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Zu viele Ideen und zu wenig Zeit
Mehr
26 Jan 2017 06:07 #43210 von MagIO2
Welcome to the forum!

And just an answer ... are you serious?
Open a CAD software, draw 3 squares, pull, DONE!

Takes longer to write down the question.

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas

Mehr
26 Jan 2017 09:35 #43216 von CNCMiller
CNCMiller antwortete auf Cusom Enclosure CAD -- Rough 3D models?
Use this information from Stepcraft.
Dimensions of the respective enclosure (L x B x H):
300: 618 x 452 x 624 cm
420: 738 x 542 x 694 cm
600: 954 x 662 x 694 cm
840: 1212 x 842 x 694 cm

then your SC600 fits in it

SC 1/420 + Gantry extension, Kress 1050 FME-P, NeJe 20W Laser, WinPC-NC USB v4.00, Vectric Aspire 9, SolidWorks 2021
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: unclebuck

Mehr
26 Jan 2017 12:44 #43228 von unclebuck
unclebuck antwortete auf Cusom Enclosure CAD -- Rough 3D models?

MagIO2 schrieb: Welcome to the forum!

Perhaps the reason for the question is that the original poster is restricted in space for the cabinet and by having the dimensions they can plan accordingly.

Thanks to CNCMiller for taking the time to help rather then criticize
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: CNCMiller, Doug

Mehr
26 Jan 2017 14:15 #43238 von MMorao
Hi Gruvin,

The dimensions CNCMiller provided may seem a bit exaggerated but you have to bear in mind clearance for the wiring on one end opposed by the need to easily reach the emergency button on the other, and also you need ample headroom if you think of the spindle power cable and the dust extractor tube coming from the top. Also on the sides you need clearance to be able to open the side flaps covering the Y-axis assemblies, left and right.

No need to ask how I found out all that :oops:

Clockwork Orange is a S600 with 4th axis, Kress 1050. Software is UCCNC, DeskProto, Rhino, DraftSight. Also a Silhouette Cameo for vinyl, plastic card, etc.

• MagIO2
  • MagIO2s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
26 Jan 2017 15:04 - 26 Jan 2017 15:11 #43239 von MagIO2
@unclebuck:
What I read in the original question is, that gruvin is asking for a CAD model which has the detail level of a simple box. My understanding is, that he want's to plan the enclosure in the CAD itself.
Under this conditions my pragmatic approach I shared here - rather than criticism - was to construct that model by himself in the CAD software. Google sketchup, Design Spark Mechanical, Autodesk 360 .... in all those programs it's really easy to create such a simple model by yourself rather than writing this question and waiting for a response.

The size of the machine is not a secret.

So, perhaps my answer was not to criticize the question as such, but to get gruvin starting on his own. Actually I don't know why my response had a negative touch for you. Maybe you are willing to explain? If there is consens in the forum about the negative touch, I want to apologize for this misunderstanding. (For me it looks like we had such an issue with native vs. non native speakers in another thread)

You may rest assured that I try to help wherever I can! And maybe all of us should simply bear in mind that usually the people here in the forum are very friendly - especially if compared to some other forums I know.

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas
Letzte Änderung: 26 Jan 2017 15:11 von MagIO2.

Mehr
26 Jan 2017 16:43 #43242 von DerRoy
@Mag|O2

Speaking for me, I exactly understood your answer as you described it.
Finding the dimensions is not an issue at all and drawing this box takes less time than writing this post. Full acknowledge here.

BR
Roy

MfG
Roy

SC 600/2; SolidWorks; UCCnC und UC100; EstlCam und Arduino Steuerung; KRESS 800kfme;

Mehr
26 Jan 2017 18:41 - 26 Jan 2017 18:43 #43249 von CNCMiller
Gruvin,

I have still a stylist model of a S420/1 machine in SketschUp available, you can scale that to the S600 dimensions.
I made my enclosure out of MDF and designed this in Solidworks.
The SketschUp file is available but I can't get it in this massage.
I you want it tell me.

good luck

SC 1/420 + Gantry extension, Kress 1050 FME-P, NeJe 20W Laser, WinPC-NC USB v4.00, Vectric Aspire 9, SolidWorks 2021
Letzte Änderung: 26 Jan 2017 18:43 von CNCMiller.

Mehr
26 Jan 2017 18:50 #43250 von Rahul

CNCMiller schrieb: Use this information from Stepcraft.

So, my 840 is larger than the machines at MAK/Caterpillar?
I think you meant mm³.

For service purpose I would plan the footprint a bit larger: about 20cm per dimension (X/Y)

Fräse: SC 2/840 USB, Proxxon IBS/E STEPCRAFT HF-500, Werkzeugwechsler + WZLS + T-Nutentisch
3D-Drucker: MendelMax 1.5
CAD: Designspark Mechanical, Eagle
CAM: Estlcam V9, DeskProto

• MagIO2
  • MagIO2s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
26 Jan 2017 20:59 - 26 Jan 2017 21:02 #43260 von MagIO2
Remember that you have to maintain the machine each 10 hours of runtime. Either you have good access to all the parts that need maintenance or the machine can easily been taken out of the enclosing.

@CNCmiller:
The forum has limits for filesize and filetype. ZIPing could help. There is a howto from forum admins (I think it's a sticky thread) which gives more details.

If you are willing to share, I'd prefere that you try to upload it here so that other people finding this thread out of the same reason also find the file.

Gruß, Andreas
Letzte Änderung: 26 Jan 2017 21:02 von MagIO2.

Mehr
26 Jan 2017 22:02 #43264 von Worldhusky
Worldhusky antwortete auf Cusom Enclosure CAD -- Rough 3D models?

Rahul schrieb:

CNCMiller schrieb: Use this information from Stepcraft.

So, my 840 is larger than the machines at MAK/Caterpillar?
I think you meant mm³.

cm ????? :pinch:
mm³ ???? :pinch:

Hey Guys - you are really hard trying to confuse me! Yep - you were successful!!!! :woohoo:

BTW: Could someone please explain to me why the (e.g.) SC2/600 Version in Germany has not the same dimensions like the SC2/600 in the US?

Homepage Stepcraft:

Stepcraft US
SC/2 600
Overall Size: 28.74″ x 22.44″ x 20.08″ (730 x 570 x 510mm)

Stepcraft Germany
SC/2 600
Overall size (LxBxH): 737 x 558 x 510 mm / 29.1 x 21.9 x 20.08 inch

It's not only about tools it's also about skills! ;)

• MagIO2
  • MagIO2s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
26 Jan 2017 22:22 #43265 von MagIO2
Think about it, mm3 is correct ... you could also write x mm * y mm * z mm :cheer:

Gruß, Andreas

Mehr
26 Jan 2017 22:55 - 26 Jan 2017 22:57 #43267 von Worldhusky

MagIO2 schrieb: Think about it, mm3 is correct ... you could also write x mm * y mm * z mm :cheer:

Cubic millimeter is correct? That tells me nothing about the x, y or z dimension! That is a volume unit and only the result of a x, y, z volume calculation! How will you use it in first place to manufacture a fitting enclosure?
Ok,maybe just me! Maybe I need to start completely over .... I'll start at elementary school .... :woohoo:

Letzte Änderung: 26 Jan 2017 22:57 von Worldhusky.

• Bodo
  • Bodos Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • spanabhebend
Mehr
26 Jan 2017 23:52 #43269 von Bodo

Worldhusky schrieb: BTW: Could someone please explain to me why the (e.g.) SC2/600 Version in Germany has not the same dimensions like the SC2/600 in the US?

Homepage Stepcraft:

Stepcraft US
SC/2 600
Overall Size: 28.74″ x 22.44″ x 20.08″ (730 x 570 x 510mm)

Stepcraft Germany
SC/2 600
Overall size (LxBxH): 737 x 558 x 510 mm / 29.1 x 21.9 x 20.08 inch

German variant includes wing mirrors as per DIN definition. Also, if you compare weights, you will find that the German variant is 75.03kg heavier than the US variant, since DIN includes the weight of an average operator and ready to run means it has a 3.175mm cutter included in the weight.

Warnung: Spoiler! [ Zum Anzeigen klicken ]

CAD: Inkscape (2D), Creo Parametric (3D); CAM: Estlcam (2D); Creo NC (3D);
CNC: WinPC-NC USB, Haase Cut2500 Pro

Mehr
27 Jan 2017 02:06 #43272 von Worldhusky

Bodo schrieb: German variant includes wing mirrors as per DIN definition. Also, if you compare weights, you will find that the German variant is 75.03kg heavier than the US variant, since DIN includes the weight of an average operator and ready to run means it has a 3.175mm cutter included in the weight.

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: That was a good one!!! For a moment I was following your explanation which ended abrupt with a head scratching ....
WHAT is he talking about????

Bodo schrieb: Rounding error from metric to imperial?

The figures are to much of for just to be an rounding error. But I agree .... I think the problem is based in the same corner and has nothing to do with the real physical dimensions of the SC ... :whistle:

Thanks for this "chuckle". ;)

Mehr
27 Jan 2017 10:22 - 27 Jan 2017 10:31 #43286 von CNCMiller
I see it now.
This is another example of copy paste direct from the stepcraft site.
of-course this shout be in mm.
Another flaw on the website of stepcraft.

here the sketsup file

Dieser Beitrag enthält einen Anhang.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um ihn zu sehen.

Letzte Änderung: 27 Jan 2017 10:31 von CNCMiller.

Mehr
27 Jan 2017 12:43 #43296 von Rahul

Worldhusky schrieb:

MagIO2 schrieb: Think about it, mm3 is correct ... you could also write x mm * y mm * z mm :cheer:

Cubic millimeter is correct? That tells me nothing about the x, y or z dimension! That is a volume unit and only the result of a x, y, z volume calculation! How will you use it in first place to manufacture a fitting enclosure?
Ok,maybe just me! Maybe I need to start completely over .... I'll start at elementary school .... :woohoo:

mm³ ist nothing else than mm * mm * mm. Like in Nm you just ignore the * (N*m) and since all unit are the same there is ³ added. If you have to describe an plain you use the length * width m², or not?
It's just the shortest form of mm * mm * mm.
The given measures x * y * z cm would describe a matrix with x parts * y parts of z length.

Fräse: SC 2/840 USB, Proxxon IBS/E STEPCRAFT HF-500, Werkzeugwechsler + WZLS + T-Nutentisch
3D-Drucker: MendelMax 1.5
CAD: Designspark Mechanical, Eagle
CAM: Estlcam V9, DeskProto

Mehr
28 Jan 2017 23:18 - 28 Jan 2017 23:22 #43389 von gruvin

MagIO2 schrieb: Welcome to the forum!

Hey, thanks!

Yes

Umm ... that would be a cad model of some cuboids. I want a Stepcraft SC-600 Personal Desktop CNC machine, with the correct colours, etc ... because it ...

a) looks better
b) also assists in designing custom attachments
c) looks better
d) isn't a cuboid
e) is what I asked about in the first place
f) Stepcraft might benefit from having nice looking 3D models of their stuff show up all over the Fusion 360 Gallery, GrabCAD and so on.
g) I thought about it
h) I'm too lazy (atm) to do it myself
i) cuboids lack character (e'hem!)

Ideally, the carriages would be separate and thus animatable. (Is that a word?) The details of all the wheels, bearings, etc are (obviously?) not required.

Not as long as having to explain it, though. :p

I too have been diagnosed as exhibiting Asperger's Syndrome, placing me somewhere near the bottom of my autism class. In time, many of us learn to fane social civility, despite it being far less fun, for us at least. All the best with that. :-)
Letzte Änderung: 28 Jan 2017 23:22 von gruvin.

Mehr
29 Sep 2020 12:05 #59598 von StefanD
Hi there!
I created a simple model of my StepCraft-2 D600 for simple visualizations. It is just an approximation, which I used to plan my enclosure in Fusion 360.
Have fun with it. ( grabcad.com/library/stepcraft-2-d-600-approximate-model-1 )

Cheers,
Stefan