file Frage software and/or options to choose

Mehr
06 Dez 2014 22:42 - 06 Dez 2014 22:43 #11696 von demi
software and/or options to choose wurde erstellt von demi
Dear all,

First thank you for the support you will bring to my different requests. As I explained in the user presentation, I'm new in the stepcraft world and as well I read a lot of topics in the forum, some questions stay in my head. Please find the summary regarding my big interest on the 420 model.

*/ If I well understand, this 420 version could be delivery with
  1. USB port (ref.10113) => in this case I would have to choose between
    • WinPc Starter
    • WinPC Full
    PS: I noted that Starter version may be updated later to the full one)
    [/ul]
  2. PARALLEL port (ref.10112) => other softwares could be used to drive the 420 machine such
    • MACH 3 + UC100 adapter
    • UCCNC + UC100 adapter
    PS= is the WinPC Starter included with the // version ?
    [/ul]

*/ If this is well understand for me, and regarding the fact that I would add the 3Dprinting option on this machine, would this option run better
  • with USB or // port ???
  • with WinPC nor Mach3 nor UCCNC

I hope my questions are "clear", because my shopping card is waiting for confirmation :-)... but I'm not sure about the most interresting port choice I have to do. (I hope Christmas will append before the date)

*/ My last question is : I generaly used Inkscape (+ Profscan) to obtain and controle the *.dxf files, but as I have now to create GCode before sending the file to the WinPC/Mach3/UCCNC, witch software (free or not) would you advise ?

Thank you for your support, :-)
Best regards

Imagination has no limit ...
Letzte Änderung: 06 Dez 2014 22:43 von demi.

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

• MagIO2
  • MagIO2s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Zu viele Ideen und zu wenig Zeit
Mehr
06 Dez 2014 23:45 - 06 Dez 2014 23:54 #11702 von MagIO2
MagIO2 antwortete auf software and/or options to choose
If you have a PC with a parallel port you don't need any other controller. Simply connect PC and Steppi (parallel port) with a printer cable.
As far as I know UC100 adapter is needed to connect via USB.

When buying the parallel port card there is NO software included.

For 3D printing you need the Full version of WinPC in case of a USB port setup.
For a parallel port setup I don't know which software you need. There is propably some software (open source) which can be configured in a way that it will work together with the stepcraft.

In CNC world you have 3 steps:
1. Create the CAD file describing the part (2D or 3D) with correct width, length (height). 2D would be a DXF-file.
2. Use a CAM software to convert the CAD into machine dependend files (for example including the tool-radius correction). For 3D those programs are called slicer. Output in most times is the g-code-file
3. Use a program or sw/hw combination to run the machine according to the file generated in step 2.

Inkscape belongs to step 1 and you can still use it. Other examples for step 1 software: CorelDraw, LibreCAD, QCAD, DesignSpark Mechanical or PCB, FreeCAD, SketchUp, Eagle, Blender ... depending on what you want to produce.

Examples for step 2 software is EstlCAM, BoCNC, CAMBam, Slicer

Step 3: g-code-sender, WinPC NC, LinuxCNC, grbl

To make things easier for the (dummy ;o) user in 3D printing, steps 2 and 3 are usually combined in 1 SW, for example cura

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas
Letzte Änderung: 06 Dez 2014 23:54 von MagIO2.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: AJuncaoDesign

Mehr
07 Dez 2014 11:15 - 07 Dez 2014 11:17 #11705 von demi
demi antwortete auf software and/or options to choose
Thank you for you reply MagIO2, some points are more clear now.
As I have no LPT1 port anymore (except on very old IBM laptop), I must go on the USB way.
  1. If I choose the "420 USB Beginner" version, I have the USB port with the starter WinPC.
    => Can I then use Mach3 or UCCNC with this USB port for sure ?
  2. If I chooses the "420 USB Full" version, I don't need any Mach3 or UCCNC.

As I do not used these softwares in the past, is there anyone that is more "usefull" or "logical" ?? I well understand this is a very subjective question ...

To conclude my shopping card, Could I start to work with the package
  • SC420 USB full
  • Inkscape or blender or 123Design => DXF 2D/3D drawings
  • BoCNC for radius correction (2D)
  • Slicer for 3D and 3D printing files
  • WinPC CN to drive the SC420

I noticed that Slicer is integrated in the Repetier soft that is very often used for 3D printing ... Does somebody use this soft to slice CNC projects ?

Thank you for your help.
Have great sunday.

Letzte Änderung: 07 Dez 2014 11:17 von demi.

• MagIO2
  • MagIO2s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Zu viele Ideen und zu wenig Zeit
Mehr
07 Dez 2014 12:53 - 07 Dez 2014 12:53 #11711 von MagIO2
MagIO2 antwortete auf software and/or options to choose
1. The USB card sold by stepcraft only works with WinPC NC.
2. Yes

• SC420 USB full -> OK
  • Inkscape or blender or 123Design => DXF 2D/3D drawings -> OK
  • BoCNC for radius correction (2D) -> ?, I only used it rarely. Most people here use EstlCAM
  • Slicer for 3D and 3D printing files -> 3D printing itself is done with WinPC NC. As input you need a g-code file I guess.
  • WinPC CN to drive the SC420 -> OK

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas
Letzte Änderung: 07 Dez 2014 12:53 von MagIO2.

Mehr
08 Dez 2014 13:55 #11764 von Rory
Rory antwortete auf software and/or options to choose
The machine can come with WinPC starter. this must be used with Corel Draw (.plt files). This is not a Gcode controller. The WinPC starter card can only run winPC starter (possible to upgrade in future to WinPC full). you cannot run Mach3/UCCNC on the winPC starter card

WinPC full version is a Gcode based controller. So you need a Gcode generator. something that can convert DXF files into toolpaths. We have found cut2D from Vectric.com to be excellent and users can learn to use it quickly. there are others - as mentioned previously here.

the Parallel card allows you to connect the machine to an LPT connection. This can run WinPC, Mach3 and UCCNC direct from LPT output from PC. BUT its recommended to use the USB controllers to do this. The winPC full version comes with a specific card for the SC to operate on WinPC full version. for Mach3/UCCNC you should use the UC100.

if you choose the winPC full version - this is equivalent to using Mach3/UCCNC with the UC100. So you are choosing to use winPC full version instead of Mach3 or UCCNC.

If you want to 3D print AND mill on your SC machine - you need at least WinPC full version / Mach3 / UCCNC. winPC starter cannot control the machine for 3D printing.

Good luck!! keep us posted on your future projects.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Thörnfeldt

Mehr
08 Dez 2014 21:26 #11779 von demi
demi antwortete auf software and/or options to choose
Hello,

Thank you two for you replys, there are helpfull.

=> WinPc full, Mach3 and UCCNC can drive the SC420 for CNC or 3Dprinting ... that's interessting to know.
=> Regarding that no // are available on my PC, if I choose today WinPC USB full and then I want to change to mach3/UCCNC later, I would have to change the usb card with // card ? (as they need UC100 for USB communication)

My last question is about the choice of softwares themself :
When I compare the interfaces of these 3 software, Mach3 and UCCNC look more like "industrial" layouts.
On the other hand, WinPC CN looks like "Word or Excel" ...

Witch one feel more logical or feel to be "easy" in use ? or more complete ?

Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: VASILESCU