file Frage STEPCRAFT and Mach3

Mehr
26 Aug 2014 00:25 #7636 von Rory
STEPCRAFT and Mach3 wurde erstellt von Rory
This post is designed to help those who wish to connect and control their STEPCRAFT with a Mach3 controller.

you can find more information See here about the configuration and installation.

STEP 1. Is to install Mach3 on your PC - you can download Mach3 from the artsoft website .

STEP 2. Is to validate your Mach3 license with your license file. you can get a mach3 license from the Artsoft website.

STEP 3. Is to configure your UC100 motion controller. you can connect to Mach3 with just an LPT cable if you have a PC with an LPT output - however - we recommend using a UC100 motion controller

STEP 4. Once you have installed Mach3 and configured your UC100 motion controller you are now ready to control the machine. You will need the STEPCRAFT profile to setup the machine. All the StoneyCNC Customers in the UK/IRL who purchase a machine with the Mach3 option get this profile on their CD.

STEP 5. You can now open up Mach3 and control your STEPCRAFT machine.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Overw, Africano

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
01 Sep 2014 16:45 - 01 Sep 2014 16:45 #7770 von teknik
teknik antwortete auf STEPCRAFT and Mach3
Hi, I have Stepcraft 600 model and want to use with Mach3 software. Mach3 demo software downloaded from artsoft website and installed to the laptop. Laptop and device have USB port. Finally there is no communication between two. Need help please.
Letzte Änderung: 01 Sep 2014 16:45 von teknik.

Mehr
01 Sep 2014 17:23 #7775 von Wülfi185
Wülfi185 antwortete auf STEPCRAFT and Mach3
Mach 3 via USB with UC 100 Motion or UC 300 USB Motion controller firma CNC Drive
Link cncdrive.com/products.html

Wolfgang

SC 300,
ESTLcam 8.
Designer CAD,
Proxxon IBS/E
Mach3 mit UC 300 (5x LPT)
UCNC mit UC300
Eigenbau Handrad
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: teknik

Mehr
01 Sep 2014 20:04 #7786 von Mr. B
Mr. B antwortete auf STEPCRAFT and Mach3

Hello teknik,

I don't know if this will help you or not but you could give it a try.

After building my 420, I followed the "Getting Started" manual and installed WinPC-NC Starter software as the machine comes pre-installed with the USB module.

The PC and machine failed to connect so I had a look in the WinPC-NC Starter installed folder and found CDM setup file and ran that, this installed the drivers and it worked for me.

Then we took out the USB card that comes with the 420 machine and put the UC100 in and everything worked mach3.
My version of Mach3 came from StoneyCNC with a STEPCRAFT420 profile.

Best regards
Blan and Good luck

Stepcraft 420 (version 1) - HXKJ-GS52-400W Air cooled DC spindle - 445nm Blue Laser diode G2

Dieser Beitrag enthält einen Anhang.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um ihn zu sehen.

Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Rory, teknik

Mehr
02 Sep 2014 10:35 - 02 Sep 2014 10:37 #7795 von Rory
Rory antwortete auf STEPCRAFT and Mach3
You need the STEPCRAFT machine configured with an LPT card - not with the WinPC cards.. The WinPC modules will not allow you to talk to Mach3. Once you have an LPT card in the machine you can connect the machine to a Desktop PC that also has a LPT output. However - we do not recommend this as there are well known issues with LPT connection with Mach3.

For best results you need to have a USB motion controller. The UC100 from CNC Drive allows you to control a CNC with your USB port. The UC100 will plug directly into the STEPCRAFT when a LPT card is loaded in the machine. The UC100 is a lot more than just a parallel to USB converter. the UC100 is a full 6 axis motion controller. All the communication between Mach3 and the controller happens over USB communication and then the UC100 itself generates the motor signals for machine control. therefore the machine can be controlled on a laptop as as-well as a desktop.

CNC Drive UC100
More info here

Once you have setup your Mach3 software and your UC100 drivers etc (As per the above videos) you will need the STEPCRAFT profile settings to import into Mach3.
Letzte Änderung: 02 Sep 2014 10:37 von Rory.

Mehr
02 Sep 2014 10:38 #7796 von Rory

blanthegenius schrieb:

Hello teknik,

I don't know if this will help you or not but you could give it a try.

After building my 420, I followed the "Getting Started" manual and installed WinPC-NC Starter software as the machine comes pre-installed with the USB module.

The PC and machine failed to connect so I had a look in the WinPC-NC Starter installed folder and found CDM setup file and ran that, this installed the drivers and it worked for me.

Then we took out the USB card that comes with the 420 machine and put the UC100 in and everything worked mach3.
My version of Mach3 came from StoneyCNC with a STEPCRAFT420 profile.

Best regards
Blan and Good luck

Great stuff Ian, this is a real help for the guys who might have an issue with the driver install for the winPC installer.

Mehr
03 Sep 2014 02:25 #7843 von WonStep
WonStep antwortete auf STEPCRAFT and Mach3
I have a rather strange situation happening - I have recently built the 420 unit with the parallel card and the UC-100 motion controller (first built and tested with the USB card and was able to use via WINPC much like the previous user) Then swapped out the USB for the parallel card and the UC100 device and after some significant changes to the setup on Mach3 I now have it working again - but with an exception that I cannot find a solution for - I can only run programs written in metric - the software "switch" for either metric or inches IS set to inches (have tried re-triggering this multiple times and it appears to operate as it should with a lighted indicator showing "inches" - but when a program is loaded (written in inches) it operates in metric. I have purposely added a "G20" line in the code in the beginning and it's also in the automatic string of characters that Mach3 looks at when it starts.

I believe this is probably a Mach3 setting issue but so far have been unable to find any solutions thru any of their resources as well. If you have any ideas of what might cause this I would be very interested to hear from you. Until then, I'm programming in English, converting to metric and watching the same things happen on an otherwise very capable system. Thanks.

Mehr
03 Sep 2014 13:52 #7860 von Rory
Well done for configuring the machine with Mach3. It is not easy. We (StoneyCNC) give the full profile out with the machines we offer - so its simply a case of copying in the file. The profile has all settings and calibration values for metric operation.

Have you calibrated the machine? You need to calibrate the machine to sell it how many "steps per unit" it needs to see for inchs.

The UC100 operated using a Plugin made by CNC Drive who have coded the plugin to let the UC100 talk to Mach. I will ask CNC Drive if this could be a problem on their side.

Mehr
03 Sep 2014 14:50 #7863 von Rory
To cofirm - this is a calibration issue. You need to calibrate the machine so it sees 10units (inches) as inches. You need to use the calibration function.

Mehr
05 Sep 2014 04:41 #7912 von WonStep
My hats off to Rory for going out of his way to help me out with this issue of getting Mach3 setup in inches instead of metric. Oddly enough I've worked in both metric and inches for a long time but prefer inches so what now seems pretty straightforward wasn't so much when I could not either remember or find the exact method and steps to get the machine to that status. Rory went out of his way to be clear and concise in his help and as a result I was able to run a test file today that took just over two hours and it went thru without an issue. Like most machines, there's the need to see it wiggle, move and actually do some "work" and when you're just starting to see that happen, your mind is on dozens of other small details but with some patience, time and persistence even the smaller details will get solved and the machine will run even better than it is today.

Some of the initial issues were in tightening the rollers too much when building the unit (This is a 420 system) - my concern was that it would be hard to get at some of those places when it was finally assembled and that a loose screw while moving would be a bad situation - but in the course of tightening things too much, I also created another problem with overtasking the stepper motor by also making the ballscrews too tight (you should be able to rotate all of them by hand) and then was trying to overcome that condition with software options in Mach3. From several exchanges with Rory, I was able to understand better what was needed and will do some "re-tuning" on the hardware first in order to get a smoother running system and he was right, it was all about the calibration!!!

The entire build up of the unit went very well with absolutely minimal issues. One thing that should impress almost anyone is that all of the parts (steel and brass) were uncommonly clean and finished. When you look at the multiple processes in machining that went on to make these parts, it's always easy to drop them in the box and ship it, but these parts were burr-free, exceptionally clean from a machining standpoint and dimensionally tested, proven and delivered. Sounds easy but it's never that way when you're making 1,000's of parts. The surface finishes are important from a standpoint of consistency - everything fit and functioned like it was intended to and for an assembly that is to be done from photo renderings, it's a really, really nice product. That's the sign of paying attention to detail and Stepcraft certainly has done so.

My thanks again to Stepcraft and to Rory for helping out with the Mach3 software details... no matter what you intend to make with this system, it's all about the details! Get them right and you're going to be a highly satisfied customer I'm sure.

Thanks.

- Wonstep (closer to the target than I was yesterday!)

Mehr
05 Sep 2014 12:12 #7917 von Rory
Well done. Its a steep learning curve is places but its rewarding when it all comes together. Everyone needs to be careful when purchasing a CNC system. The support can be as important as the machine.

Now lets see some of your creations!

Mehr
05 Okt 2014 20:20 #8884 von Pumf
Pumf antwortete auf STEPCRAFT and Mach3
Hi everybody. I have a STEPCRAFT 420 with Mach3 through the parallel port. I'm trying to play a bit with the config.
I saw on 1 topic some really high acceleration. I tried them, but then, I saw a problem of accuracy.
Is there any method to set up properly Mach3? I don't know how to set up the backflash for exemple. or other shuttle timing parameters.
Is there someone who could provide me a working xml?

Mehr
24 Okt 2014 19:05 #9584 von Papje
Papje antwortete auf STEPCRAFT and Mach3
Hello, i'm new here and want to buy the S600. I have a stepcraft dealer next to my door (10km). I want to use Mach 3, but it seems that the stepcraft.xml for the settings only available is by stoneycnc in the UK. It's a little bit silly to buy a stepcraft in the UK to get the settings file when you live in the Netherlands and there is a dealer next door.
Is there another way to get this file, I hope somebody from stoneycnc is reading this message!

Autodesk Inventor 3D / Altium PCB Designer / 3D printing / Winpc-NC / UCCNC / Mach3 / Proxcon IBS/E > Stepcraft 2/600 - Google translate Dutch > German is my best friend

Mehr
24 Okt 2014 19:29 #9586 von Rory
Think you guys both emailed us.. let us know you get on okay.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Papje

Mehr
24 Okt 2014 20:33 #9589 von WonStep
Yes, the process of getting Mach3 setup and functioning properly is a challenge and while there was just a minimum of activity on this forum at the time (in English) I searched hi/low/far and wide to find any and all available information about the various setup parameters and options. Some relate directly to the use of CNC machines in general, some are intended for other types of equipment and that part is probably the first step in getting the system to work. From what I've read, it seems that sometimes the users are intent on getting every single aspect of the parameters setup perfectly and then trying things out. I don't believe that's as effective as getting the primary steps (motor controls,etc) working and then gradually finding those other details that you can tweak in other ways to improve on what is already working. This also gives you a chance to see the effects of what you're changing (only if you stick with changing just one detail and then trying it) - if you choose to change multiples at one time, you'll never be able to figure out what the setting actually do. Don't be frustrated if/when the changes aren't giving you precise and absolutely accurate results as that will come with improving on the settings as you learn more. What I believe many people forget is that this entire process IS all about learning - if you think it's a push-button deal where you just clamp in your work and hit a few "magic" buttons - think again, because it's not! You will gain more by searching, learning, trying, failing to some degree but persisting to try again because eventually more and more will make sense and you will be understanding what you've accomplished. No one is holding back information as much as they are sometimes reluctant to give out their selection of details as their machine may be setup differently. The resources within Stepcraft for Mach3 are limited today but I would imagine they might improve with time and more involvement with the software. Rory is an outstanding resource and the details within many of his answers and comments go a long way to help you learn what works, what doesn't and why. He also has his own business and customer base and rightfully so reserves his time and help to those who have purchased their systems thru his company. Almost all of the initial "English" details that make up this forum were either started or "added to" by him and we should all send some of our business and support his way for his help.

Don't be discouraged, be persistent and search and you will find (sounds like a movie doesn't it) the answers about the setup and use of Mach3 and in the process you will become that much smarter about what your system is doing when you press those magic buttons... woe is he who presses and doesn't know! Hang in there and search - there's a huge amount of information about Mach3 and it's uses. Thanks.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Worldhusky, Rory, Papje, tugwilson

Mehr
25 Okt 2014 17:59 #9629 von Rory
Thank you WonSTEP for your detailed response. It is indeed about learning. I started in CNC with a machine that was off the shelf and worked from the supplier. I then used, improved, tweaked, developed added and explored the system that was on MAch3 at the time.

Its exactly like WonStep says- incremental changes - keep it simple first.

With Mach3 all you need to do is get the motors working - X Y and Y. Thats it it can work. You don't need limit switches, you don't need softlimits, you don't need spindle control with software. In my opinion when you start out all these things add to confusion. Keep is as simple as possible and work with it.

When you explore settings etc - make sure you KEEP the original file that WORKS... otherwise you will get V frustrated. And yes -incremental changes...

IF anyone has any specific questions about details involving getting Mach3 working - post - we will help. But do try yourself first. You get so much more from learning.

Mehr
25 Okt 2014 22:49 #9659 von tikka
tikka antwortete auf STEPCRAFT and Mach3
I had a strange problem when I tried to install Mach3 on my CNC computer. Got an old used PC with a clean 32 bit xp installation for running the Mach3. It isn`t connected to the internet and doesn`t have any antivirus/firewall turned on. An USB memory stick seemed like a good way to transfer the Mach3 installation file, but had two errors when I tried to copy or run the file from the stick. The errors were something like this: "Can not copy file because it is corrupted or unreadable" and "... is not a valid Win32 file". The solution was simple, I used another USB memory stick I have that is nade by a different manufacturer. No more problems.

Just in case someone else has a similar trouble.

Stepcraft 600SF (version 1) parallel port
Proxxon IBS/E
Mach3
devCad Cam Pro; devWing Cam; devFus Cam; Profili Pro 2

Mehr
26 Okt 2014 16:06 #9698 von Mr. B
Mr. B antwortete auf STEPCRAFT and Mach3

tikka schrieb: I had a strange problem when I tried to install Mach3 on my CNC computer. Got an old used PC with a clean 32 bit xp installation for running the Mach3. It isn`t connected to the internet and doesn`t have any antivirus/firewall turned on. An USB memory stick seemed like a good way to transfer the Mach3 installation file, but had two errors when I tried to copy or run the file from the stick. The errors were something like this: "Can not copy file because it is corrupted or unreadable" and "... is not a valid Win32 file". The solution was simple, I used another USB memory stick I have that is nade by a different manufacturer. No more problems.

Just in case someone else has a similar trouble.

It's always better to copy any application files from a USB stick to a folder on the desktop and install from there, causes less errors if any at all.

Stepcraft 420 (version 1) - HXKJ-GS52-400W Air cooled DC spindle - 445nm Blue Laser diode G2
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: tikka

Mehr
01 Nov 2014 18:00 #9949 von elbarto
elbarto antwortete auf STEPCRAFT and Mach3
Hi I'm new here and have a few questions I recently bought a stepcraft 600 with usb.
My question is how can I make it work with mach3
On the stepcraft 600 is only a usb port and also on the pc
I have downloaded the mach3 software with license and the uc100 software who can help me with that

Mehr
01 Nov 2014 20:00 #9957 von Rory
see here

You need the LPT card and then a UC100 to talk to Mach3 / UCCNC. you also need the installation files.

can send us an email if you want (StoneyCNC)