exclamation-circle Question Check your HF spindles...

• Owen S
  • Owen S's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
26 Feb 2017 17:43 #44933 by Owen S
Check your HF spindles... was created by Owen S
Hi folks, just a short note to recommend that anyone running an HF spindle checks it for tightness frequently. We've had the end cap begin to unwind before and on Friday I happened to be next to the machine as the main grey body started to unwind from the base as it was machining. Eeek.
Owen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SFDeeJay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2017 15:48 #44980 by Doug
Replied by Doug on topic Check your HF spindles...
Indeed yes. Mine unscrewed itself during operation then the control unit failed for a second time.

The Stepcraft HF spindle system is not currently fit for purpose in my opinion.

Get rid of it and either get a Kress or StoneyCNC's new small industrial HF spindle.

Doug

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC
Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery), dsgb.net
The following user(s) said Thank You: SFDeeJay

More
27 Feb 2017 19:05 #44990 by SFDeeJay
Replied by SFDeeJay on topic Check your HF spindles...
Thanks for the heads-up, guys. My Stepcraft HF500 is still relatively new, and so far, it's just about the only part of the entire system with which I've been pleased (the solid aluminum table is great, but that doesn't count). I usually seem to err on the side of over-tightening, but didn't think about checking from time to time.

More
12 Mar 2017 17:44 - 12 Mar 2017 18:06 #45411 by d.schneider630
Replied by d.schneider630 on topic Check your HF spindles...
Does anyone know if there is a vendor in the US that sells the small HF industrial spindle? If not is there an adapter for US current? Looking at the cost of this vs the HF500 in the US,it will cost me nearly the same including shipping.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2017 18:06 by d.schneider630.

More
13 Mar 2017 10:02 #45430 by peterg1000
Replied by peterg1000 on topic Check your HF spindles...
Hi,
I know he's not in the US, but Rory (StoneyCNC) has a suitable VFD industrial grade spindle soon to be available. Not sure of pricing in USA, but worth investigating.

Initial reports say it performs extremely well.

Peter.

SC 420/2, Industrial VFD spindle from StoneyCNC
UC100 + UCCNC
Cut2D, Autosketch10, Draftsight, Eagle 9.5.1

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.

More
14 Mar 2017 22:32 #45494 by julius
Replied by julius on topic Check your HF spindles...

Owen S wrote: Hi folks, just a short note to recommend that anyone running an HF spindle checks it for tightness frequently. We've had the end cap begin to unwind

Can you post a photo about what screws I should check?

SC300 + Spindle HF500 + Portalerhöhung + LinuxCNC + gsimple

More
15 Mar 2017 15:13 #45509 by Doug
There are no screws. The Stepcraft HF spindle bodies comprise two sections which screw together.

The problem being highlighted here is the propensity of the two sections to unscrew from each other if subject to a torque in use, e.g. if the bit stalls in the stock.

Doug

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC
The following user(s) said Thank You: julius

More
16 Mar 2017 00:54 #45539 by julius
Replied by julius on topic Check your HF spindles...
Ah! Thanks Doug.
When/if that happens what I can do???

Mine is almost 2 years old and zero problems. I cross my fingers!

SC300 + Spindle HF500 + Portalerhöhung + LinuxCNC + gsimple

More
16 Mar 2017 17:48 - 16 Mar 2017 17:49 #45575 by Doug
2 years with no problems? Lucky you. I guess that you are using it for light duty cuts?

I don't know what to do if that happens. Apply some threadlock glue and screw it tightly back together again?

Mine was less than 6 months old so I sent it back to Rory and requested a replacement Kress 1050E spindle.

I got lucky and he sent me the small industrial HF spindle to evaluate instead. There is no comparison with this and the Stepcraft item for maybe 20% extra outlay, it's 400% better.

Doug

Last edit: 16 Mar 2017 17:49 by Doug.