file Frage Long Vacuum Extraction Dust Skirt/Brush

Mehr
06 Mai 2017 22:19 - 06 Mai 2017 22:20 #46936 von Doug
Here's what progress I've managed to make on this DIY/custom dust skirt:

Speeded up video (parameters on the YouTube listing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0iGVesYtxw

I don't know whether it will work well until I've assembled then tested it. I ordered some M4 brass press-in threaded inserts for plastic to try instead of the M3 ones.

Doug

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC
Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery), dsgb.net

Dieser Beitrag enthält einen Bildanhang.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um ihn zu sehen.

Letzte Änderung: 06 Mai 2017 22:20 von Doug.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: DocBrown, Per Bekker-Madsen

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
17 Mai 2017 18:03 - 17 Mai 2017 18:46 #47309 von Doug
O.k., my DIY dust skirt is essentially finished. I need to think about adding a locating pin that engages into the gap in the orange plate where the securing bolt for the spindle is and my idea of using a wing nut to allow easy removal didn't work because the wings foul on the aluminium brush carrier.

I will test it eventually and post up a YouTube video.

If anybody wants any further info, let me know. I have attached the STL file and my G Code toolpath for the base plate.

The aluminium brush carrier sections are secured into M4 brass press-in threaded inserts using M4 x 8 mm stainless steel dome head allen key machine screws. I have already posted where I obtained the brush filament and aluminium carrier - this will be very easy to obtain in many countries. The base plate is 12 mm thick acrylic and the exhaust flue a 38 mm o.d., 3 mm i.d. acrylic tube. This is just sanded and interference fitted into the rebate. It is an extremely tight mechanical fit proving that plastic cement is unnecessary.

Obviously if you go for the 75 mm long brush filaments, you can trim them to your desired shorter length.

The total mass of the assembly as shown (less the M6 mounting bolt and washers) is 238 grams on reasonably accurate digital kitchen scales.

Doug

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC

Dieser Beitrag enthält Bilddateien.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um sie zu sehen.

Dieser Beitrag enthält einen Anhang.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um ihn zu sehen.

Letzte Änderung: 17 Mai 2017 18:46 von Doug.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: peterg1000, DocBrown, Bodo, hassage

Mehr
19 Mai 2017 20:35 - 19 Mai 2017 20:38 #47408 von Doug
Here is a short video of my DIY dust skirt in action which thicknessing an ebony fretboard to 7 mm in 1 mm passes with a 6 mm 2 flute solid carbide slot drill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTAu_hyw22Q

The vonHaus ash vacuum is very noisy so nothing much else can be heard.

Commissioning it threw up two issues:

1. It's slightly too wide to allow the X axis to home so I had to home the machine first then attach the dust skirt later.

2. It built up static electricity which caused a discharge (not visible or audible on this video) which caused the toolpath to stop on one occasion and lose Y steps only on the other.

I seem to recall from high school physics lessons that rubbing Perspex/acrylic or ebony rod caused a build up of static electricity so maybe ebony is the problem here?

I detached it and continued with the toolpaths for the fretboard which turned out rather well. Less than an hour's work to get it cut and the mother of pearl marker dots in. It was 'rough' cut to 6.6-6.7 mm thick at the crown ready for final radius sanding with a StewMac aluminium radiusing beam to 1/4" (6.35 mm).

Doug

Dieser Beitrag enthält Bilddateien.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um sie zu sehen.

Letzte Änderung: 19 Mai 2017 20:38 von Doug.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: DocBrown

Mehr
20 Mai 2017 04:17 #47414 von Doug
Apparently static build up from vacuum systems is well known (just not to me): :blush:

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-15249.html

I will need to attach an earthing lead via one of the M4 mounting bolts to the machine bed, or better, to the earthing wire from the machine itself.

This is clearly a very important consideration guys. I presume that this doesn't afflict the Stepcraft vacuum extraction system because the dust shoe is made of metal? Therefore, nobody else will have likely experienced this problem?

Doug

Mehr
23 Mai 2017 04:10 #47497 von Doug
I now believe that the reason this has just become a problem is because my previous setup included the section of anti static 24 mm i.d. hose supplied with the Stepcraft exhaust adapter inserted into the end of the vonHaus ash vacuum. The hose on the ash vacuum is exposed METAL inside with a plastic outer. The body of the ash vacuum is stainless steel. In the new set up, the metal hose was attached directly to the machine via the DIY dust skirt. So I think that the smaller diameter hose was acting to insulate the machine from any static build up in the larger diameter hose.

The many thousands of wood particles blasting over the metal hose obviously leads to a rapid build up of static electricity.

This being the case, I believe that the solution should be simple: buy a length of anti static 38 mm i.d. ribbed vacuum hose, remove the two end cuffs from the hose on my vonHaus ash vacuum, attach them to new hose and crack on.

Doug