file Frage UC400 Ethernet Controller

Mehr
21 Jul 2016 16:19 #36027 von finch
UC400 Ethernet Controller wurde erstellt von finch
Hi guys,

We have had numerous sporadic problems with our stepcraft 2 840. problems using the UC100 and a 10 meter USB cable, that resulted in small electric shocks from the machine, and also sometimes manual commanded movements would result in jerky, or no movement at all from the tools.

So we purchased the UC400 ethernet connector, which uses electro isolators, meaning hopefully there should be no more shocks, and no more movement interuptions.

With the UC400, we need to provide a +12 to 24 Volt DC power supply, and I was wondering if any part of the breakout board in the stepcraft has a voltage and 500mW rating, that we could branch off, rather than get another power supply going?

I cannot find any details about the breakout board that comes with the stepcraft anywhere

Nick

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
21 Jul 2016 18:25 - 21 Jul 2016 18:26 #36034 von jvalencia
jvalencia antwortete auf UC400 Ethernet Controller
It would have been easier to buy a cheap Powered USB HUB and use it as a simple repeater, connecting both the UC100 and your PC to it.

Stepcraft 2 840
Kress 800 FME
UCCNC + UC100
V-Carve + QCad
Letzte Änderung: 21 Jul 2016 18:26 von jvalencia.

Mehr
21 Jul 2016 20:10 - 21 Jul 2016 20:11 #36037 von DocBrown
DocBrown antwortete auf UC400 Ethernet Controller
I'm not sure if I understand it correctly but if you need 24V the X2 connector provides you with 24V on PIN 9 and PIN 10 is ground. To be frank, it's 30V but adding an simple 7824 Voltage regulator and some capacitors as shown in the datasheet gives you 24V:

X2

Datasheet-Figure-4

Referring to your USB cable problem...did you ground all metal parts of the machine? There's often a problem with static electricity due to rotating parts (spindle)...

Viele Grüße

Hartmut
V2/420 China 800W wassergekühlt
UCCNC & ARDUINO ESTLCAM Controller
ESTLCAM & QCAD
DK5LH/G11
Letzte Änderung: 21 Jul 2016 20:11 von DocBrown.

Mehr
25 Jul 2016 18:43 #36138 von Rory
Rory antwortete auf UC400 Ethernet Controller
10 metre USB cable is too long. Any extension is not a good idea. The Ethernet connection using the ETH module is done using differential signals and is therefore isolated on the communication side. Therefore the communication signal can happen over a lot longer distance with more reliability.

the ETH module cannot (and should not) be powered by the STEPCRAFT card. you need to get another supply

Mehr
28 Jul 2016 23:45 #36191 von per.takman
per.takman antwortete auf UC400 Ethernet Controller
Hi,

I'm also interested in using the UC400ETH for a Stepcraft system I just ordered, due to the fact that it is opto-isolated. I don't want to risk frying my laptop, should the drive stages malfunction. I've asked for information about whether the parallel interface is opto-isolated, but so far no answer. Given your experience with small electric shocks from the machine it sounds like it is not isolated.

I'm guessing that supplying power from the Stepcraft main power supply eliminate the intended opto-isolation, so you better go with a separate supply. However, it would be nice if it was possible to mount the UC400ETH inside the Stepcraft and just add another chassi-mounted 24/12 VDC supply. Unfortunately, the UC400ETH comes with a bracket which according to the manual it is needed to provide cooling, so even if the PCB itself is similarly sized to the parallel interface board, it may be hard to swap it out for the UC400ETH.

Integrating it into the Stepcraft system and offering it as an option seems like a great idea to me. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the Stepcraft crew also see the benefit of opto-isolation and Ethernet interface.

In the meantime, I will build a separate housing for the board and the cabling that is needed.

Let us know more about your experience with using the UC400ETH with the software! Any problems so far?

Warmly,

Per Takman

Mehr
29 Jul 2016 11:03 #36199 von Rory
the UCETH is isolated on the Ethernet side. Not on the output side. So the isolation on the machine side is related to what optoisolators the drives and electronics have.

We've used the ETH module in our workshop for a number of weeks now and it has been perfect.

Mehr
29 Jul 2016 15:24 #36204 von per.takman
Thank you for the reply!

Great to hear that you've had good experience with the UC400ETH. The opto-isolation I'm looking for is to protect my computer so that architecture suits me perfectly.

Cheers,

Per Takman

Mehr
29 Jul 2016 15:50 #36205 von Rory
Cool - the main reason for the isolation is to protect the chip from noise.

The ETH side of the ETH module will protect your PC from any mishaps. If for example the UCETH gets an overvoltage or ir wired in the wrong way - the over voltage cannot get back up the Ethernet cable.

However - the ETH chip if connected to a card with a lot of noise - and no isolation - means the motion controller chip can have issues.

In short - overall performance depends on what the UCETH is connected to on the machine side.

Mehr
11 Sep 2016 13:40 #37371 von per.takman
Question regarding the I/O ports when using the UC400ETH

When I start the default profile of UCCNC I can change the port setting from 0 to 2, but when I start the Stepcraft profile I'm no longer allowed to choose 2. I've tried to compare the two profiles, but can't find a setting that prevent me from making use of both ports.

Can you help me "unlock" the second port?

Warmly, Per

Mehr
11 Sep 2016 21:53 #37382 von Rory
Connect to port 1 of the ETH module?

you have to select the box, type in the value and hit enter key.

Then apply + save

not sure why you can't select 2

Mehr
11 Sep 2016 22:00 - 11 Sep 2016 22:01 #37384 von per.takman
Hi Rory,

I'm connected to port 1 of the UC400ETH. Everything works fine and I can even see the diagnostics tab react to input on port 2. I just can select 2 with the Stepcraft profile loaded. With the default profile it works...

If I try to change to 2 it reverts back to whatever was in the box before. If I edit the profile text file the same thing happens. There must be something in the profile that limit me to use only port 1.

/Per
Letzte Änderung: 11 Sep 2016 22:01 von per.takman.

Mehr
12 Sep 2016 22:22 #37401 von Rory
hmm.. interesting. not sure will see can i find out.

Mehr
13 Sep 2016 00:57 #37403 von per.takman
I now have a lead to what may be causing this. It turns out that if I change the screenset from the “Stepcraftscreenset” to the “Defaultscreenset” I have access to the second port when configuring output triggers.

I’ve tried to compare the two sections for the UC400ETH, but fail to understand which setting in the screenset files that unlock access to the second IO-port.

I've sent the question to cncdrive.com and I will let you know if they can provide an answer.

In the meantime, if you find an answer how to modify the screenset file... let me know!

/Per

Mehr
13 Sep 2016 23:50 #37418 von per.takman
Update: Changing to port 2 works since of software version 1.2022.

Question: Is there any disadvantage of choosing the screenset file from UCCNC instead of the customized one for Stepcraft. With the Stepcraft screenset the new features of UCCNC are not shown. It is very simple to edit the Stepcraft profile to use the default screenset, but I don't want to cause any problems.

Cheers, Per Takman

Mehr
16 Sep 2016 16:29 #37476 von per.takman
Second update:

According to cncdrive.com, there is no disadvantage of using the default screen set file to get access to new functionality.

Meanwhile, I discovered that output pins 1, 14 and 16 on port 2 on the UC400ETH can't be configured as output triggers. There is a bug in the firmware of the UC400ETH that cncdrive.com are now aware of. It will be fixed in the next version that ship with UCCNC.

Cheers, Per

• ThomasDbg
  • ThomasDbgs Avatar
  • SC2/600 mit HF Spindel 500W
Mehr
19 Sep 2016 09:02 #37529 von ThomasDbg
ThomasDbg antwortete auf UC400 Ethernet Controller
Per, just stay tuned.

A new screenset including the new functions will be available very soon.

Produktevangelist :-)

Es grüßt mit der Ihm gegebenen Freundlichkeit...

...der Thomas
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: per.takman

Mehr
21 Nov 2017 17:30 - 21 Nov 2017 17:33 #51315 von Frunsianer
Frunsianer antwortete auf UC400 Ethernet Controller
Hallo Dudes,
I use the UC400ETh Controller with the new all in one installer and the UCCNC Version 1.2037.
The Screenset "Stepcraft2-300" works fine!
But the Screenset for the 3D Probe funktions "SC2-300_ATC_3DProbe" looks ugly and so dosnt work for me!
The Buttons ar not on the right Place at Screenset!

Any suggestion how to fix it!
I realy dont want to go back to the USB Controler only for using the 3D Probe!

Dieser Beitrag enthält einen Bildanhang.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um ihn zu sehen.

Letzte Änderung: 21 Nov 2017 17:33 von Frunsianer.