Hopefully I'm in the right categorie for questions... if not please let me know.
So, I want to buy a Stepcraftsystem. A D600 or D420. But I'm actually not 100% shure what I have to buy in addition. I have a buged about 1.7K (including shipping cost -> switzerland; around 100-200) euros, but If possible i dont want to use it all. So as far as I know I need the base, a milling machine. Like a Kress 800 or 1000. Maby a T Table? Some tools? Software?(is the free version enough or should I buy UCNC?).
What are the final costs?
13 Jun 2018 19:07 - 13 Jun 2018 19:09#53973 von CNCMiller
The first question you have yo ask yourself is what will I do with this machine?
Do I use it for hobby?;
Large builds or medium to small?;
And second it's all about the money.
Some considerations to made.
- is the work-space sufficient A3 size for the 420 or need I A2 size for the 600;
- do I need a powerful spindle or will I mill smaller layers with smaller bits (kress 1050 around € 200,00 vs Proxxon ISB/E for around € 75,00);
- a T-slot table makes your machine bed stiffer (is always good, but you can buy that later);
- software, the free version is insufficient, after two or three milling projects you will find that it is working against you, so always buy a full version;
- software WinPC-NC USB is as good as UCCNC just make a choice on the support you get. ( I use WinPC with full satisfaction).
- the final cost is what you want to spend, but a machine, a spindle, software and some mill bits (sorotec.de) with shaft diameter of 3,17 mm should give you a nice start.
- oh and do not forget to build your machine with patient and accurate, better spent some time to build than to correct later.