file Frage Spindle Startup Fail

Mehr
25 Nov 2015 02:12 #27444 von Remotruker
Spindle Startup Fail wurde erstellt von Remotruker
After resolving a profile issue with V1 settings on a V2 machine X,Y, and Z motors, I have had good repeatable results. I already have a second paying job on the mill!

But I did end up ruining a piece of wood because the spindle failed to start up completely.

Process-
Clicked start job as I had done on several other pieces.
The spindle got about 10 turns into its windup then stopped.

It is almost as if the spindle is calling for too many amps on startup and shuts down.

This has happened twice, the second time i was able to hit the e-stop before crashing into the piece.

Anybody have similar experiences?

Are there V2 settings I need to change for the spindle too?

Stepcraft 2 420
500 Watt Spindle
3D Printing System
3d Probe
T-Slot Table

Tooling:
1/8" 60 Deg 4 Flute V Bit
1/8" 4-Flute Square Nose End Mill
1/8" 2 Flute Ball Nose End Mill
1/16" 2 Flute Ball Nose End Mill

UCCNC and VCarve Pro

Total Newbie!

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
25 Nov 2015 10:23 #27452 von peterg1000
peterg1000 antwortete auf Spindle Startup Fail
Yes - had exatly that same problem on my HF350. See my post in "Accessories" on 14th Nov.

I've had no further reply back from Rory yet, so I assume Stepcraft have ignored his enquiry for the time being.

In the short term I have worked around the problem by inserting a 5 second delay after the M03 command - this gives plenty of time to reach the J.C. button if the startup fails. I don't think there is anything in the profile that can affect this behavior as far as I can tell.

Once the stop is removed and the system reset, I set the programme on the next instruction after the delay, start the spindle from the screen button and, if all is well, then restart the cycle.

SC 420/2, Industrial VFD spindle from StoneyCNC
UC100 + UCCNC
Cut2D, Autosketch10, Draftsight, Eagle 9.5.1

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.

Mehr
25 Nov 2015 21:47 #27482 von Kivinen
Kivinen antwortete auf Spindle Startup Fail
I have also had similar problem on my HF500. This has happened so often that my checklist now includes steps that start cycle, verify that the spindle starts while keeping mouse over reset button, and when I hear it to start then I let go of mouse.

Also when this happens once on the job, it will happen every single time until I reset the stepcraft itself. Restarting UCCNC or powercycling the HF500 spindle controller does not fix the issue. I can still start the HF by pressing the button on the spindle controller, so I usually just then manually start spindle and finish the part that way.

Hmm... looking at my logs this happened 3 times earlier for the same weekend, but haven't happened since, so it might be that the issue disapperared. Anyways I did raise the delay after the spindle start to 5 seconds just to give me more time.

Stepcraft 2 840 Kickstarter make anything package
HF500, 3D print, Drag Knife, etc
UCCNC + UC100, V-Carve

Mehr
25 Nov 2015 23:27 #27484 von peterg1000
If you have to cycle the power on the Stepcraft before things return to normal, then your problem seems to be subtly different to the one that Remotruker and I have experienced. Maybe your pwm frequency is different or the percentages for minimum and maximum speeds are different.

On my system anyway, the fault seems to appear quite at random - and does not seem to be affected by the eventual final speed demand. From this I suspect that the problem is with the initial acceleration phase of the startup.

I can promote the fault by continually starting and stopping the spindle via the on-screen button - it seems to fail once every 5 - 10 start attempts.

UC100 + UCCNC

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.

Mehr
26 Nov 2015 01:03 - 26 Nov 2015 01:05 #27487 von Remotruker
Remotruker antwortete auf Spindle Startup Fail
Thanks for the responses all... Just so to cover all the bases, here are my spindle settings

I see some settings under acceleration steps- I know with VFDs if you accelerate too quickly it can shut down a drive and you have to ramp up the speed up slower. Similar?

Seems Stepcraft has some work to do here. I know it is a hobby grade machine, but for $2+k, I'm disappointed in the quality control. Missing parts, mis-shipped parts, wrong config CD, Spindle issues...

I can't say I would highly recommend this to a friend.

My machine doesn't need to be power cycled, just re-start the file and it has always worked on the second attempt.

Stepcraft 2 420
500 Watt Spindle
3D Printing System
3d Probe
T-Slot Table

Tooling:
1/8" 60 Deg 4 Flute V Bit
1/8" 4-Flute Square Nose End Mill
1/8" 2 Flute Ball Nose End Mill
1/16" 2 Flute Ball Nose End Mill

UCCNC and VCarve Pro

Total Newbie!

Dieser Beitrag enthält einen Bildanhang.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um ihn zu sehen.

Letzte Änderung: 26 Nov 2015 01:05 von Remotruker.

Mehr
26 Nov 2015 09:57 #27498 von peterg1000
For what it's worth here is my HF350 configuration.

The settings were chosen to get the best correlation between UCCNC speed demand and measured no load speed.

On my spindle the minimum speed is approximately 6000rpm, which is the minimum speed setting in the config. The pwm frequency affected linearity, too high and there was very poor speed correlation, too low and the speed hunts about a nominal setting. Rock and a hard place scenario!!

UC100 + UCCNC

Dieser Beitrag enthält Bilddateien.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um sie zu sehen.

Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Rory, Remotruker