file Frage Maximum Part Height

Mehr
02 Dez 2016 04:25 #40014 von azinpa
Maximum Part Height wurde erstellt von azinpa
Looking at purchasing the stepcraft 840 elite with auto tool changer. I can only find the pass through height. I need max part thickness allowing say .250 clearance from the endmill with 1 inch flutes. Is the dimension somewhere and I am just missing it. Or does anyone know about what it is?
Thanks

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

• MagIO2
  • MagIO2s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Zu viele Ideen und zu wenig Zeit
Mehr
02 Dez 2016 17:54 #40038 von MagIO2
MagIO2 antwortete auf Maximum Part Height
Stepcraft simply can't tell, because it depends on the motor and the endmill length that you use.
For the Proxxon you'll have a different value than for an SC motor or a Kress spindle or a Dremel ...
My guestimate is, that a proxxon reduces max. height by 15-20mm and a 1mm endmill with normal length reduces by another 10mm.

That said, I'd like to mention, that you will not find a 1mm endmill that can go through 100mm of material.

It also depends on the machine-table ... the alu tables reduce height for some mm as well.

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas

Mehr
02 Dez 2016 20:18 #40045 von azinpa
azinpa antwortete auf Maximum Part Height
The 840 elite is very specific as to hardware that comes with it. The slotted table, HF-Spindle 500 Watt, Stepcraft Touch Probe 2, Tool Length Sensor And automatic tool changer along with some other hardware. So with this hardware configuration, I need the max part thickness.

Mehr
28 Dez 2016 23:06 #41397 von Hurcokid
Hurcokid antwortete auf Maximum Part Height
Hi,
What is the length of your drill, or end mill that you will be using?
Long series, short series, standard?
All of those will affect the max part height.

I have some 3mm long series end mills 65mm long, and some shorter at 34mm long.
Different spindles allow varying lengths of insertion into the spindle, and various spindles mount at differing heights on to the Z axis.

My 420 with my current spindle setup and a short end mill will allow me approximately 70mm, and my cutter protrudes enough to mill 8mm deep, and a couple of mm clearance on top of that.

Mehr
29 Dez 2016 19:09 - 29 Dez 2016 19:11 #41476 von Doug
Doug antwortete auf Maximum Part Height

MagIO2 schrieb: Stepcraft simply can't tell, because it depends on the motor and the endmill length that you use.

They can't tell, but they could certainly provide estimates based on popular hardware configurations, e.g. with their own HF series spindle, a Kress spindle and a Proxxon spindle easy enough... but they choose not to.

If this information was available to a prospective customer who is considering spending £2,000 to £3,000 on an outfit it would be very helpful. The user/customer can easily then subtract a particular cutter stickout (e.g. 25 mm) and spoil board thickness (e.g. 6 mm or 12 mm) to find out what would be left from the original nominal 140 mm Z axis travel.

Maximum part height was an issue for me prior to purchase because it was my original intention to use the 4th axis to index a 800 mm x 80 mm x 40 mm guitar neck blank for two or four sided cutting. I needed to know how thick a spacer to add to the 4th axis rotary table and tailstock to allow sufficient rotation clearance and take into account the available milling depth once the spindle was fitted, etc..

Yet another area where Stepcraft chooses to let the user just guess what's right. :angry: I believe that I guessed adequately.

Doug

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC
Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery), dsgb.net
Letzte Änderung: 29 Dez 2016 19:11 von Doug.

• ThomasDbg
  • ThomasDbgs Avatar
  • SC2/600 mit HF Spindel 500W
Mehr
02 Jan 2017 12:19 #41731 von ThomasDbg
ThomasDbg antwortete auf Maximum Part Height
Doug, we beg your pardon but we try to help as good as we can! We are not able to serve every possible question. As there are specific questions we and also Erick or Rory or our other resellers try to help each potential customer individually! Thus, in many cases it is simply not possible to give general advices.

I´m sure, you know and understand this...

Produktevangelist :-)

Es grüßt mit der Ihm gegebenen Freundlichkeit...

...der Thomas

Mehr
29 Jan 2018 04:46 #52361 von Doug
Doug antwortete auf Maximum Part Height
To be clear, the original poster mentioned a 1" (i.e. 25.4 mm) end mill, not a 1 mm as you are stating MagIO2 but yes, he will not find a one inch end mill that can go through 100 mm of material either!

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC
Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery), dsgb.net