question-circle Frage Software for 4th axis?

Mehr
28 Apr 2017 11:50 #46720 von Owen S
Software for 4th axis? wurde erstellt von Owen S
Hi folks. What software are you guys using to generate your 4th axis tool paths? (We have UCCNC so executing the path is covered, I'm concerned with generation the path.)

All I can find is uber-expensive industry software, or more toy-like "single rough then single finishing" hobby offerings.

What am I missing? There must be something affordable that can generate individual 4th axis paths.

Cheers,

Owen S.

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
28 Apr 2017 14:57 #46735 von rebmotion
rebmotion antwortete auf Software for 4th axis?
I have used CNCwrapper. It converts the X or Y axis into A axis commands. So you generate a normal XYZ axis gcode program and run it through CNCwrapper. You end up with a XAZ or AYZ program.

www.cncwrapper.com

Mehr
28 Apr 2017 15:48 #46738 von MrMaJo
MrMaJo antwortete auf Software for 4th axis?
Maybe Fusion 360?

Gelernt auf Stepcraft 420
Jetzt mit der Sorotec AL-1107 unterwegs.

Mehr
28 Apr 2017 19:57 - 28 Apr 2017 19:59 #46747 von Doug
Doug antwortete auf Software for 4th axis?

Owen S schrieb: Hi folks. What software are you guys using to generate your 4th axis tool paths? (We have UCCNC so executing the path is covered, I'm concerned with generation the path.)

All I can find is uber-expensive industry software, or more toy-like "single rough then single finishing" hobby offerings.

What am I missing? There must be something affordable that can generate individual 4th axis paths.

Cheers,

Owen S.

Hi Owen.

I don't think you're missing anything. In time-honoured "ask a question on an internet forum and get anything except the answer you want" tradition, I'm going to tell you what I'm not using. I'm not using MeshCAM (for 4th axis work at least).

I looked into this early on in my CNC journey because I thought that the best way to mill a guitar neck was to mount it in a 4th axis rotary table and either index it through 90/180/270/360 degrees and mill each quadrant as a separate file or rotate to achieve the curved sections. I eventually bought the Stepcraft system and MeshCAM 6 which had a 4th axis option but indexing only. I then set about generating test fourth axis toolpaths only to find that the cut durations were horrifically long so I gave up. It didn't seem to automatically not cut a region it had already cut on a previous index. I didn't like the idea of trying to second guess it by getting clever with setting specific keepout regions and maximum depths for each index because this is what I thought it should be doing itself. Sadly, it didn't seem smart enough.

I have since become more experience with CNC parameters specifically and MeshCAM generally (now on Beta 7 version from which the developer has deleted the 4th axis option completely) but I have found that I can generate a guitar neck quite satisfactorily using a two-sided cut.

Sorry I can't be more helpful on this occasion but at least you can eliminate MeshCAM (which is otherwise great for generating 2.5D and complex 3D toolpaths) from your enquiries.

Doug

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC
Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery), dsgb.net
Letzte Änderung: 28 Apr 2017 19:59 von Doug.

Mehr
28 Apr 2017 21:04 #46750 von mr_cg
mr_cg antwortete auf Software for 4th axis?
Most of the people are using Deskproto to generate toolpath for 4th axis.
There is also one non comerical version available for much lower price.
I think Deskproto is THE software for the 4th axis and there are not much (i do not know any) alternatives.

CNC: Stepcraft 2/840, Kress 800-Q FME, Estlcam, Deskproto 7 Multi-Axis, Umgestiegen von WinPC NC USB v3 auf UCCNC 1.2049
3D Printer: Prusa MK3S mit MMU2S, Creality CR-10, Anycubic Photon
Twitter: All About 3D Blog
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: IgorZep, Doug

Mehr
29 Apr 2017 17:05 #46770 von Doug
Doug antwortete auf Software for 4th axis?

mr_cg schrieb: Most of the people are using Deskproto to generate toolpath for 4th axis.
There is also one non comerical version available for much lower price.
I think Deskproto is THE software for the 4th axis and there are not much (i do not know any) alternatives.

That's interesting, thanks.

I came across Deskproto via a Google search, not by recommendation. I was impressed what I read on their website and it almost made me wish that I had discovered it before MeshCAM. I might give it a try but I've persevered with MeshCAM and I can work with it and around it now. Besides, I don't want to outlay £200+ on something I don't need, only a "nice to have". Back-up CAM software is not a priority for me. A table saw and substantial planer-thicknesser is! ;)

Doug

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC
Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery), dsgb.net

Mehr
29 Apr 2017 17:25 #46774 von MMorao
MMorao antwortete auf Software for 4th axis?
I use Deskproto too. Very intuitive and does a hell of a lot more than it appears at first glance! You can chain numbers of operations with different strategies, cutters, tolerances, parameters etc for different purposes.

Oh, and the support is really helpful, one asks a question on the forum and The Firm replies on the same day, even for the non-pro package.

Clockwork Orange is a S600 with 4th axis, Kress 1050. Software is UCCNC, DeskProto, Rhino, DraftSight. Also a Silhouette Cameo for vinyl, plastic card, etc.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: IgorZep