exclamation-circle Question No more double sided tape for fixturing???

More
30 Sep 2016 16:48 #37868 by peterg1000
Replied by peterg1000 on topic No more double sided tape for fixturing???
I was only thinking of the double sided as an alternative to the cyanoacrylate.

The "Diall" tape I used is fine at room temperature but looses the will to live at 50 - 60 degrees C!!. I found this out the hard way when I attached a part to the backplate on my lathe, a few decent cuts and it all fell apart!! Some 3M stuff I have is much less affected by temperature.

SC 420/2, Industrial VFD spindle from StoneyCNC
UC100 + UCCNC
Cut2D, Autosketch10, Draftsight, Eagle 9.5.1

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2016 20:02 #37873 by DerRoy
Replied by DerRoy on topic No more double sided tape for fixturing???

julius wrote:

DerRoy wrote: Sure a vaccum pad costs some money, but it is still worth it.
I got mine from EBay for abt. 45€ (300x200) and as I mentioned before, I use my standard vaccuum cleaner to run it.

Very interesting...
But I've read somewhere that using a standard vaccuum cleaner is dangerous 'cause you can overheat it. Furthermore, running a vacuum pump/cleaner is very noisy! It makes more noise than the machine itself.

Well, as long as the same vacuum cleaner is used for the suction hood as well, It gets enough air for cooling.
Of course it is noisy, but this depends pretty much on the vacuum cleaner you have ;)

MfG
Roy

SC 600/2; SolidWorks; UCCnC und UC100; EstlCam und Arduino Steuerung; KRESS 800kfme;

More
24 Oct 2016 13:54 #38563 by Owen Sparks
Replied by Owen Sparks on topic No more double sided tape for fixturing???
There have been some interesting new materials developed for beds in 3d printing. When warm they stick to the part being built like glue. When the cool down the material just pops off.

I wonder if something similar could be used here? (For those not inclined to listen to vacs for too long.)

Cheers,
Owen S.

Production Engineer
HWM-Water Ltd.