file Frage 840 almost there but white baseplate problem

Mehr
20 Jan 2017 10:59 #42829 von ScaleWorkz
840 almost there but white baseplate problem wurde erstellt von ScaleWorkz
The assembly went quite well and apart from a wrong length zx end-switch cable (for a 600) everything was complete.

-I soldered a piece of extra wire to end-switch cable to make it the correct length, no big deal. No way i was going to take x and z apart completely to install the correct length cable, didn't even bothered asking stepcraft the 840 cable.

But the first real issue now is mounting the white baseplate, one of the last steps. I have to use excessive force to slide/push it in place and it gets really stuck 20cm from the end. Removing it is impossible without a wood block and a hammer! :woohoo:

There is clearly a dimension problem with this plate. Tried losening some bolts (not really needed at this point according to the manual) just to try but this didn't help.

Anyone experienced this?

Thanks

Frank

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
20 Jan 2017 12:07 - 20 Jan 2017 12:08 #42841 von peterg1000
Hi Frank,

Interesting that you had a problem with your XZ cable, I did with mine on an SC420/2 a couple of years ago. This has been highlighted many times and still STEPCRAFT HAVE NOT CORRECTED THIS - LISTEN AND TAKE ACTION!!!

I think you may have to relieve the baseplate by some judicious sanding or bending. Mine was certainly not flat but could be fitted with a little force!! You might be able to correct any distortion by the application of some gentle heat ( < 100 degrees C) with a hair dryer, as it's probably a resin bonded item.

Probable best to let it cool before trying to refit, otherwise you might need a bigger hammer if it warps again when it cools. :evil:

IMHO it would be wise to do your "tuning" without the baseplate fitted, but make sure the workbench really is flat and not twisting the machine. By the way, don't overtighten the moveable rollers - 1/4 is far to much in my view, just touching is sufficient in my experience otherwise you might get the axis jamming at some point.

Good luck!!

Peter

SC 420/2, Industrial VFD spindle from StoneyCNC
UC100 + UCCNC
Cut2D, Autosketch10, Draftsight, Eagle 9.5.1

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.
Letzte Änderung: 20 Jan 2017 12:08 von peterg1000. Grund: punctuation

Mehr
20 Jan 2017 13:03 #42852 von ScaleWorkz
Thank you, Peter

Doing the fine tuning and getting the axes to move before trying to fix that baseplate issue is a good idea.
Already did some carefull little sanding of the baseplate edges with a slight improvment but it will need more I think.

Frank

Mehr
20 Jan 2017 14:13 #42857 von DerRoy
Just to get it right, you kept the screws of the end plate (Both sides, front and rear of the machine) unfastened when setting in the base plate?
I am not sure if it is really a good idea to do the fine tuning without the base plate, you might get some unwanted tension to the portal/screws after inserting it.

BR
Roy

MfG
Roy

SC 600/2; SolidWorks; UCCnC und UC100; EstlCam und Arduino Steuerung; KRESS 800kfme;

Mehr
20 Jan 2017 14:45 #42860 von DocBrown
I had a similar problem with my baseplate but that was related to some minor damage of the aluminium profile inside.
So it needed some finishing with a rasp and then it was ok.

Viele Grüße

Hartmut
V2/420 China 800W wassergekühlt
UCCNC & ARDUINO ESTLCAM Controller
ESTLCAM & QCAD
DK5LH/G11

Mehr
20 Jan 2017 15:54 #42864 von peterg1000
Roy, I think the most important thing is not to have the machine twisted, I can't see how it can be properly set up if it's distorted.

Frank, If you can achieve no distortion with the baseboard in place, then fine, otherwise be wary, you may be eating away at the torque margins of the steppers.

Peter

UC100 + UCCNC

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.

Mehr
20 Jan 2017 16:28 #42865 von ScaleWorkz
If i followed de manual correctly the front and back plate must be fastened before inserting the baseplate. I expected that it would slide in quite easy with some minor force but from the beginning there so much resistance that i need to block the machine on a bench against the wall using wood blocks for protection. There so much increasing friction and tension that it remains stuck 20 cm from the end. Taking it out again is real pita, carrefully hammering it back with a small hamer and woodblock.
I did loosen the bolts from the front and backplate and tried again but this didn't make much difference other than more frustration because the metal botom plate jumped out of its groove :evil:

It looks like the top of the both borders lengthwise of the baseplate are machined to fit into the groove of the alu sides. I'm pretty sure something is not correct and out of specs. I even suspect that the overall dimension of this plate is wrong, even a couple of mm. The plate is not bent.

Patience and carefull sanding is next, i feel i have no other choice. I hope that the AL T nut plate that i wanted to buy some day in the future has a better fit, it better is :huh: at the price this thing is selling...

Frank

Mehr
20 Jan 2017 17:05 #42866 von peterg1000
Frank,

Something is badly amiss if you had to resort to such drastic methods - sounds like a horror story, is it too wide?

My T slot baseplate fitted like a dream - expensive but it stabilises the machine and makes work-piece holding so much more versatile.

As you say, sanding your baseplate is now your only recourse to making it fit. Remember the old adage - measure twice, cut once!!

Happy sanding!!

Peter

UC100 + UCCNC

Mehr
20 Jan 2017 19:09 #42871 von jvalencia
Yep, I also had to sand the baseplate borders because it was impossible to slide in. Bad design is bad.

Stepcraft 2 840
Kress 800 FME
UCCNC + UC100
V-Carve + QCad

Mehr
22 Jan 2017 14:09 - 22 Jan 2017 14:09 #42989 von Doug

DerRoy schrieb: Just to get it right, you kept the screws of the end plate (Both sides, front and rear of the machine) unfastened when setting in the base plate?
I am not sure if it is really a good idea to do the fine tuning without the base plate, you might get some unwanted tension to the portal/screws after inserting it.

BR
Roy

Agreed but as Peter says, probably this advice is most relevant for the rigid aluminum T-slot tables.

jvalencia schrieb: Yep, I also had to sand the baseplate borders because it was impossible to slide in. Bad design is bad.

I also sanded mine edges to assist smooth insertion but ultimately had to loosen the end plates to get it fully home thus undoing the mechanical tuning I had just completed.

Doug

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC
Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery), dsgb.net
Letzte Änderung: 22 Jan 2017 14:09 von Doug.

Mehr
22 Jan 2017 20:57 #43024 von MMorao
Thankfully Stepcraft is paying attention to the problems and complaints showing up in the forum, and can come up with appropriate and timely measures to correct and prevent them for the following production batches. Stepctaft's concern with client satisfaction is paramount.

Clockwork Orange is a S600 with 4th axis, Kress 1050. Software is UCCNC, DeskProto, Rhino, DraftSight. Also a Silhouette Cameo for vinyl, plastic card, etc.

Mehr
22 Jan 2017 22:02 #43025 von Doug

MMorao schrieb: Thankfully Stepcraft is paying attention to the problems and complaints showing up in the forum, and can come up with appropriate and timely measures to correct and prevent them for the following production batches. Stepctaft's concern with client satisfaction is paramount.

What evidence do you have for this statement? Have Stepcraft told you that they're paying attention to problems and complaints showing up in the forum?

When will problems with excessive powder coating in the end plates be fixed in the production batches for example? It would be nice to know when we can all expect to be able to claim some warranty replacements.

Doug

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC
Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery), dsgb.net

Mehr
23 Jan 2017 01:25 #43031 von Papajorge
Buy a kit 420 I do not have problems with the plate, but I have to make bushings to all the bearings of the 4 axes to be able to adjust them since they do not
Could be fixed to the housings.
The adjustment of the axles was less than 1/4 of a turn as the adjustment of 1/4 slowed the car a lot.
The screws adjust the carriage at both ends and then turn it all the way.
The bushings I built them with a Boley lathe since I dedicate myself to repair of aeronautical instruments.
Thank you!
Anibal

Mehr
23 Jan 2017 09:35 #43049 von peterg1000
Hi,

IMHO it is unlikely that Stepcraft will make any real improvements to the product as long as this forum is acting as their customer service and complaints dept.

I believe that what is needed is a quality assurance manager who will identify and collate all the various problems as they arise. Only then will the extent of these problems become clear so that targeted remedial action can be taken.

Peter

UC100 + UCCNC

Mehr
23 Jan 2017 11:00 #43056 von DocBrown
Hi Peter,

you are right. I had also a problem with the base-plate but fortunately is was the only one with exception of the UC100 which died after some month but was exchanged at no charge.

However I mailed the problem with the base-plate or better say the damaged alu-profiles to Stepcraft with a notice to the qulity department...
I got the answer that because I fixed it myself now no action is neccessary.

I believe that Stepcraft is handling each issue as an individual one and decide from case to case what to do.
I also cannot see that there is really a quality control collecting issues and steer and control external vendors or stimulate internal employess to have an eye on 100% quality.

Fortunately for me my 2/420 is running very well since end of 2015 but I must say I'm an model- and electronics-hobbyist since many many years as well as I'm working as a technician in a quality department...

Viele Grüße

Hartmut
V2/420 China 800W wassergekühlt
UCCNC & ARDUINO ESTLCAM Controller
ESTLCAM & QCAD
DK5LH/G11

Mehr
23 Jan 2017 11:33 #43057 von MMorao
Boys, boys, boys, you have to turn your Sarcasm Detectors to something above Low :evil:

Clockwork Orange is a S600 with 4th axis, Kress 1050. Software is UCCNC, DeskProto, Rhino, DraftSight. Also a Silhouette Cameo for vinyl, plastic card, etc.

Mehr
23 Jan 2017 15:24 - 23 Jan 2017 15:26 #43079 von Owen Sparks

peterg1000 schrieb: Hi,

I believe that what is needed is a quality assurance manager who will identify and collate all the various problems as they arise. Only then will the extent of these problems become clear so that targeted remedial action can be taken.

Peter

As a production engineer I think this "kit build" is a complete cop out.

Sure it saves the end user a couple of £, but not that much in the scheme of things. Sure fully assembled the shipping would be daft but the is no reason machines couldn't be shipped in two flat sub-assemblies, one for the base and the other for the gantry.

As soon as Stepcraft stand up and try to assemble these things on a proper production line then all these missing parts, ill fitting parts and bonkers design decisions will jump out at them. I'm sure a design engineer would then be called to task (or hired) to quickly put in some measures to improve things.

As sub-assemblies the fit and tuning would be SC's responsibility and we would receive tested and working machines. Quality and customer satisfaction, not to mention repeat orders would increase.

Perhaps I'm wrong but given this is V2 and all these problems exist I don't hold out much hope.

Unless changes are made I can see Chinese machines easily surpassing the quality seen here and Stepcraft will be a memory.

Owen S.

Production Engineer
HWM-Water Ltd.
Letzte Änderung: 23 Jan 2017 15:26 von Owen Sparks. Grund: Speeling Mishtake

Mehr
23 Jan 2017 19:10 #43095 von MMorao
As a former purchasing manager, I agree completely. I have no objection to kits, I object to bad kits.

Mehr
30 Jan 2017 08:28 #43453 von unclebuck
I would like to concur with the above two statements because i like Fish finger sandwiches.

Mehr
13 Feb 2017 11:20 #44227 von steve149
I had exactly the same problems as Frank with my 840. The short cable was dealt with easily but the base-plate caused much frustration.

I managed to fit the base-plate with some force but then it proved impossible to get the y-axis to run freely. I had to sand down the edges of the base-plate. Following this I was able to tune the y-axis (after a great deal of effort, discussion with Rory and reading the many set-up related posts on this forum).

However, after a month or so of trouble free use the y-axis drive belt failed yesterday!