file Frage Help needed: PCB milling (Eagle, WinPC-NC Starter)

Mehr
30 Aug 2015 20:10 - 30 Aug 2015 20:11 #24692 von Sibert
Hello everyone,

I've been trying all day to convert a simple test PCB in Eagle to something useable for WinPC-NC starter. I've tried exporting as DXF, a plugin to export as SVG and PCB-GCODE. I've also tried using EstlCAM.

Instead of Eagle, I've also tried using DipTrace for creating the PCB, which works a little better than the other options.

In short, I tried everything to convert a board in Eagle to useable file for WinPC-NC starter.

Is there anyone out there who can help me with this problem?

Unfortunatly, as a student, the purchase of the Stepcraft drained my bankaccount so I have no more money for expensive software, so I'm looking for freeware options.

Thanks!
Letzte Änderung: 30 Aug 2015 20:11 von Sibert.

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
30 Aug 2015 22:28 - 30 Aug 2015 22:44 #24704 von Sibert
By now I have finally managed to get PCB-GCODE to work properly, but estlcam doesnt handle it very well, and WinPC-NC doesnt handle it at all :\

The first attachement is how the G-code looks in a viewer/g-code convertor (to DXF).
The second attachement is how the DXF looks in WinPC-NC starter (I have got the same result with different programs and conversions and whatnot, so I doubt the g-code convertor is buddy)

Dieser Beitrag enthält Bilddateien.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um sie zu sehen.

Letzte Änderung: 30 Aug 2015 22:44 von Sibert. Grund: Screenshots

Mehr
30 Aug 2015 22:53 - 30 Aug 2015 22:59 #24706 von Sibert
I solved the issue!

Here is my method to make a PCB using Eagle and WinPC-NC Starter:

1. Use the PCB-GCODE plugin for Eagle to generate the gcode file
2. Load the gcode into G-Code-ripper and convert it to DXF
3. Open the DXF in QCAD, save as DXF (R12, this is important)
4. Open it in your CAM processor is you think thats necessairy or load it in WinPC-NC
5. ???
6. Profit :)

edit: only issue remaining is that the size is way too big, but that shouldn't be to hard to figure out
Letzte Änderung: 30 Aug 2015 22:59 von Sibert.

Mehr
30 Aug 2015 23:03 - 30 Aug 2015 23:07 #24707 von jvalencia
Just an idea. Use Inkscape to vectorize the png image.

And then import the svg with your CAD software.

[edit]

mmm I'm reading that Eagle has a DXF export function.

link to groups.google.com post

Stepcraft 2 840
Kress 800 FME
UCCNC + UC100
V-Carve + QCad
Letzte Änderung: 30 Aug 2015 23:07 von jvalencia.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Sibert

Mehr
30 Aug 2015 23:13 #24708 von Sibert
I've tried that, but the Eagle DXF doesn't even look okay in Inkscape

Mehr
31 Aug 2015 09:43 #24713 von jvalencia
Can you try opening it with QCad? It's free.

QCad link

Stepcraft 2 840
Kress 800 FME
UCCNC + UC100
V-Carve + QCad

Mehr
31 Aug 2015 10:08 #24717 von Sibert
I'll try it when I get home, but as I mentioned yesterday, I have a fix for the issue (although fairly complicated). But it would be great if we could figure out a more elegant solution!

Mehr
04 Sep 2015 20:10 #24832 von Sibert
Sorry for taking a while, but, I tried opening the DXF by Eagle in QCad and it looks fairly okay, but the ground plane isn't there en the traces are just lines, which isn't very great as well

Mehr
07 Sep 2015 10:18 #24906 von peterg1000
Hi Sibert,

This may not be practical for you at the moment, but if and when you have the chance to upgrade your software do give serious consideration to UCCNC with a UC100 motion controller.

After a lot of uncertainty at the beginning I decided to go that route when I ordered my SC420/2. I have no regrets at all about that decision. UCCNC is straightforward and intuitive to use, will directly handle the G code format that is used almost universally for CNC machines. Vectric progammes such as Cut2d produce G-code that works correctly without any further intervention.

I also wanted the ability to mill pcb prototypes from Eagle board layouts. The G code produced by the PCB-GCODE ulp runs faultlessly on the 420, and allows full control of the machine via the setup pages. I plotted my first trial effort and posted the results in this forum last week.

I hasten to add that I have no connection with any of the items I have mentioned other than being a very satisfied user.

Peter

SC 420/2, Industrial VFD spindle from StoneyCNC
UC100 + UCCNC
Cut2D, Autosketch10, Draftsight, Eagle 9.5.1

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.

Mehr
08 Sep 2015 13:49 #24919 von rjh
Hello,

Another vote for UCCNC and the UC100 USB Controller - our SC600 has been running without a hitch for well over 6 months now.

Rory Stoney is the man with the answers and very good support.

R

Mehr
10 Sep 2015 14:39 #24952 von Sibert
Okay, so I've been considering the other software, but my bank account really doesn't allow it.

I have been thinking though. I have a raspberryPi (and therefor Linux) at my disposal. Is it an option to use LinuxCNC with my raspberry pi (which also would mean my PC doesnt have to be close to the machine)?

• MagIO2
  • MagIO2s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Zu viele Ideen und zu wenig Zeit
Mehr
10 Sep 2015 17:48 - 10 Sep 2015 17:53 #24953 von MagIO2
I don't think that LinuxCNC is available as a Raspian package or as a Pi distibution. Furtheron I doubt that the Pi could generate timings accurate enough to drive the steppers.
Nevertheless I am also dreaming of a combo of a Pi and a mikrocontroller which can drive a CNC standalone. I already have the hardware but have a lack of time to do the coding.

PS: On CNC end of your problem, WinPC starter is enough for PCB milling. You only need to find the right tools to generate the files it can cope with.

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas
Letzte Änderung: 10 Sep 2015 17:53 von MagIO2.