file Frage Proxxon strange noise

Mehr
07 Dez 2015 23:39 #27948 von bfromd
Proxxon strange noise wurde erstellt von bfromd
Hi,

After having my stepcraft 420 operational for a couple of months and maybe only 10 working hours my Proxxon is starting to make loud noises. Sound something is wrong.

I only worked with soft materials like balsa, ply and depron.

What's my best option to do? Continue till Proxxon is really dead?

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

• MagIO2
  • MagIO2s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Zu viele Ideen und zu wenig Zeit
Mehr
08 Dez 2015 20:16 - 08 Dez 2015 20:19 #27976 von MagIO2
MagIO2 antwortete auf Proxxon strange noise
Congradulations,

your Proxxon is going to die!

One user had some success with opening and oiling the Proxxon. But the end is near.
I also had the first strange noises, when I bought a "james spindle head" and replaced the original head. This machine still works.

Currently there is an offer in the forum for a used james head including a proxxon.

James Head offer

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas
Letzte Änderung: 08 Dez 2015 20:19 von MagIO2.

Mehr
08 Dez 2015 21:47 #27977 von Stuart Mellor
Stuart Mellor antwortete auf Proxxon strange noise
Got the same problem after about 12 months intermittent use. Its the bearings! - Have stripped mine & oiled them. The screaching noise has gone. (for now) but I know I'm on borrowed time.
Has anyone ever replaced the bearings?

Mehr
08 Dez 2015 22:49 #27979 von bfromd
bfromd antwortete auf Proxxon strange noise
A dying Proxxon after only 10 operational hours??
I will send him back for repair (would think this will be fixed by Proxxon).

Does a Kress have the same kind of issue's and is a hd spindle the only good option for a cnc machine?

Thanks,
Bernard

Mehr
09 Dez 2015 14:46 #28006 von Rory
Rory antwortete auf Proxxon strange noise
Kress is a totally different spindle.

The Kress will stop after about 500-700 hours when the brushes get worn out. These can be replaced.

Proxxon is a really small light spindle. As soon as you can - upgrade to a kress. Its a far better experience for your milling.

Mehr
09 Dez 2015 21:57 #28020 von Stuart Mellor
Rory,

Thinking about a Kress 1050. Would this be OK for stepcraft 600 mk.1? (Same weight as 800)

I think this comes with 8mm collet - so assume I also need 3mm collet for my Proxxon bits?

Mehr
11 Dez 2015 12:35 #28055 von Rory
Kress needs modified Mounting Collar for SC MK1 - its also not supported and voids warranty. But guys are using them like this with no problems.

Mehr
12 Dez 2015 22:37 #28113 von Stuart Mellor
Hi Rory,
Thought the Kress had a 43 mm collar?

Mehr
13 Dez 2015 18:07 #28145 von Stuart Mellor
Whoops! - forgot bigger diameter of Kress. Still I'm determined to go this route.

Can I assume that Mk. 2 Tool mounting plate will fit Mk 1?

Looks like it will.

Mehr
14 Dez 2015 18:11 #28198 von tikka
tikka antwortete auf Proxxon strange noise

Stuart Mellor schrieb: ...
Has anyone ever replaced the bearings?

The following link could be of some help. Not shure if IB/E and IBS/E are the same thing.

Would like my Proxxon to last so I wonder if a short warming cycle at lower rpm before full speed milling could extend ball bearing life. Would it be a good idea to take the IBS/E out of the tool holder from time to time and let it run in other position for a moment? I read some interesting stuff from a Bridgeport CNC spindle guide material. For example it was written that you should avoid overloading of long tools because "this could alter the natural frequency of the spindle, causing the spindle bearings to fail". Then again if problem is caused by dust ingress, I guess the above wouldn`t help.

Stepcraft 600SF (version 1) parallel port
Proxxon IBS/E
Mach3
devCad Cam Pro; devWing Cam; devFus Cam; Profili Pro 2

• MagIO2
  • MagIO2s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Zu viele Ideen und zu wenig Zeit
Mehr
15 Dez 2015 00:14 - 15 Dez 2015 00:22 #28209 von MagIO2
MagIO2 antwortete auf Proxxon strange noise
The problem is not the ball bearing, it is the sintered bearing of the motor itself. It simply can`t cope with the forces transferred via the spindle. The axis of the motor is not decoupled good enough and the one ball bearing that holds the spindle is more like a wipe bearing for the side load.
The side load is transferred to the motors axis which produces heat and wears out the sintered bearing. When it is worn out enough the windings of the motor start scratching on the inside magnets of the motor. This is where the noise starts. From there on it is only a matter of time that the isolating coating of the wires gets scratches away and the motor has a nice shortcut.

The single ball bearing working as a lever is why the James-Head works pretty well. It has 7 ball bearings which withstand the side load.

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas
Letzte Änderung: 15 Dez 2015 00:22 von MagIO2.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: tikka

Mehr
21 Apr 2016 10:13 #33357 von Papuz
Papuz antwortete auf Proxxon strange noise
I had the same problem, loud noises, disassembled, lubricated, dead ... right now I'm doing a big change to mount a cutter makita

Mehr
07 Okt 2018 14:02 #54765 von UMPU
UMPU antwortete auf Proxxon strange noise
Original Proxxon IB/E had a single nose ball-bearing 14 x 8 x 4mm wide. Its successor IBS/E (except for early production) had double nose ball-bearings of the same size, which perform better as a small routing spindle. If these run dry, perhaps when dust from the material you are cutting builds up and absorbs the oil, you need to add oil from inside and from outside the aluminum nose casting. This way, you can access both bearings.

Sometimes the sintered bronze motor bushes (both front and rear) escaped the motor factory in China without oil impregnation, which is easily rectified if you act promptly, before the bushing wears excessively.

Mehr
26 Okt 2018 19:09 #54904 von Rory
Remember also that the proxxon can only "work for 15mins before having to cool"

any longer use and you've voided warranty