file Frage Newbie - Inkscape - WinPC-NC

Mehr
26 Jul 2015 18:34 #23779 von danwestman
Newbie - Inkscape - WinPC-NC wurde erstellt von danwestman
Hi!

So we are attempting to use Inkscape with WinPC-NC and a 420 (usb).

We created a drawing in inkscape, and save as DXF. When we do so, WinPC-NC recognizes dimensions wrong - its massive.

So we tried to do a full-workspace drawing (300x420mm) to figure out what was the correct scaling factor. Turns out (via process of elimination) it's somewhere around 0.040. Obviously at this level of scaling, any small-ish lines are lost and things generally fall apart when viewing in WinPC-NC.

Is this a known thing and/or is there any docs anywhere that explain what's going on? We've tried on several different computers / etc to eliminate variables and it's the same in every case. Also tried searching the forum, but nothing....

If there's a better way, or if we've missed something huge, please let us know.

Thanks!

--dan

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
26 Jul 2015 20:40 - 26 Jul 2015 20:45 #23781 von Worldhusky
Worldhusky antwortete auf Newbie - Inkscape - WinPC-NC
Hi,

danwestman schrieb: ... So we tried to do a full-workspace drawing (300x420mm) to figure out what was the correct scaling factor. Turns out (via process of elimination) it's somewhere around 0.040.

Sounds to me like an Imperial/Metric issue. 1" divided by 25.4 mm = 0.03937. Double check the units that are used in Inkscape and WinPC-NC - they have to be identical.

BTW: Inkscape is not a good choice for technical drawings. If a precisely result is important to you then I recommend to use a CAD Program! In the case that you have to watch your budget - there are many good low cost or Freeware Programs on the market. Check this out: cnc-wiki (Sorry, this Website is only in German available but it points you in the right direction)
I would recommend QCAD CE (Free and good!) to start with ... ;)

It's not only about tools it's also about skills! ;)
Letzte Änderung: 26 Jul 2015 20:45 von Worldhusky.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: danwestman

Mehr
26 Jul 2015 20:43 - 26 Jul 2015 20:45 #23782 von Voltatus
Voltatus antwortete auf Newbie - Inkscape - WinPC-NC
Hello Dan,

have you set the correct option, when you saved the DXF file in Incscape (Millimeters or Inches, not Pixel). In Germany/Switzerland, we use Millimeters, but in the USA, its probably Inches.

Chers
Thomas

SC 2/420 - Parallel, HF-500, LinuxCNC, Estlcam
Letzte Änderung: 26 Jul 2015 20:45 von Voltatus.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: danwestman

Mehr
26 Jul 2015 22:17 #23792 von danwestman
danwestman antwortete auf Newbie - Inkscape - WinPC-NC
Worldhusky:

Thanks so much for the info!

While we still don't know what's going on, setting the export to inches seems to help WinPC-NC (which is not what we expected...odd...?!).

So we've taken your advice and moved over to QCAD - very nice and affordable (still on free version, but will certainly upgrade if this works for us). We're able to import DXF files into WinPC-NC, but for some reason any text (as exploded with Modify->Explode seems to only render certain parts of the paths.

I realize this is not the support area for that, but perhaps this will help someone else if I can figure it out.

Here's what we get in WinPC-NC when the DXF is imported:

Thanks again for any help anyone can provide here - much appreciated!

--dan

Dieser Beitrag enthält einen Bildanhang.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um ihn zu sehen.

Mehr
26 Jul 2015 22:33 #23793 von danwestman
danwestman antwortete auf Newbie - Inkscape - WinPC-NC
Voltatus:

Thanks for your help here too!

So it turns out that I found an update to the WinPC-NC software after much time. If anyone has an issue where scaling is off, your program most likely needs an update.

Try here:
www.stepcraft-systems.com/service-hilfe/software

The exe and other bundled files (as indicated in the readme) need to go in the directory where the exe for WinPC-NC is. Update and restart the app - and all was good!

(still sorting out the issue above where path curves / etc aren't drawn...)

Mehr
26 Jul 2015 23:34 #23794 von Worldhusky
Worldhusky antwortete auf Newbie - Inkscape - WinPC-NC

danwestman schrieb: So we've taken your advice and moved over to QCAD

I consider that as a wise move ... ;)

danwestman schrieb: ... but for some reason any text (as exploded with Modify->Explode seems to only render certain parts of the paths.

It depends on the Text font and what WinPC-NC is able to read. However - the QCAD explode tool is the right choice but you need to know that this tool works not as a total command - it works step by step for all possible scenarios.

With other words - maybe you need to use the explode tool multiple times on the same text.

Here is what will happen with a regular text:
Created or imported Text in QCAD = Text
First use of the explode tool on this text will break it down to Lines and Splines,
Second use of the explode tool on the same text will break it further down to Lines and Polylines,
Third use of the explode tool on the same text will finally break it down to the lowest level what means you have only Lines left.

I assume the explode tool used twice on the text will already provide the proper structure for WinPC-NC - but I'm not sure ...

It's not only about tools it's also about skills! ;)

Mehr
30 Jul 2015 23:11 #23942 von jvalencia
jvalencia antwortete auf Newbie - Inkscape - WinPC-NC
+1 for QCad.

It's what I use and is great. I bought the Pro version, very cheap indeed, that adds polyline creation (and many more things), that is essential for use with CAM software.

I've send several bug reports and they have been fixed in "days". The developer is very friendly and will help in the forums.

Just my 2 (euro) cents :lol:

Stepcraft 2 840
Kress 800 FME
UCCNC + UC100
V-Carve + QCad