question-circle Frage winpc-nc setting up work peice coordinates

Mehr
20 Jan 2018 13:11 #52250 von hassage
winpc-nc setting up work peice coordinates wurde erstellt von hassage
Hi guys,

I'm on a Stepcraft 840 running winpc nc, tool paths from vcarve pro.

Am having the hardest time trying to setup the work peice coordinates.

When I enter the dimensions in the parameters dialog box, the numbers keep changing. I have to clear and enter the dimensions several times before the visuals and machine update.

Most of the time the work peice is shown way out the machine area.

Can someone show me how it is done?
Is it a bug in the software?

Thanks
Hassa

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
28 Jan 2018 18:40 #52357 von CNCMiller
Hello Hassa,

First of all witch version of WinPC-USB do you use?

I assume you setup your work piece sizes and origin in VCarve-pro.
Then generate the G-code with the right post-processor? like : WinPC-NC ATC Arcs mm (*.nc)

And your problem is when you load the *.nc in winpc you don't see the correct drawing of your workpiece?

did you load the S840 default settings in winpc-nc?

need some answers before I can help you any further.

Erik

SC 1/420 + Gantry extension, Kress 1050 FME-P, NeJe 20W Laser, WinPC-NC USB v4.00, Vectric Aspire 9, SolidWorks 2021

Mehr
29 Jan 2018 12:48 - 29 Jan 2018 12:50 #52362 von hassage
Hi erik thanks for the reply!

alright here are the details:

First of all witch version of WinPC-USB do you use?

I have the Full Version of the WinPC-USB

I assume you setup your work piece sizes and origin in VCarve-pro.

Yes, Setting up work piece sizes and origin in VCarve-pro

Then generate the G-code with the right post-processor? like : WinPC-NC ATC Arcs mm (*.nc)

Yes Correct,

And your problem is when you load the *.nc in winpc you don't see the correct drawing of your workpiece?

It is more of workpiece monitoring error in the main window of winpc i think. the guides the software shows you when you press the eye glasses button. (the tool paths show up fine!)

There are two sets of coordinates that you have to enter 1) the size of work piece & 2) is either the origin of the machine or a user defined point. (is this correct?)

When I set the starting origin of the of workpiece coordinates to be Zero X,Y. machine bed of StepCraft 840 the correct workpiece size is defined.
if this point is moved the workpiece size defined earlier suddenly changes. (eg: if workpiece was perfect square, changing the origin distorts the size and looks like a rectangle).

It funny cause i do a check to see if the correct size of the workpiece has been defined by moving the spindle from edge to edge and it matches perfectly. but the visual guide showing the workpiece on the software will be else where!

I am not very good at explaining this and for some reason i cant attach any screenshots to show you what i mean!

It is not stopping me from working, the machine works fine but it would be nice to see the correct visual guides were shown on the software.

did you load the S840 default settings in winpc-nc?

It was already loaded when i got the software and machine. However, i have checked to the best of my knowledge the default settings of the software and they seem to be correct

need some answers before I can help you any further.

I hope those answers make it clear. would be good if i can post a few screenshots!

also on a side note, is a 2mm machine bed level difference from one side to the next along x axis a very large one? or is this a normal level error you would get with a stepcraft?

thanks
hassa
Letzte Änderung: 29 Jan 2018 12:50 von hassage. Grund: editing and correcting spelling

Mehr
29 Jan 2018 14:57 - 29 Jan 2018 15:08 #52364 von CNCMiller
Ok Hassa,

I assumed that you have the full version of WinPC-NC USB but there are two versions of it the older 2.5 and newest 3.0 But the interface is quite different so before I send you some screenshot it would be nice to send the correct ones ;)

You set the size of your work piece in Vcarve and origin for G-Code calculation
In WinPC you set a custom origin if desired explained later

I tried to upload pictures but it isn't working :angry: :evil:

But lets assume you have version 3.0
- Go to and open the tab "Parameters" on the top of the start screen.
- Open tab "Basic settings".
- Open tab "Dimensions", Check if your machine dimensions are correct ( from + 0.00 to the max boundaries specified for the 840). This should be correct when 840 factory setting is loaded.

Next
- Open the tab "Coordinates".
- Set your desired parking position
- Leave the scaling factor to 1.00
- If you bought the toollength sensor set at surface block the correction height (32.50mm)
- Tool lift default +10.00 mm
- Zero point these are the coordinates for the default setting in the winpc file and can be changed in the graphic interface at an time, so just for default value
- Zero point in file default "bottom left" but can be changed to various sides see drop down menu.

You can also define the size of your working-piece (can you set boundaries so you don't hit the machine bed)

These are the main important settings for correct functioning.

Ok now your default parameters are set and will automatically loaded by starting the winpc program.

Now you load the *.nc file (the G-code file) and your project will be displayed on the GUI. If you didn't have a workpiece boundary calculated in VCarve the first object will be presented at the default X-Y zero position. (a little grey square).

If you want to change the origin go the JOG button and move your spindle to the desired position and press save to Zero point XY
Later you save these values with the file by exit and than these coordinates will load when opening this specific file.

this should work

Oh almost forgot.
2 mm difference between the left en right side of the machine is way too much. I have on my 420 a tolerance of 0.1 mm
Check your portal and X-axis loose the screws and readjust, there are some videos of stony cnc on how to do it.

SC 1/420 + Gantry extension, Kress 1050 FME-P, NeJe 20W Laser, WinPC-NC USB v4.00, Vectric Aspire 9, SolidWorks 2021
Letzte Änderung: 29 Jan 2018 15:08 von CNCMiller.

Mehr
29 Jan 2018 16:06 #52367 von hassage
hey eric,

it seems that there must be something up with the software cause im doing the same steps you had described.
Ill double check the process and settings again to see if im missing something (unfortunately i wont be able to get the machine for another three weeks!!).
I am not sure what the version no is. ill have to check that also.

As for the alignment problem, i had a feeling that it was way off (but couldn't wait to get something done on the Stepcraft so just closed eyes and let the spoilboard trimming fix it for me).

will have to check lead screws and all now and fine tune it. Also what did you mean by the portal?

thanks and will get back to you in about 3 weeks with any results or findings.

hassa