file Question 4th Axis module stepper motor getting very hot

• jcc26
  • jcc26's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
17 Mar 2015 15:45 #17405 by jcc26
Hi,

I'm using the 4th axis module with my own Stepper motor at the moment (17HS19-1684S). Everything runs as expected but during normal use, the Stepper motor and driver chip get very hot.

Why is this happening and is this to be expected?

Can I use a set current resistor to resolve this issue? (I don't know if it can be placed on the 4th axis module)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MagIO2
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Zu viele Ideen und zu wenig Zeit
More
23 Mar 2015 08:13 #17621 by MagIO2
The 3rd axis module is meant to be used with the circular table. The motor used there is rated with a max. currency of 3A. I would expect that the current setting of the module is somewhere close to that value.

Your motor on the other hand is rated with 1.6A.

Propably it is possible to measure the current that really goes through the motor. Don't deattach coils when switched on, so switch off the electronics, add a current meter in series to one of the coils and switch it on again. The current should also be there when the motors don't turn.

A resistor in series with the coils will only change current if voltage limit is reached and it is a waste of power - not to mention that the resistor also needs to be able to dissipate that amount of power. The better solution would be to change the current setting of the motor driver IC which is used on the module. I don't know the module, so I can't say wheather there is a poti or wheather there is a fixed resistor to set the output current.

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas

More
23 Mar 2015 15:00 #17642 by Rory
yes - too much current going through the motor.

It might be a better idea to use the 3D printer output connector and us the low level step and dir digital signals and use your own drive. Always a risk using a non standard motor.

As MagI02 said the way to lower the current is with the drive. Not sure if this is possible with the 4th axis module. its defo not an easy change.

• Mogul
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • MF70 CNC und SC-1/416 ;-) mit Mach3
More
23 Mar 2015 15:12 #17643 by Mogul
Hello,
the stepper motor controllers are often only suitable for certain resistance values of stepper motors, for example, min. 1.6 ohms. This could be a cause of overheating.

greeting
Helmut