file Question Workbench with dust and soundproofing?

• Nordin
  • Nordin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
08 Jun 2015 11:15 #22029 by Nordin
Hi

My 600 Arrived a few days ago and I can't wait to build it, but I have a leaking workshop roof to fix first :(
And I have no work bench for it at the moment, I was just going to build something simple with room for the machine and the computer. Then I came across this image:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

In my unexperienced eyes it looks like a very good idea for my 600, soundproof and it will help to contain the dust.

Does anyone here know if there are any drawbacks with this kind of design?

My worries are that it might be to hot and to dusty. Will mainly work with softwood and MDF.

Or maybe someone here have a better solution?

Hope you guys can help

Cheers
Martin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2015 12:26 - 08 Jun 2015 12:52 #22032 by Voltatus
Replied by Voltatus on topic Workbench with dust and soundproofing?
Hello Martin,

I built a very similar box see

I recommand to us a good extraction unit, because its hard to get the dust from the napped foam.

The temperature inside the box is no problem, until now, but I'm waiting for a hot summer :)

I have also installed an external emergency stop button, because the duration to open my plexiglas front, is to long.

If you need a very good noise reduction, you have to build a massiv front with small window. If a good reduction is enought, the plexiglas works fine. Without any front, the reduction is minimal.

I wish you success with your Stepcraft.

Greetings
Tom

SC 2/420 - Parallel, HF-500, LinuxCNC, Estlcam
Last edit: 08 Jun 2015 12:52 by Voltatus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nordin

• MagIO2
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Zu viele Ideen und zu wenig Zeit
More
08 Jun 2015 16:12 #22038 by MagIO2
Replied by MagIO2 on topic Workbench with dust and soundproofing?
2 points:
Dust
Maintenance

Dust should not be a problem if you add a tube to the vac and a exhaust adapter.
Degreasing and greasing might be a pain. I would mount the bottom of the box to sliders which allow to slide the whole machine out of the box. This gives you easy access to both sides and the backside of the portal.

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nordin, MMorao

More
14 Jun 2015 19:01 #22254 by danowar
Replied by danowar on topic Workbench with dust and soundproofing?
I am building a similar box, and though I would share my plan for helping keep the foam clean. I have used this technique for strengthening foam inside of cases I use for RC components.

After the walls are built, spray them with a nice thick layer of plasti-dip spray. I am not sure how this will effect the sound deadening of the foam, but it certainly will make cleaning dust off of it easier. Plasti-dip spray is available at all the major home improvement stores in the US (Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, etc)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nordin