file Question Removable Tool Length Sensor

• Evan
  • Evan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
09 May 2016 13:31 - 09 May 2016 13:33 #34035 by Evan
Removable Tool Length Sensor was created by Evan
Thought I would share a small mod I made to the tool length sensor. I didn't like how it had to be hardwired to the control board as I could trip on it, people could pull on it or get caught on it. So I decided to make it removable when the machine is not in use. There is a small hole on the front plate, left of the E-stop, I haven't a clue what is needed for so this is where the plug would go. I used a headphone jack and socket (RS components parts: 505-1429 and 505-1334).

I shortened the cable attached to the sensor but still having enough length to reach every point on the tabletop, then I soldered and connected the headphone jack. The plug was tricker, I had to make a flange for the rear of the plug and secured it with epoxy glue and then made a washer for the front (acetal). A little bit of insulation tape added some thickness to the plug as it was a little loose in the hole. Very happy with how it turned out.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 09 May 2016 13:33 by Evan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mcc, Joules, hassage

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2016 18:47 - 09 May 2016 18:47 #34046 by jvalencia
Replied by jvalencia on topic Removable Tool Length Sensor

Stepcraft 2 840
Kress 800 FME
UCCNC + UC100
V-Carve + QCad
Last edit: 09 May 2016 18:47 by jvalencia.

More
11 May 2016 12:30 #34077 by Laffer
Replied by Laffer on topic Removable Tool Length Sensor
I was just thinking about accidentally pulling that cable, I might do a similar mod to my unit too.

More
13 Aug 2018 12:00 #54386 by hassage
Replied by hassage on topic Removable Tool Length Sensor
Will this work when using the laser?

They say that I have to keep the tool length sensor pressed when using the laser attachment.

I was wondering if I added your mod to the sensor and remove it when using the laser will it work?

Thanks
Hassa

More
27 Feb 2019 17:58 #56020 by CT63
Replied by CT63 on topic Removable Tool Length Sensor
Hi Evan,
I'm not electronically minded and without a solder iron, so I took my sensor to a local electronics shop to get a jack plug fitted. They insisted I needed a mono plug as there was only 2 wires on the sensor. I got one fitted but when I plug it into the stepcraft it immediately lights up the probe IO on the diagnostics - when I then press the sensor it goes off. This is the opposite of what it is supposed to do. I note from your first photo that you have a stereo plug fitted (2 black bands instead of 1 on a mono) which is something the shop said couldn't be done as a stereo plug needs 3 wires apparently?!?! and I'll take a leap of faith that that is the reason why I'm getting opposite readings on the diagnostics. If I take the plug back for replacement with a stereo plug, can you clarify for me where the 2 wires go so I can "instruct" the shop what to do.

Best regards
Craig

More
27 Feb 2019 19:27 #56021 by CNCMiller
Replied by CNCMiller on topic Removable Tool Length Sensor
Craig,

The tool sensor works with shortcut the circuit.
So two wires lets say 1 minus (-) and 1 plus (+) when the two get connected the sensor is on and immidiatly the Z-height is set.
In your case the circuit is already made, so somewhere the two wires are crossed or make contact in the plug Female or male.

Is your female plug (on the machine) a stereo connector? if so check that your two wires are not both to the + are connected.

The problem is most likely not in your mono plug.

Good luck

SC 1/420 + Gantry extension, Kress 1050 FME-P, NeJe 20W Laser, WinPC-NC USB v4.00, Vectric Aspire 9, SolidWorks 2021