file Question Winpcnc usb and Stepcraft: Edge Probe

• Steve
  • Steve's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
11 Jul 2016 18:22 #35712 by Steve
I have seen that winpcnc usb offers a menu option to use an Edge Probe.

Anybody knows if it is possible to configure it in Stepcraft?

Angel

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2016 10:35 #36255 by CNCMiller
Replied by CNCMiller on topic Winpcnc usb and Stepcraft: Edge Probe
I personaly have no idea.
But I suggest you ask your question directly to the Stepcraft manufacture using the the contact form/tab.
they helpt me very quick with the answers I need.

SC 1/420 + Gantry extension, Kress 1050 FME-P, NeJe 20W Laser, WinPC-NC USB v4.00, Vectric Aspire 9, SolidWorks 2021

• Steve
  • Steve's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
01 Aug 2016 12:33 #36260 by Steve
Replied by Steve on topic Winpcnc usb and Stepcraft: Edge Probe
Thanks,
I already send the question to Stepcraft. The answer is that no solution exist yet or a workaround is available. I have bought an 8mm shaft edge finder and will try to use it manually.It should arrive this week. Will post the experience.

More
02 Aug 2016 09:48 #36272 by peterg1000
Replied by peterg1000 on topic Winpcnc usb and Stepcraft: Edge Probe
I believe that UCCNC has the means to use a touch probe, though it means that you will need to acquire or write appropriate macro's to make it all work. It's one of the things on my "to do" list once I've got my head around writing macro's.

Using UCCNC means more expense, but I can thoroughly recommend that route with a UC100 USB to parallel "dongle".

Peter

SC 420/2, Industrial VFD spindle from StoneyCNC
UC100 + UCCNC
Cut2D, Autosketch10, Draftsight, Eagle 9.5.1

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.

More
02 Aug 2016 10:02 #36273 by DocBrown
Replied by DocBrown on topic Winpcnc usb and Stepcraft: Edge Probe
Peter,

recently I found a "probe" macro "probing" the metalic surface of a workpiece.
Here's my post: www.stepcraft-systems.com/forum/software2/3370-uccnc-autoleveler-plugin

I implemented the plugin to my UCCNC and it's basically running but i did not use it. Hope i will find time on the weekend.

Another similar feature is implemented in Estlcam if you will use it with Arduino instead of the UC100/UCCNC:

Edge finding and surface scanning: www.estlcam.com/index.php

Viele Grüße

Hartmut
V2/420 China 800W wassergekühlt
UCCNC & ARDUINO ESTLCAM Controller
ESTLCAM & QCAD
DK5LH/G11
The following user(s) said Thank You: peterg1000

More
02 Aug 2016 13:42 #36281 by peterg1000
Hartmut,

That's most interesting - I'm grappling with the problem of precise board location when engraving double sided pcb's. My current thinking is a fixed straight edge and a single locating peg anchored in the sacrificial layer, this being drilled and fitted when the bottom layer is being engraved. This would be at X,Y = 0 for both top and bottom engraving.

I've convinced myself I can jog to better than 100 microns in lining up an engraving bit with the edge of a pin using a jewelers loupe !!! If it all comes together I want to try mounting some SMD components along with regular though hole devices. I find that many of the best newer devices are only available as SMD, which is very frustrating if they can't be mounted easily.

Regards.

Peter

UC100 + UCCNC

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.

More
02 Aug 2016 14:12 #36282 by DocBrown
Hi Peter,

I'm glad that last weekend I managed milling / engraving my second acceptable single layer PCB using the ESTLCAM autoleveling feature. The fourth PCB was good enough and so finally I've now the parameters I will use in future but that was a long way :lol:

A double-sided PCB will be the next step but SMD ... :woohoo:

Viele Grüße

Hartmut
ESTLCAM & QCAD
DK5LH/G11

More
02 Aug 2016 17:03 - 02 Aug 2016 17:07 #36288 by peterg1000
Hi Hartmut,

I made a small vacuum table and milled the sacrificial layer flat using a 1/4" end mill. It measures up to be flat within 0.001" over the whole area. FR4 is held and sealed using masking tape, and a good vacuum from a vane type pump makes sure the whole PCB area is held firmly and flat.

Using a 60deg engraving bit, the track and isolation can be reliably reduced to 0.01" (250 microns) This gives me hope that some of the larger SMD chips would be usable.

Here's a picture of one of my earlier efforts - later ones have narrower 250 micron tracks and isolation. I've realised after my last post that two pins through the board would be better than one - no need then to reset the X,Y = 0 hence less chance of layer misalignment.

Regards,

Peter.

UC100 + UCCNC

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 02 Aug 2016 17:07 by peterg1000. Reason: minor typing correction
The following user(s) said Thank You: DocBrown

More
02 Aug 2016 17:37 #36290 by DocBrown
Looking perfect!

I'm using a 30° engraving bit and Z = -0.06mm. With this nearly only the copper surface will be removed. Unfortunately any of my PCB material is a little bit bend and not flat...maybe too cheap material. But the autoleveling of Estlcam is working great, so no problem with that.

My next project is in work but I need also some practice in PCB design...I'm using Target3001, not Eagle as most people do.

Cheers

Hartmut

Viele Grüße

Hartmut
ESTLCAM & QCAD
DK5LH/G11