file Question Automatic X,Y,Z Zero tool ?

• badgersurfer
  • badgersurfer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
02 Aug 2016 12:13 #36276 by badgersurfer
Automatic X,Y,Z Zero tool ? was created by badgersurfer
I am awaiting delivery of my Stepcraft 420 and reading through the various manuals etc. One item I noticed was the the Z zero accessory.
I had a look on YouTube and watched this video of a guy that had made one to set on the corner of his material to set x,y,z. His was designed for the xcarve with an arduino controller.
This seems to me simple to make, and a lot more useful. Has anyone made one?
If not, any idea of whether it can be set up for the Stepcraft 420, what pins would I need to use and would it work on the UUCNC software?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2016 12:29 #36277 by DocBrown
Replied by DocBrown on topic Automatic X,Y,Z Zero tool ?
Hi,

currently there is no such function implemented in UCCNC but I think it can be made with a macro.

I'm using as an alternative to my UCCNC the software ESTLCAM. Main function is "CAM", but SW has also an optional CNC part which uses an ARDUINO UNO as a CNC Controller. And here this function is implemented. See this video here:

Automatic...

The SW can also be switched to English and can be downloaded and used for free but the more you use the more the SW is pausing. So if you like the SW it's better to pay for it.

Viele Grüße

Hartmut
V2/420 China 800W wassergekühlt
UCCNC & ARDUINO ESTLCAM Controller
ESTLCAM & QCAD
DK5LH/G11
The following user(s) said Thank You: badgersurfer

• badgersurfer
  • badgersurfer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
02 Aug 2016 16:30 #36287 by badgersurfer
Replied by badgersurfer on topic Automatic X,Y,Z Zero tool ?
Any ideas what is inside the Stepcraft Tool height gizmo?

More
31 Aug 2016 12:07 - 31 Aug 2016 12:11 #37069 by Evan
Replied by Evan on topic Automatic X,Y,Z Zero tool ?
Hi Badgersurfer,

It is a small micro switch.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 31 Aug 2016 12:11 by Evan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: badgersurfer

More
31 Aug 2016 13:43 #37071 by peterg1000
Replied by peterg1000 on topic Automatic X,Y,Z Zero tool ?
Hi,

If you are thinking of a DIY unit, be very careful that the microswitch you choose is properly specified. The cheapo ones from China usually have nothing as regards over travel or differential travel etc mentioned in their specification.

One which might be acceptable is a Honeywell ZX10C10A01 which has these parameters specified on their data sheet. This one has a specified differential travel of 0.3mm (0.012")max, so presumably repeatability would be somewhat better than this - by how much is anybody's guess. They are low cost anyway, <$1.50 in 1off's - lots of stockists too in US and UK.

Peter

SC 420/2, Industrial VFD spindle from StoneyCNC
UC100 + UCCNC
Cut2D, Autosketch10, Draftsight, Eagle 9.5.1

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.

More
31 Aug 2016 14:13 #37072 by DerRoy
Replied by DerRoy on topic Automatic X,Y,Z Zero tool ?
Hi,

this kind of tool is possible with EstlCam.
It is called touch plate.
There is a video available on the EstlCam Web page: EstlCam
Scroll down on the first page.

EstlCam can be connected to the parallel port of the Stepcraft via an Arduino Uno.
Works like a charm and is very powerfull. I made this modification and I don't have any need for UCCNC anymore.

BR
Roy

MfG
Roy

SC 600/2; SolidWorks; UCCnC und UC100; EstlCam und Arduino Steuerung; KRESS 800kfme;