file Question Who wants a Stepcraft 420?...

• Pitch
  • Pitch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
07 Feb 2017 14:34 #43908 by Pitch
Who wants a Stepcraft 420?... was created by Pitch
Hello community,

I bought a Stepcraft 420 in mid-December and since then, I think it is safe to say that I'm a new unsuspecting victim of the Stepcraft self-assembly process.
To make a long story short, I assembled/ disassembled the machine three times already (first time was a blinking red light- mainboard was dead-, second time one of the stepper motors didn't move normally, third time one of them didn't move at all)...
I will probably be able to make it work one fine day, but frankly, after my short experience and the comments I read on the English forum, I don't feel like it! I prefer selling it and loose money...

For more information, please contact me by PM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ThomasDbg
  • SC2/600 mit HF Spindel 500W
More
07 Feb 2017 16:42 - 07 Feb 2017 16:43 #43914 by ThomasDbg
Replied by ThomasDbg on topic Who wants a Stepcraft 420?...
Good afternoon, Sylvain!

Unhappy to hear this! Just let us help you to assemble it! You bought it via Ironwood? Haven´t they tried to help you? No problem, you can also get in contact with us directly, just send an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or let the community help you!

Kind regards,
Thomas

Produktevangelist :-)

Es grüßt mit der Ihm gegebenen Freundlichkeit...

...der Thomas
Last edit: 07 Feb 2017 16:43 by ThomasDbg.

More
07 Feb 2017 17:18 #43918 by SFDeeJay
Replied by SFDeeJay on topic Who wants a Stepcraft 420?...
Pitch: Your experience is much the same as mine, as my US distributor assured me assembly would be "no problem". Fortunately, as you see from ThomasDbg's response, there are a LOT of folk out there willing to help. In my case, I went as far as to (stupidly) try to remove orange powder coat for a better fit, and sliced through FOUR tiny wires! After painstaking soldering, all is working well now. I would encourage you to not give up, but understand, as I was almost willing to take a loss on my ST2-600.

More
07 Feb 2017 18:40 #43923 by peterg1000
Replied by peterg1000 on topic Who wants a Stepcraft 420?...
Hi,

Glad to hear that SFDeeJay persisted and finally had success.

IMHO anyone starting to assemble an SC machine would be well advised to do a full mechanical assembly and "tune" first, without any wiring, until all the axes are working freely and accurately over their whole range of travel.

Positioning of the fixed rollers is critical in getting the Z-axis trammed properly, and it is vital to get the gantry sides properly aligned if the Y-axis is to run freely over its full travel. Doing these adjustments with wiring in place is almost impossible, as some adjustments can't be verified until mechanical assembly is almost completed.

Lastly, don't overtighten the moving rollers - therein lies the route to jammed axes!!. JUST remove any free play between roller and guide track, too much pressure and there is a risk of damage to either or both roller and track.

Peter

SC 420/2, Industrial VFD spindle from StoneyCNC
UC100 + UCCNC
Cut2D, Autosketch10, Draftsight, Eagle 9.5.1

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.

• Pitch
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
29 Mar 2017 16:31 #45953 by Pitch
Replied by Pitch on topic Who wants a Stepcraft 420?...
Hello guys,

Incredible! I gave my stepcraft a last chance and disassemble/rebuilt it another time, and... it works :woohoo:
I'm in the testing process and I will tel you more about this in the next episode

More
29 Mar 2017 18:46 - 29 Mar 2017 18:46 #45956 by Doug
Replied by Doug on topic Who wants a Stepcraft 420?...

Pitch wrote: Hello guys,

Incredible! I gave my stepcraft a last chance and disassemble/rebuilt it another time, and... it works

Incredible! I gave my Stepcraft five, maybe six 'last chances'.

I've had girlfriends who have had fewer last chances than this machine. Then again, they never cost me over £3,000...

Doug

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC
Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery), dsgb.net
Last edit: 29 Mar 2017 18:46 by Doug.

• Pitch
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
30 Mar 2017 15:07 #45973 by Pitch
Replied by Pitch on topic Who wants a Stepcraft 420?...
:lol: :lol: :lol: