file Question UCCNC and limit-switches, difficulties with

• Huff
  • Huff's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
19 May 2017 15:45 #47387 by Huff
I've only got myself to blame, for I added the T-slot table to an otherwise working Stepcraft, which promptly had an 'attack of the vapours' and now resolutely declines to operate!

The problem is reported as "Reset logic active, etc", which is usually corrected by override/reset in the UCCNC software. This time, despite dismantling to check the x/y/z green limit swtches, and checking their operation mechanically and electrically, I cannot clear the error-code. The x axis limit switch - the bastard right behind the gantry-plate - was mechanicallty stuck, but on freeing, still the error code presents.

I've resistance-tested the limit switches with a multimeter, and am getting some odd results when measuring across the "outside" terminals to which :

The y axis switch reads - half-scale defletion and nil resistance as switch is cycled.
The x axis switch reads - untestable without further dismantling
The Z axis switch reads nil and infinite resistance as switch is cycled

Questions:

1. I believe I have read that these limit switches - which only work in one direction of travel per axis, are only of use in WinPC, and not at all with UCCNC, unless one accidentally "hits the buffers" in the particular direction of travel "protected" by that limit switch. So, if running UCCNC are these switches redundant? (obviously not including the emergency stop button!)

2. If these switches are required for UCCNC, can anyone please suggest a line of enquiry or common-fault, or indeed wiring error, that might account for these values?

Many thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2017 17:53 #47396 by hb9dod
Replied by hb9dod on topic UCCNC and limit-switches, difficulties with
HI

I work with a 420/2 and UCCNC and it works flawlesley

The switches trigger the motorstop on the different axis.

please think that all 3 switches are in serial, so you should measure at the terminals on the stepcraft board and normally measure infinite ohms.. If you trigger one of the switches you should read 0 ohms.

Only measuring the switches does not exclude a pinched cable or something like that.

Good luck

Tom

More
19 May 2017 20:03 - 19 May 2017 20:06 #47406 by Doug
Huff,

I likely had a similar problem when one of the limit switches in my XZ module went open circuit. Basically the wire had pulled off its connector due to it being too short (a problem "a small percentage of users" have also experienced). This thread might be of use.

https://www.stepcraft-systems.com/en/forum/software2/3646-some-issues-with-limits#38682

You can code them out if you're having problems but they ARE useful.

If all limit switches are active, you can home the machine, drive to the machine bed centre (or other reference point), note down the MACHINE co-ordinates (my spoil board centre is currently X = 298.375 mm, Y = 417.247 mm. Then if your machine loses steps or the software crashes and the workpiece is not ruined, you can re-home the machine then drive back to your fixed reference point on the MACHINE co-ordinates and re-zero.

I soldered the wires onto the XZ axis limit switches after dismantling and discovering what the problem was.

Doug

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC
Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery), dsgb.net
Last edit: 19 May 2017 20:06 by Doug.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Huff

More
20 May 2017 10:18 #47418 by peterg1000
Replied by peterg1000 on topic UCCNC and limit-switches, difficulties with
Hi,

If I may, let me set the record straight on limit switch operation.

All three switches are wired in series through normally closed contacts, so if all is correct there will be 0 ohms across all three when not triggered.

Homing any axis causes the machine to drive towards the associated switch until it is triggered and the circuit is opened. This open circuit situation is monitored by UCCNC/Mach3/WinPC, and when detected reverses the axis motion until the circuit recloses (switch hysteresis). At this point the appropriate preset (in the machine profile) offset parameters are loaded into the axis position stores.

If only one axis homing is commanded, operation of the machine stop there. On the other hand if three axis homing is commanded, the remaining axes will execute the above series of actions and the machine will stop in the "all home" position. The same limit switch line is used in all cases, being sent o/c by each axis switch in turn.

Hope that didn't sound too pedantic, I was trying to make the explanation unambiguous.

Peter

SC 420/2, Industrial VFD spindle from StoneyCNC
UC100 + UCCNC
Cut2D, Autosketch10, Draftsight, Eagle 9.5.1

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Huff

• Huff
  • Huff's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
20 May 2017 17:30 #47431 by Huff
Hi Doug, I believe I've amended the settings in "configuration/x/y/z" axes, but the problem hasn't cleared. Attached are screenshots of the post changes for each axis. All the settings have been applied and saved, and UCCNC restarted, the settings having "stuck".

I've still an obstinately flashing reset button that won't clear. The only noticeable difference from before is that the bar on the over-ride button now no longer goes red when pressed.

Thoughts?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
21 May 2017 11:29 #47446 by DocBrown
Replied by DocBrown on topic UCCNC and limit-switches, difficulties with
Check the Diagnostic and if you have disabled softlimits:

No limit switch pressed:

One limit switch pressed (here I pressed Y):

Softlimits disabled:

Did you check if the UC100 interface is connented properly?

Viele Grüße

Hartmut
V2/420 China 800W wassergekühlt
UCCNC & ARDUINO ESTLCAM Controller
ESTLCAM & QCAD
DK5LH/G11

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.