• em1424
  • em1424's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
06 Jan 2015 18:20 #13173 by em1424
StepCraft Spindle was created by em1424
Rory,
In another thread you said "The STEPCRAFT HF spindle is a great addition to your STEPCRAFT system. Bigger cutters and much quieter. It really does open up a lot more possibilities!! Ready to go out of the box."

In the land of 110/115V AC is this true or said another way, would you explain the circiut and hook up from the 110v line to the spindle please and what's in the box from Stepcraft and not.

Thanks,
Leo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2015 11:35 #13197 by woodendonkey
Replied by woodendonkey on topic StepCraft Spindle
Hi Leo

The main thing for me getting the HF spindle was that it takes cutters up to 8mm shank diameter, so you can get bits with 1/4" shank that are hard to find in 3.175mm shank.

Having said that, I have yet to use my 1/4" collet!

A benefit over my Dremel is that the emergency stop on the Stepcraft kills the HF spindle - the Dremel (or Proxxon etc) will keep spinning.

My HF operating instructions state "The control unit and the sealing air pump must be connected to the 230 V mains" - I've not seen mention of a 110V version.

I got the HF350, sealing air pump, control box, connection cable from control box to Step Craft, all cables and hoses included.

Hope this is of some help as you wait for Rory's reply!

Donald

Donald

Learning from mistakes until I become an expert!
The following user(s) said Thank You: em1424

More
07 Jan 2015 19:48 #13211 by Rory
Replied by Rory on topic StepCraft Spindle

em1424 wrote: Rory,
In another thread you said "The STEPCRAFT HF spindle is a great addition to your STEPCRAFT system. Bigger cutters and much quieter. It really does open up a lot more possibilities!! Ready to go out of the box."

In the land of 110/115V AC is this true or said another way, would you explain the circiut and hook up from the 110v line to the spindle please and what's in the box from Stepcraft and not.

Thanks,
Leo

Hi Leo,

The box has
  • spindle
  • Er collet nut
  • Spindle driver (plugged into AC mains)
  • Air pump (plugged into AC mains)

The driver for the spindle is powered using a AC/DC transformer - so the single phase AC 230V waveform is chopped up to DC and then input into the speed controller. We will have to check but usually these transformers work on both 110V AC up to 230V AC.

I will ask STEPCRAFT. The machines are soon to be available in the US (if not already) so I would expect the transformer to be compatible and a suitable airpump specified. Will chase these details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: em1424

• em1424
  • em1424's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
08 Jan 2015 05:09 - 08 Jan 2015 05:11 #13235 by em1424
Replied by em1424 on topic StepCraft Spindle
Rory,
My house phone and therefore the shop phone was dead all day Wednesday until late this afternoon. So I was off line! Thanks for the info of what's in the box. I will contact the US operation and see about 110V. I have 220 in the shop but I would have to add another 220 circuit just for this little guy.
Thanks,
Leo
Last edit: 08 Jan 2015 05:11 by em1424. Reason: no edit

More
04 Dec 2015 00:39 - 04 Dec 2015 00:40 #27833 by Robert@isd
Replied by Robert@isd on topic StepCraft Spindle
110 will work.
They even provide an extra ground wire for the machine itself. That is to say, the machine has no plug and therefore isn't grounded though electricity is flowing through it.

Glad I saw this post; didn't get the gist of the ground wire.

We just got an 840 in with this spindle and orange box.
Robert
Last edit: 04 Dec 2015 00:40 by Robert@isd. Reason: wanted to check the little box for notifications.