• Nixonline
  • Nixonline's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
24 Apr 2015 15:46 #19420 by Nixonline
Questions about Stepcraft 2 was created by Nixonline
Hello,

I'm thinking to purchase a Stepcraft 2 600 or 840 and have some questions.

1. Will the coming ATC work with the current exhaust adapter?

2. I would love to create a sound+dust proof enclosure for office use, and I guess that having a slanted CNC router can help to reduce the size of the footprint and also improve the access to the platform.

What happens if the whole machine is slant mounted, let's say... on a 30 or 45 degree angle, or why not even vertical?

Will it have any impact on any of the tool attachments or in any way interfere with the correct functioning of the machine? (I'm most interested on 3D milling anyway).

2.1 Will the ATC work properly if the Stepcraft is slanted? The video that was posted on Kickstarter doens't show a very stable tool docking (or whatever is called).

Thanks and regards!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MagIO2
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Zu viele Ideen und zu wenig Zeit
More
24 Apr 2015 15:58 - 24 Apr 2015 15:59 #19421 by MagIO2
Replied by MagIO2 on topic Questions about Stepcraft 2
I think that it might be problematic to slant mount the machine. The bigger the angle the worse.
Problem is that at 90 degree the full weight of the Z axis (if slanted towards one side) or the full weight of the whole portal (if slanted towards it's front/back) will add to the weight of the tool. The motors might then be too weak to move and/or hold that weight properly.

You could mount it on the ceiling, which also removes the need to mount the exhaust adapter for keeping the working area clean :lol:

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas
Last edit: 24 Apr 2015 15:59 by MagIO2.

• Nixonline
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
24 Apr 2015 16:05 #19423 by Nixonline
Replied by Nixonline on topic Questions about Stepcraft 2
Hello Andreas, thanks for your answer.

1. Are you 100% positive that the weight of the Z axis will in fact be a problem for the motors? (if slanted to one side)

If yes:

2. Is it possible to upgrade the motors?

Do you know anything about points 1 and 2.1 of my previous post?

Thanks and regards!

• MagIO2
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
24 Apr 2015 17:59 #19433 by MagIO2
No, I am not sure, I only see the chance. Of course it also depends on the weight of the spindle you plan to use and the material you want to cut. Best chance to get a reliable answer is to ask Stepcraft.

No, you can not easyly change the steppers alone, because the motor driver board limits the currency of the steppers. Easy solution woulb be to replace the motor driver board and the steppers. Hard solution would be to modify the board. Maybe Stepcraft would help here as well?

No idea about 1 and 2.1, I also only know the ATC from the video.

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nixonline

• Nixonline
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
24 Apr 2015 18:04 - 24 Apr 2015 18:05 #19435 by Nixonline
I would be using the HF-Spindle 500 + ATC when it comes up (I mention because it will add some weight) and I should suppose the worst case that would be cutting aluminum.

I hope we can get an official Stepcraft answer on all these questions.

Thanks again!
Last edit: 24 Apr 2015 18:05 by Nixonline. Reason: edited typos

• MagIO2
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
24 Apr 2015 19:53 #19438 by MagIO2
Don't count on getting an answer here in the forum, you should send them an email.

Gruß, Andreas

• Nixonline
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
24 Apr 2015 20:43 #19440 by Nixonline
I did already. I will share the answer here if/when they reply to my email.

Cheers!