file Question Portal Step-up (Portalerhöhung)

• julius
  • julius's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
27 Apr 2015 23:20 #19708 by julius
Portal Step-up (Portalerhöhung) was created by julius
Today I have spent all day in mounting the high portal from Stepcraft.
Honestly was a pain in the ass! :lol:

I had to dismantle almost all the machine, mainly because the cable going to the X-motor goes through an hole of the old portal. So you have to unplug all the wires, get them out from the black pipe and fit+plug them again. A lot of work.

But the "fantastic" thing is that you have to grind the head of a screw close to the Y-switch to avoi the new wheels to hit it in place of the switch itself. :blink:

I was lucky 'cause I had the vise that I bought few days ago from CNC-plus.de and a set of file to grind the screw. But I think that this is not the standard equipment for an hobbyst...
You have to "flat" the screw to 0.5 mm of thickness and measure it with a gauge (if you don't have it, you're done).
Wow! Was a funny experience, but... I think that (maybe) not everybody will be so content with that. :dry:

Here below the screw "screwed" on another M3 bolt to make the filing possible:

Suggestions:

1)
Please improve the way cables are keep in position around the portal, i.e. avoiding to exploit the metal parts of it. Specific plastic components (cnc machined?) should be used instead.

2)
Grinding the screw is not really necessary for mounting the portal step-up IMO.
It's enough to attach/glue a little metal plate in front of the right portal. In this way the switch will be closed before the portal wheel touch the head of the screw. B)

SC300 + Spindle HF500 + Portalerhöhung + LinuxCNC + gsimple

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.