file Question First cut a disaster

• skybound38
  • skybound38's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
07 Aug 2016 15:49 #36428 by skybound38
First cut a disaster was created by skybound38
After finally getting the machine to go where I want I tried cutting a basic 2.75 dia. circle out of 6061 T6 aluminum. I quickly snapped three 1/8 end mills and 1 1/8 ball nose mill experimenting with different feeds and speeds...My plunge rate and cut depth were off at first but next, trying a 1/4" end mill the result was terrible. The machine starts chattering and jumping all over the place....I notice some place in my Z axis....Not sure if it's from the chattering or if it was that way before.....I hope I can figure out how to cut aluminum with this thing.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2016 17:13 - 07 Aug 2016 17:15 #36430 by DocBrown
Replied by DocBrown on topic First cut a disaster
Aluminium and plastic are the most difficult materials.

You should slow down the spindle speed. I always use max. 5000 rpm and cut deep per cycle 0.02 inch (0,5mm).
Also I ever use a mixture of water, ethyl alcohol and washing-up fluid for cooling...just some drops to keep it wet (hope I found the correct words... :lol: ).

It is important that the end-mill will cut the material. If the spindle speed is to hight it will rub the aluminium, getting hot.

(not my video...)

Viele Grüße

Hartmut
V2/420 China 800W wassergekühlt
UCCNC & ARDUINO ESTLCAM Controller
ESTLCAM & QCAD
DK5LH/G11
Last edit: 07 Aug 2016 17:15 by DocBrown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: skybound38

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.