file Question Aluminum Edge Offeset Problem

• Ivan2
  • Ivan2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
29 Nov 2017 22:30 - 29 Nov 2017 22:43 #51418 by Ivan2
Aluminum Edge Offeset Problem was created by Ivan2
I'm milling out a heatsink out of 1060 and I'm having an issue with the Y-axis. There doesn't seem to be any alignment issues on the left edge of each fin, but for some reason the right edge is being offset slowly to the right after each layer. I attached a picture showing the part.

The cut was made to be a 90 degree Y axis raster so the gap cuts were small left to right movements on the Y axis with a 1/16" bit. The pocket cut that was done with a 1/8" bit before this did not have any issues. Anyone know what might be causing this?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 29 Nov 2017 22:43 by Ivan2.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2017 12:34 #51424 by Gael
Replied by Gael on topic Aluminum Edge Offeset Problem
Hi!
It looks like that at each pass, you are skipping some steps and get shifted.
Have you already investigated in this direction?

Gaël

More
30 Nov 2017 18:59 #51428 by CNCMiller
Replied by CNCMiller on topic Aluminum Edge Offeset Problem
Ivan,

have you checked if all set nuts on the axis are tight, at mine machine these started to loosen after 50/60 hr of milling.
This resulted in oval circles instead of nice round ones, looks similar to your problem.

good luck

SC 1/420 + Gantry extension, Kress 1050 FME-P, NeJe 20W Laser, WinPC-NC USB v4.00, Vectric Aspire 9, SolidWorks 2021

• Ivan2
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
30 Nov 2017 20:09 #51429 by Ivan2
Replied by Ivan2 on topic Aluminum Edge Offeset Problem
Hi guys, thanks for your responses. I don't believe it is an alignment issue because it is not a symmetrical issue. If the step got shifted then both edges of the fin should be cut wrong.

I'm starting to think it is a software issue. After I let the machining continue, the ramping stopped and milled straight down at the right dimension for the last 4mm. For some reason the gap between the fins were doubled for the first couple layers and then slowly ramped to the correct dimension for the last 4mm.

My Vectric software and UCCNC modeling shows the fins are cut at vertical walls, but that clearly did not happen in reality. I'm really at a loss on why this could be happening.

• Ivan2
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
30 Nov 2017 20:11 - 30 Nov 2017 20:12 #51430 by Ivan2
Replied by Ivan2 on topic Aluminum Edge Offeset Problem
What type of investigating should I be doing?

I don't believe it is a hardware issue since the mill eventually gets to the right place. (As I explain in the post above)
Last edit: 30 Nov 2017 20:12 by Ivan2.

More
30 Nov 2017 23:52 #51434 by peterg1000
Replied by peterg1000 on topic Aluminum Edge Offeset Problem
Why not describe your problem to Vectric - software bugs are not that rare!!

SC 420/2, Industrial VFD spindle from StoneyCNC
UC100 + UCCNC
Cut2D, Autosketch10, Draftsight, Eagle 9.5.1

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.

More
01 Dec 2017 13:40 #51438 by Gael
Replied by Gael on topic Aluminum Edge Offeset Problem
Hi Peter,

On the image you sent, the fins on the left row and on the front row look shifted on both sides.
Did your CAM software defined a tool path that would make the problem visible only on some specific rows of fins?

Gaël