• alexkk
  • alexkk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
08 Oct 2016 14:13 #38092 by alexkk
Operating time & spindle was created by alexkk
Hello to everybody,

I would like to ask how long is the maximum time that would be the ideal for the machine to work?
For example if I have a 90-minutes job would it be safe?
And second, if there is other motor than the HF 500 that can fit in the Stepcraft (600) machine which can carry collets larger than ER-11 in order to use bigger end-mills.

Thank you for your time
Alexandros

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2016 21:45 #38115 by Doug
Replied by Doug on topic Operating time & spindle
I can't answer this but Rory said Kress and Stepcraft HF spindles can run all day. My first planned jobs are 2 to 9 hours estimated cut times.

Doug

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC
Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery), dsgb.net
The following user(s) said Thank You: alexkk

• alexkk
  • alexkk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
09 Oct 2016 22:47 #38117 by alexkk
Replied by alexkk on topic Operating time & spindle
Thank you Doug,

You helped a lot. My project requires a lot of working hours and I wasn't sure if the machine can take it.
I guess the end mill will be the most vulnerable to break after so much time of continuous usage.

More
10 Oct 2016 11:31 - 10 Oct 2016 11:31 #38126 by Doug
Replied by Doug on topic Operating time & spindle

alexkk wrote: Thank you Doug,

You helped a lot. My project requires a lot of working hours and I wasn't sure if the machine can take it.
I guess the end mill will be the most vulnerable to break after so much time of continuous usage.

I don't see how running the machine for a long time will break the end mill. It will eventually become blunt but not for a long time if it's a carbide end mill.

I am a little concerned about the machine missing steps based on what I have read on here. I don't know how common this is, especially if the machine is well tuned. Hopefully it won't be a problem. I will try a few practice cuts to see what happens before committing any decent tonewood.

I'll let you know when I eventually get up and running.

Doug

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC
Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery), dsgb.net
Last edit: 10 Oct 2016 11:31 by Doug.

More
23 Oct 2016 21:17 #38534 by MACHINE CRAFTED
Replied by MACHINE CRAFTED on topic Operating time & spindle
I machined a 4 hour job without issues.
Cutter breakage is usually from hitting clamps. (3mm cutter)
As for missing steps that would most likely be from having too tightly adjusted slideways, or milling cutter machining too fast.
Depending on the material being machined, but wood is normaly not a problem from my experience.

Stepcraft 420 (version 1) - HXKJ-GS52-400W Air cooled DC spindle - 445nm Blue Laser diode G2

More
24 Nov 2016 03:50 #39723 by Remotruker
Replied by Remotruker on topic Operating time & spindle
I had issues with missing steps all the time. Got rid of the crap lubricant they ship with the machine and am using White Lithium based on Stepcraft USA's suggestion. Difference is NIGHT and DAY. The stuff they send with the machine will get stiff in temperatures less than 65 degrees F.

Stepcraft 2 420
500 Watt Spindle
3D Printing System
3d Probe
T-Slot Table

Tooling:
1/8" 60 Deg 4 Flute V Bit
1/8" 4-Flute Square Nose End Mill
1/8" 2 Flute Ball Nose End Mill
1/16" 2 Flute Ball Nose End Mill

UCCNC and VCarve Pro

Total Newbie!