file Question Newbie from Belgium.. with questions.

• GeeDee
  • GeeDee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
06 Jun 2014 16:20 #5821 by GeeDee
Hi Guys,

Sorry not to speak German, but most of you understand English, I think.

My name is Gerry, I'm from Belgium, and I am completly new to the CNC-business. I'm 100% noob, 100% newbie. :)

I'm interested in buying a 420 (maybe a 600) but before buying, I need your advise.

The main reason I want to use the machine is to fabricate prototypes to make polyester moulds.

Lets say, for example, I want to make a polyester speaker-housing (for a surround sound system at home).
At first, before making a mould, I need to make a prototype.
See the pictures of the prototype, so you can get the idea what I want to fabricate.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I can make this prototype by hand, but it is more fun to use a SC to make it. Isn't it? :) Besides the fun-factor, a CNC fabricated prototype is much more correct then hand made!

Now my questions:

1. I own a PC with a parallel port. So I can go for the SC420, parallel interface, pricetag : 879.01 euro. Correct?

2. As I understand, at first I have to design the parts, and then export the file to dxf-format, and then use something like WinPC-CNC Economy to make a file and send it to the CNC-machine. Correct?

3. If 2 is correct, then for the first step, can I use sketchup? Asking this because sketchup is free, and there is a lot of drawings available in the internet. Which alternatives do you guys advise me, keeping in mind the sort of work I want to do with it.

4. If 2 is correct, for the second step I can use WinPC-CNC Economy. Are there alternatives.. (cheaper?).
Keep in mind that one function I really need, because of the rather big objects I want to make, is a function
to devide the object in slices, for example the thickness of an MDF-plate.

5. What kind of insertion tool do you advise me for a. MDF 18 mm, and b. aluminium 6 mm?

6. Other things I think I need :
- Proxxon Spindle : 79.00
- Adapter 43-20 : 13.90
- Adapter 43-M19x2 : 13.90 (I already have a dremel, and I want to use that too)
- Tool length Sensor : 39.90
- WinPC NC Economy or alternative : Price ??

Looking forward to your answers, and.. thanks for helping me out.

Gerry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2014 20:34 #5825 by gartenzwerg1969
Replied by gartenzwerg1969 on topic Newbie from Belgium.. with questions.
1. I own a PC with a parallel port. So I can go for the SC420, parallel interface, pricetag : 879.01 euro. Correct?

Correct, but USB is much easier to use

2. As I understand, at first I have to design the parts, and then export the file to dxf-format, and then use something like WinPC-CNC Economy to make a file and send it to the CNC-machine. Correct?

First; the design, export to DXF
Second : a CAM Program to define the lines to mill.
Third: WINPC

3. If 2 is correct, then for the first step, can I use sketchup? Asking this because sketchup is free, and there is a lot of drawings available in the internet. Which alternatives do you guys advise me, keeping in mind the sort of work I want to do with it.

If you get DXF out of Sketchup its Ok.

4. If 2 is correct, for the second step I can use WinPC-CNC Economy. Are there alternatives.. (cheaper?).
Keep in mind that one function I really need, because of the rather big objects I want to make, is a function
to devide the object in slices, for example the thickness of an MDF-plate.

Take the USB Version and you get the starter Version of WINPC with your SC

5. What kind of insertion tool do you advise me for a. MDF 18 mm, and b. aluminium 6 mm?

MDF is much cheaper

6. Other things I think I need :
- Proxxon Spindle : 79.00
- Adapter 43-20 : 13.90
- Adapter 43-M19x2 : 13.90 (I already have a dremel, and I want to use that too)
- Tool length Sensor : 39.90
- WinPC NC Economy or alternative : Price ??

I think the tool length sensor needs WINPC full version ???

PS: the SC ist a great tool.

many greetings
jörg

More
06 Jun 2014 21:03 - 06 Jun 2014 21:23 #5827 by Worldhusky
Replied by Worldhusky on topic Newbie from Belgium.. with questions.
Hello Gerry,

gartenzwerg1969 wrote: 3. If 2 is correct, then for the first step, can I use sketchup? Asking this because sketchup is free, and there is a lot of drawings available in the internet. Which alternatives do you guys advise me, keeping in mind the sort of work I want to do with it.

If you get DXF out of Sketchup its Ok.

Unfortunately the current "Free" Sketchup Version is unable to save or export into the dxf Format. :(
However - Basic question for a Design Software recommendation should be:
You are considering a 2D (.dxf) or 3D (.stl etc.) drawing software?
If you are more in the market for a 2D/dxf solution I would recommend the free QCAD edition .

If you like to try it - it's free ;)
QCAD Trial download

It's not only about tools it's also about skills! ;)
Last edit: 06 Jun 2014 21:23 by Worldhusky.

• OpaHoppenstedt
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • SC 300 an LinuxCNC
More
09 Jul 2014 21:12 #6485 by OpaHoppenstedt
Replied by OpaHoppenstedt on topic Newbie from Belgium.. with questions.
There is an installable extension available on the web that adds a "DXF save" function to Sketchup Make.

Wilhelm