file Frage Long Vacuum Extraction Dust Skirt/Brush

Mehr
10 Feb 2017 19:44 #44076 von Doug
Long Vacuum Extraction Dust Skirt/Brush wurde erstellt von Doug
I require a dust skirt/brush with longer brushes than the standard item's 20 mm long brushes because I use long end mills.

Can anybody point me towards a replacement 1 1/2" (38 mm) wide brush insert for the Stepcraft item.

Yes, I can Google and eBay but I am hoping for a quick response.

Thanks in anticipation.

Doug

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC
Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery), dsgb.net

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
13 Feb 2017 22:52 #44287 von MMorao
While you're there perhaps you might think of inventing some wider than 38mm attachment, for if you use a longer skirt you'll run an increased risk of having it getting in the cutter's way and your skirt will quickly become short again.

Clockwork Orange is a S600 with 4th axis, Kress 1050. Software is UCCNC, DeskProto, Rhino, DraftSight. Also a Silhouette Cameo for vinyl, plastic card, etc.

Mehr
14 Feb 2017 08:17 - 14 Feb 2017 08:20 #44296 von DerRoy
Hi,

I use strip brushes from Mink. But I have a DIY made suction head.
Here is the link:

Mink

I bought them here:

Enobi

BR
Roy

MfG
Roy

SC 600/2; SolidWorks; UCCnC und UC100; EstlCam und Arduino Steuerung; KRESS 800kfme;
Letzte Änderung: 14 Feb 2017 08:20 von DerRoy.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Doug

Mehr
14 Feb 2017 13:54 #44323 von Doug
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll look into your suggestion Roy.

Regards.

Doug

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC

Mehr
14 Feb 2017 14:04 #44325 von DerRoy
By the way, I use the 30mm long ones and I can say, you can really drive Z down to the rubber part and the brush easily bends without any problems.

MfG
Roy

SC 600/2; SolidWorks; UCCnC und UC100; EstlCam und Arduino Steuerung; KRESS 800kfme;
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Doug

Mehr
16 Feb 2017 19:16 #44420 von Doug
O.k., thanks.

I am looking at getting an EMCELBN carbide end mill, extra length, ball nose 4 flute (5 mm diameter, 31 mm flute length) ball end mill:

www.drill-service.co.uk/Product.asp?Parent=100120500000&Tool=173

www.knighton-tools.co.uk/acatalog/CARBIDE_CUTTERS.html

On the underside of my guitar neck, I will need to mill down to 36-38 mm depth so I am looking at two separate toolpaths on the underside with removal of uncut stock at the sides in between to avoid fouling.

I could run the roughing toolpath with a bigger end mill but I want to avoid manual tool changes with the requirement to re-zero the Z axis. The geometry has a 5 mm rounded bottom truss rod channel to mill so I can't go any bigger than a 5 mm ball end or else this won't cut correctly.

Doug

Mehr
17 Feb 2017 08:36 #44437 von MMorao
Sounds challenging, I'm sure you'll make it B)

Re "requirement to re-zero the Z axis", I got the standard Tool Length Sensor and it works a charm. Peterg1000 invented a better mousetrap but I'm happy with this one, no tinkering, no measuring, no testing, no swearing at all. Drop your z-axis on the button and your zeroed.

Clockwork Orange is a S600 with 4th axis, Kress 1050. Software is UCCNC, DeskProto, Rhino, DraftSight. Also a Silhouette Cameo for vinyl, plastic card, etc.

Mehr
17 Feb 2017 23:01 #44471 von peterg1000
peterg1000 antwortete auf Long Vacuum Extraction Dust Skirt/Brush
Agreed - a tool length sensor is an absolute must have, no guesswork and spot on every time. I did find that once I used double speed probing the second approach needed to be really slow for most consistent results- I set mine to 30 steps / second with a raise of 1mm after the fast approach trigger.

Whilst I'm waiting for Rory to take delivery of some VFD spindles ( like Doug's ), I'm making an even better mousetrap to allow 3 axis probing. My prototype works well but was very difficult to adjust - the new one incorporates a stroke of genius for the adjustment. I'll post some pictures when I've finished making parts.

SC 420/2, Industrial VFD spindle from StoneyCNC
UC100 + UCCNC
Cut2D, Autosketch10, Draftsight, Eagle 9.5.1

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.

Mehr
18 Feb 2017 18:05 #44496 von MMorao
If you manage to do that your glory shall elicit praise for times immortal :woohoo:

Mehr
19 Feb 2017 21:45 #44566 von peterg1000
As promised - an almost complete kit of parts for the super mousetrap!!

Peter

UC100 + UCCNC

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.

Dieser Beitrag enthält einen Bildanhang.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um ihn zu sehen.

Mehr
20 Feb 2017 19:08 #44599 von Doug
I bought a Stepcraft tool height/zeroing sensor but removed it because I somehow didn't trust it compared to zeroing with a cigarette paper!

Doug

Mehr
20 Feb 2017 20:00 #44609 von DerRoy
You can trust it, you just need to measure and set it up correct.
I use mine since the beginning and won't miss it anymore.

MfG
Roy

Mehr
22 Apr 2017 10:49 #46565 von nd595
Hmmm... Could be done with some 2-3 telescopic rings. I will think about it, try and if it works I will put all the info here.

Mehr
22 Apr 2017 12:04 - 22 Apr 2017 12:05 #46569 von Doug

DerRoy schrieb: You can trust it, you just need to measure and set it up correct.
I use mine since the beginning and won't miss it anymore.

O.k. so I reinstalled mine while the Steppi was propped up on bricks and gave it a try. All good but it was about 0.35 mm off so obviously some settings need tweaked. Sadly, I have got into the habit of using the cigarette paper.

Doug

Letzte Änderung: 22 Apr 2017 12:05 von Doug.

Mehr
24 Apr 2017 19:32 - 24 Apr 2017 19:53 #46630 von Doug

DerRoy schrieb: Hi,

I use strip brushes from Mink. But I have a DIY made suction head.
Here is the link:

https://www.mink-buersten.com/produkte-shop/leistenbuersten/flex-system/zur-artikelauswahl/produktauswahl-fbl.html?id_artikelkategorie=275

I bought them here:

Enobi

BR
Roy

Hi Roy.

After the huge amount of sawdust and chips generated from my attempt at cutting a guitar neck (see latest video), I have resolved to design my own dust skirt/shoe. This is what most amateur CNC operators do it seems. The problem is two-fold: the StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle axle is shrouded by the Stepcraft exhaust adapter and the industrial spindle blocks the mounting screw meaning that to change cutters, the spindle has to be removed from the orange plate. Also the brushes are far too short for my application. There is one available to buy here but is very expensive:

https://www.kentcnc.net/nc

and it is not known whether this will fit the Stepcraft system in any case.

I have had a look for flexible brush strips in the U.K. and my searches did not turn anything up, or at least turned up plenty of brush strips for domestic door draught exclusion but they all seem to be encased in an electrogalvanised mild steel channel and housed in an extruded mill finished aluminium alloy carrier.

I could buy the Mink-Buersten 50 mm flexible brush strip from Enobi but they charge 30 Euro to ship to the U.K. and I could do with 75 mm long brushes. I measured up the industrial quality HF spindle and there is about 25 mm axle stickout from the orange base plate. Couple this with about 50 mm cutter stickout on a modified long reach cutter and I'm way beyond 50 mm. :(

Anyway, I plan to use 12 mm clear cast acrylic sheet for the top of the shoe (13 mm still leaves enough room on the spindle axle flat to attach the spanner) with a 15 mm cast acrylic rod with a stainless steel threaded insert for the locating button and a 24 mm cast acrylic tube for the exhaust port. I will design a simple shape for the top sheet in CAD with a channel for the brush strip, a 24 mm diameter straight through hole to insert the exhaust port and a 8 mm deep rebate to accommodate the 15 mm round bar and mill this myself from the acrylic sheet.

Doug

Letzte Änderung: 24 Apr 2017 19:53 von Doug.

Mehr
24 Apr 2017 21:23 - 24 Apr 2017 21:29 #46635 von Doug
I think I will have to use a thin, soft (probably silicone) rubber sealing strip and fashion it into a makeshift skirt by scoring it with a craft knife every 2 mm or so along the length.

Doug

Letzte Änderung: 24 Apr 2017 21:29 von Doug.

Mehr
25 Apr 2017 18:47 - 25 Apr 2017 18:48 #46644 von Doug
I have had another think about this and I think these 75 mm door brush seals from Screwfix will just screw on to the side of a rectangular (100 x 75 x 12 mm thick) acrylic sheet if I put some threaded inserts around the edge:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/stormguard-industrial-door-brush-seal-aluminium-effect-1-25m-2-pack/95547

The filaments appear to be fairly soft polypropylene which is good. If I use a coach bolt to mount it through the 15 mm locating rod with a wing nut or nyloc nut on the bottom face of the orange mounting plate, then it will be very easy to remove to change cutters.

I will report back when I get this made.

Doug

Letzte Änderung: 25 Apr 2017 18:48 von Doug.

Mehr
25 Apr 2017 19:47 - 25 Apr 2017 19:48 #46647 von MMorao
Doug, I've been using the standard tool length sensor for Z-axis and I like it a lot. I have used the paper method before but the sensor was a very welcome addition. Besides, I don't smoke.

peterg1000 schrieb: As promised - an almost complete kit of parts for the super mousetrap!!

Hi Peter, how's this going? I've been working with the 4th axis a lot and accurate zeroing alignment of the y-axis is crucial. I have been employing an optical method I brought in from an entirely different context, for now with Eyeball Mk.1 I get a <0.5mm error which for me is too much. I can improve on this with time and proper instruments but it will always be terribly time consuming. So if you have a better solution you'd like to share I'd be interested :cheer:

Letzte Änderung: 25 Apr 2017 19:48 von MMorao.

Mehr
26 Apr 2017 15:18 #46672 von peterg1000
Hi,

The "super mousetrap" works exceedingly well. I don't have the tools available to accurately measure the sensitivity, but using the UCCNC DRO the trip point is repeatable to better than .01mm (0.0004") both vertically and horizontally.

PCB was milled on my SC420/2 and uses polished phosphor bronze balls ans gold plated connector pins for the electrical "clever bits". Centre carrier is black delrin with a Renishaw ruby stylus. Metalwork made on my mini lathe and mini mill with the help of a precision rotary table for accurate drilling of critical holes.

Peter

UC100 + UCCNC

Mehr
04 Mai 2017 08:23 #46861 von Doug
I'm still working on this design, hopefully I'll cut the 12 mm acrylic sheet this weekend.

I realised just yesterday that since I won't be using the Stepcraft HF spindle exhaust system ever again (the StoneyCNC small industrial HF spindle fully obscures the exhaust port), I can just attach my VonHaus ash vacuum's hose (38 mm i. d. on the plastic coupling) directly to my DIY dust shoe, rather than keep on using the length of 24 mm i.d. hose from the Stepcraft kit).

Therefore I'm now on my second revision! I assemble the GCode manually by decrementing successive 0.5 mm depths per pass using the output from MeshCAM's "pencil cleanup" toolpaths. I ordered a length of 38 mm o.d. acrylic tube for the exhaust flue yesterday.

Incidentally, if anybody wants the Stepcraft HF spindle exhaust kit, I am happy to sell it. The new price is now £72.00 including VAT from StoneyCNC. I have drilled and retapped a mouting bolt hole right through the mounting bush but other than that, it has been little used. I could probably do it for £40 + shipping.

Doug